5/29/19

Squirrely

When I finished up my slow-stitching yesterday, I looked out the window to see this:


It's a little squirrel kit. As I watched, I saw another one...


And then another...


By the time they'd all showed themselves, there were four.


They play rough and tumble like kittens.


They're awfully cute. When I look at them, I see cute baby squirrels. Smitty sees a delicious snack. These are ground squirrels we call "grey diggers." They can be very destructive, and so they'll need to mind their manners. About every several years, we have to cull the herd and find new jobs for some of them. When we drive up to the house after being away, we see squirrels of all kinds running off in different directions. Now, with these four joining the party, it's starting to look worrisome. Time will tell.

So I went over what I had on my agenda for yesterday. The weather was looking good, and so I decided to get after the weeds and then do my grocery shopping today, Wednesday. I spent about an hour weeding, and took some pictures of the purple rhododendron. It's the last to bloom, but it's my favorite...definitely, this one is my favorite.


Such enormous clusters of deep purple flowers.


And then I admired the poppy some more. The center is about the size of a ping pong ball.


I expect this one will be next to bloom.


Can you tell I'm excited about the poppies?


So, while I was standing there thinking about being free to sew for the rest of the day, I received a text from my hairdresser reminding me of my haircut appointment today. Holy sh*t! I forgot all about that. Oh well, not to worry, I told myself. I'll just go to the grocery store on Thursday. Only, then I looked at my calendar and realized I was getting a pedicure on Thursday. And no matter how I figured it, I couldn't find a way to put off grocery shopping. I had to do it yesterday. And it was a big shop. And as everyone knows, the real work of grocery shopping begins when you get home with sacks of groceries in the car. Bummer.

Well, before leaving, I baked off the third of three loaves of bread from the dough I made last week.


We had slices of toast for breakfast with plenty of butta this morning. I like mine with carrot cake jam. Of all the jams I've made, this one is my favorite. It's delicious with a toasted crusty slice of bread. If you like carrot cake, you'll love this jam.


And even though I was exhausted after I had the groceries put away, I still made it into the sewing room to finish off the 48 quilt blocks for the Guatemala quilt.


Now they're ready to be sewn into a quilt top.

Today I'll be getting my hair cut, and then I'll have most of the afternoon to start sewing these together. I'd like to have them into a finished quilt top by the end of the day on Friday. Think I'll make it?

7 comments:

Vicki W said...

The quilt with the Guatemalan fabrics is going to be so cool!

Sandra W said...

Yes. You'll get it done. You are so productive. I think I may be lazy.
I hope your squirrels die of natural causes.

Vroomans' Quilts said...

Love where your Guatemalan fabrics are going - the homespun for the sashing works so well with this. Fun block to play with layout.

SJSM said...

Those cat snacks may not make it to the end of summer with Smitty and Sadie around. Your quilt is quickly coming together. Looking forward to how your garden grows. The jam looks like a good one. I will put it on the list of canning items this summer along with the cherry chutney. We did like that chutney and our cherries are just starting to come in. Enjoy your day!

piecefulwendy said...

Well, boy howdy, you sure whipped up that Guatemala quilt in a flash! I'm not surprised, and yes, you'll easily reach your goal. Can't wait to see it as a top. Oh my, those purple flowers are gorgeous! Those little kits are cute, but I can understand your concern. We have a few around here, and they love our bird feeder.

quiltzyx said...

The squirrel kits sure are cute, but I can understand your not wanting to be completely overrun by them.

Quiltemala is coming along quickly - what size are those blocks?

Gorgeous Rhoadies!

QuiltGranma said...

If you take the squirrels on vacation somewhere and leave them, is it into the forest far away? How do you get them to go with you?