5/6/19

Quilt Shop: Forget-Me-Knots; Bandon, Oregon

As I mentioned in my previous post, we visited a quilt shop today. Here's the history behind this visit: When we decided to go to Bandon, I got on my phone and asked my friend Siri to find quilt shops in Bandon. Siri found the one at this website: Forget-Me-Knots. And if you click on that link, you'll see the "new store hours" since March of 2019 are Thursday through Saturday from 10-5. And I thought, really? They're really only open three days per week?

So, I wrote to the shop, thinking that had to be some kind of mistake. Nope. Really. Those are the hours. And since we're here Sunday through Wednesday, I sent them a crying face icon and said I was sorry I'd miss them. And then I got a message back saying she was semi-retired, and she was in the shop some other days. So, I had in mind to drive by and see if they were open while we're here, when I got a message shortly before we left telling me she which days she'd be in the store this week. I thanked her for that info and said we'd visit today...Monday.

So here we are:


Actually, I took the picture of the storefront after I'd already been inside. Interestingly, she'd already hung up the closed sign. It was as if she were just waiting for me to show up, and then she closed the store again. There was a group in the back room sewing, and so there was something going on inside, but I don't think she was really interested in any business that day. Either way, it was very nice of her to accommodate the dates of our visit to Bandon. The building is for sale, and I have an idea this quilt shop isn't long for this world.

Walking in the front door and looking left, I saw this:


Looking right, I saw this:


She had some cute panels printed on fabric for many different topics, including this one for cats. There were some for dogs, nurses, wine, faith, hope...you name it, there was probably a panel with words of wisdom and cute little slogans on it.


There were also paper-piecing patterns for most (if not all) the lighthouses on the Oregon coast. I'll tell you, these were very tempting, but sanity prevailed when I considered the cost of purchasing all of them.


Here was a cute idea, new to me. These were little cone-shaped pieces of fabric, hemmed on the edges and sewn with one seam on the back. They were also lined with fusible web, and they served as "lamp shades" for wine glasses. Very cute.


Inside was a little electric tea light.


Fabric selection was a little sparse, and their notions, buttons, thread, etc., were on racks that were about half empty. It really appears to be a shop on the verge of closing as soon as the building is sold.

Since I've already made my Shop Hop quilt, I asked myself if I wanted to keep collecting regional prints, and the answer is yes. I think I'll probably make the quilt blocks as I go this time, making inset circles and finishing off a quilt when I've collected anywhere from 12-20 blocks. So, with that, I chose a fat quarter of this one for the lighthouse and the mariner's compass design. It reminded me of the Circles in the Sand.


From there, we headed over to the Coquille Lighthouse, mentioned in my previous post. I'd say stop into this shop if you're in Bandon, but you might want to call ahead and make sure it's still there. Either way, any day with a visit to a quilt shop is a good day.

6 comments:

Kate said...

At least you got in a fabric fix of a sort. Enjoy the rest of your stay at the beach.

Quilting Babcia said...

Very sad. Hope you have better luck if you head down to Port Orford. As I recall I liked that shop better anyway for the fabric selection.

piecefulwendy said...

It's always sad to see a quilt shop close, and this shop looked like it was nicely organized? Not to crammed and crowded? Anyway, it's too bad. Lampshades for wine glasses; clever idea. Sounds like you are enjoying your weekend!

SJSM said...

The lampshades are easy to make. I did a trial run for a party but didn’t end up going that route for table decor. I should revisit that idea.

The lighthouse blocks really are attractive! If I didn’t have so many projects in the line up that would be enticing. Not that I know how to paper piece, but that might encourage me to learn. It was nice of the owner to open for you. It is nice to be someone who can open and close as your mood strikes, too. She must have been in business a long while to have people gathering to sew who can support her in a semi retired atmosphere. She must have garnered a lot of good will.

Brown Family said...

That was a cute shop. Looking at the web site it appears they are condensing the stock to move. At least that is the way I read it!

quiltzyx said...

Nice of the owner to open the quilt shop up for you! According to their newsletter, it does look like she wants to relocate to a smaller location. I hope that's how it works out.
My friend Mary Ann made tons of those wine glass "shades" a few years back. She probably still has some in the shop. All different fabrics/themes.