5/31/19

Halfway Point

When I was an undergraduate, I took exactly one philosophy course...mainly because it fit into my schedule, and I needed an elective from a certain category. I had zero interest in philosophy. Nevertheless, I actually learned something and the class gave me some things to ponder. So as I typed the title for this post, I was reminded of Zeno's Paradox. Zeno said you can never reach the end point of anything because you can only ever get halfway from wherever you are. So, with quilting, if my quilt is halfway finished, I can only then finish half of what remains, and then half of what remains, and then half of what remains. You get the drift, right? And I think Zeno was a sadist...just sayin'. Maybe this was his way of compensating for his small...um...feet. Yeah. Feet. What did you think I was going to say?

So here's my contribution to Zeno's argument...only, I think I'm going to do it in reverse...or something. I'm actually quite confused as I'm writing this. I started here with two rows complete.


Then, I added the third row.


And then the fourth row, which means I'm halfway finished.


So, if you listen to Zeno, I can keep sewing, but I'll never really be finished because I'll just keep adding rows, but I'll never get past halfway. And this makes me wish I'd never heard of Zeno. Who's with me?

Smitty doesn't really care whether it's halfway or the whole way. If it's big enough for him, it's big enough.


But all this philosophy talk has him exhausted.


As I pondered Zeno, I decided it was a good time to make a meditative trip to the garden, where I discovered another poppy had bloomed. Yahoo!


Possibly I should have stuck with slow stitching yesterday. Block #2 for Dancing Chickens and Flying Pigs is nearly finished. I took it out of its hoop yesterday and spread it out for its wrinkly picture.


Now just the words in the upper right corner and the running stitch around the outside edge remain. I expect I'll have this finished in the next day or two.


My next slow-stitching project after this will be a new one, which makes me all excited. I'll say more about that when the time comes.

Today I'm walking with Sue and then I'm going to be spending some time in the kitchen. The guys are heading off for a road rally this weekend, and I'm making some food for them to take along. I'll be making frozen breakfast burritos, some sandwich filling they can fold into a wrap, and some lasagna. It sounds like a lot, but all three recipes are pretty quick. I'll share in tomorrow's post. With all that going on, it doesn't seem as if I'll finish the Guatemala quilt top today, but for sure I'll get it finished tomorrow. One day late isn't half bad, no matter what Zeno says.

11 comments:

Kate said...

Thank you for the philosophy lesson today. Now I'll have something to contemplate during my shower and maybe pick a fight with My Guy and the SIT (both adore philosophy). Love how the Guatemala quilt is coming along. Those colors with the grey are just stunning.

Debbie said...

Zeno was not a quilter...lol. How many UFOs would we have by his terms? OMG, you opened a can of worms now. I am going to nap with Smitty.

Sally Trude said...

Yes, obviously Zeno was referring to a quilter's stash not one particular project. Or possibly his bobbin ran out of thread.

Quilting Babcia said...

I think Zeno was half baked, at best. Your Guatemala top is looking mighty great!

Quilting gram211 said...

I love how your Guatemala quilt is looking. When you showed the first cuts and units I couldn’t “see” it. Now I can really appreciate it. Gorgeous!

crazy quilter said...

I am loving the Guatemala quilt! Zeno is a nut in my book! Lol

gpc said...

I majored in Philosophy as an undergrad. (yes, I can see you nodding and murmuring hmmmmmmm. . .) One of my favorites, and maybe helpful to you, was Epictetus, who was asked by his mother why he had not married. "Mother," he told her, "the time has not yet come." When she asked again he responded, "Alas, mother, the time has passed." All of which to say, you get to that elusive half way point and bam, sneak attack, it'd over and done with. Let that be a comfort to you. However you ponder it, that quilt is going to be one of the most beautiful you've ever made.

piecefulwendy said...

Well, whether half way or whatever, that quilt is looking wonderful. Enjoy your NBS weekend!

Shelina (formerly known as Shasta) said...

Wow that Guatemala quilt looks great with the sashing. You're making great progress on it. Great progress on the stitchery too.

quiltzyx said...

The pattern you chose for the Guatemalan fabrics is a wonderful showcase for them! Ptui on Zeno!

More pop-ups of pulchritudinous Poppies! Huzzah!!

Hope the guys had fun at the car rally - I'm sure they had scrumptious food for the day!

QuiltGranma said...

Never mind Zeno! Just keep going, I LIKE it! And Smitty and his cute tozies are sure cute!