6/23/19

A Horse with No Tail

On the first part of the journey...

An ear worm has infected me. You have to be "vintage" to appreciate it. I blame this block made yesterday from the CTC Sew-along. It was created by Nicola Dodd and it's called "Dala Horse." You can find the instructions right here.


These are the Countdown to Christmas blocks, and originally, they were intended to be done in red and white. Mine are in blues and greens. I couldn't figure out a good way to use that color combination for this block, and so my fabric choice for the horse included both colors in the same fabric. I had a little trouble with the legs on mine and ended up using an extra piece of white on both sides to avoid having a raw edge. It gives my horse a look as if he's ready for the glue factory. And no tail? Well, pardon my ignorance about this, but it seems the Dala Horse is a Swedish thing. You can read about it right here.

Speaking of critters with no tails, have you met my little black cat?


This is her mug shot after she escaped from the house yesterday through an open door. We got her in profile too.


She had a little adventure that ended when she was enticed into the open-door of the catio for some treats and the door closed behind her tail-less little rear end. Capturing her took up the remainder of my sewing day. She's not a bit sorry.

There was time for some slow stitching in the morning, and I finished off the remainder of this section.


Today I'll start here. This section contains the dreaded cast-on stitch. It's probably good that I started in a different place.


Mike and I went out yesterday to look at bird houses...only, I sent him a link about them before we left. In the link were contained plans to build bird houses for the violet-green swallows. When he saw how easy it was, he decided to buy the lumber and build them himself. We ate lunch out, which is always too much food, and so we took naps when we got home.

Before Sadie's grand adventure, I was out to get a better picture of the daylilies. They were so pretty in the afternoon sun.



Also, I noticed some of the sunflowers are forming their first buds.


The lavender is beautiful right now. It's very fragrant too.


This morning I'll get back to my slow stitching. There's another CTC sew-along block to make, and then, I'm hoping to get a start on Clementine's Pawtrait.

16 comments:

Becky said...

Love, love, love how the daisies turned out.

Debbie said...

I am giggling over Sadie's adventure and then capture. I remember how it is to herd a cat into an enclosed area. As for the horse, if you want to add a tail (like Sadie's) use so floss and snip it short:) just kidding. The block looks fine.
Beautiful lavender....recently discovered I have developed an allergy to it. Sad face over that.

QUILTING IS BLISSFUL, DI said...

Nice horse block and I like the colors--even with no tail!!!
Sadie you bad kitty--but I bet you had a lot of fun while being chased!!!
and everytime I think I got a sunflower growing good--a squirrel comes along and chews off the stalk and eats it--bad squirrel!!!!
luv, di

Karrin Hurd said...

Nice horse block, love the colors. Love your flowers and Sadie is precious.

quiltzyx said...

Naughty, naughty Sadie! But she does take a lovely mug shot, doesn't she?

We seem to plant a lot of Daylilies at the properties we maintain down here. Must mean that they're drought-tolerant, as well as being pretty. The Lavender looks luscious!

Quilter Kathy said...

Such pretty stitched flowers! I also really like that buttonhole fan stitch!
Enjoy your stitching today and thanks for linking up!

gpc said...

Oh yeah, same ear worm here, ever since I saw the photo in my Facebook feed . . . but I like the story of the Dala horses way better than the symbol I learned about in Pompeii, where we saw painted on walls and sold in souvenir shops their ancient symbol of protection, a winged phallus. At least the symbols there didn't bring any old songs to mind. As for Sadie, girls just wanna have fun. And your lillies are lovely. I have a few, just forming buds.

Vroomans' Quilts said...

Shady Sadie!! Dahla horses are usually straight legged, but yours does have character. Our lilies and lavendar are about 2 weeks behind.

kc said...

Guess I'm not vintage enough, I have no idea what song might be stuck in your ear. ??? But I can see how sorry Sadie was....NOT! Not at all! :) The lilies are looking pretty, and so are the other flowers. I can almost smell the lavender through the screen!

Why do you dread the cast-on stitch? And where might it be going? It looked to me like you had already started most of the elements. How do you keep all your colors straight when you start and stop them like that? Do you just have the needles hanging, or tuck them in somewhere? Or do you change thread colors on a single needle or two?

Dorothy said...

My heart sank when I read that Sadie escaped, So glad that she is back home safe. But her mug shot does not look the least bit remorseful :-)

Carol- Beads and Birds said...

Okay, I had to run that tune through my head...horse with no tail? Something was not right, but I remembered it, lol. Glad you got your kitty in. I read another blog that posted about her dog going into the woods and being attacked by a Coyote. Scary. My day lilies are just forming buds. I have petunias in pots on the deck. Their colors should be vibrant but they are pale. I wonder if it's because we have had few sunny days. The weather guy told us that we have had an average of 5 cloudy days out of every 7 days for the last few months. We dodged a tornado yesterday so life is good!
xx, Carol

Vivian said...

So glad you caught your little runner ! I'm sure that she only allowed herself to be enticed back into the catico with treats when she was good and ready too - going by the length of time that it took for you to catch her. Darn good thing you had a nap first or was that after? I love the pictures of your gardens. Yours are at least a month ahead of mine I figure so I am really enjoying the flowers. The dala horse is beautiful as it is.

SJSM said...

🎶 it’s so good to get out of the rain🎶 Yep, I singing it! Vintage, baby. Glad Sadie is back. Well back to the ear worm. 🎶on the desert ....🎶

Beth said...

Oh my gosh! Sadie picked an awful time to play games, with the coyotes on the prowl. My heart races just thinking about it. Too bad she won't appreciate your protection, and is likely planning her next Great Escape right now.

piecefulwendy said...

Oh, I do love that song, so not minding the ear worm! I have a few Dala horses; my mother was Swedish and loved all things Swedish decor. I kept some of it after she passed away, and the horses were part of it. Oh my gosh, Sadie! Did your heart sink into your toes when you discovered she had escaped? That little stinker -- and I'm sure she made the most of being enticed back in. Her photos are a hoot; she doesn't look a bit sad about her criminal activity. Haha.

CathieJ said...

Sadie doesn't look the least bit remorseful. I like your horse and your beautiful flowers.