5/5/19

A Day of Driving

We've arrived in Bandon, Oregon. We picked a restaurant for our celebratory dinner out tonight. We've had our margaritas, in honor of Cinco de Mayo, you know. Mike is taking a nap. Kitties are dealt with and content, and I finally have a minute to myself to write to y'all. Hey...how are ya'? It's my birthday, and I'm having a most excellent day. The weather is beautiful. We're RVing. What more do I need?

There were so many barns I could have photographed on the way to Bandon, but I wasn't in the mood. Sometimes I just want to watch the scenery and veg out. I did take a picture of all the blooming California poppies along the road. You're not so tough, California. We have poppies in Oregon too!


When we stopped for lunch, Mike surprised me with some little red velvet cupcakes to have with our afternoon cup of espresso.


Back on the road, we drove for about five hours today. I couldn't miss an opportunity to photograph this bridge. This is the Conde McCullough Memorial Bridge, just north of Coos Bay, Oregon. (You know we love a good bridge.)


According to Wikipedia, when it was completed in 1936 it was named the Coos Bay Bridge. In 1947 it was renamed in honor of Conde B. McCullough who died May 5, 1946, exactly 73 years ago today. This and 10 other major bridges on the Oregon Coast Highway were designed under his supervision. The Conde B. McCullough Memorial Bridge replaced ferries that had formerly crossed the bay. The bridge is outstanding for its attention to form and detail, and has been placed on the National Register of Historic Places in recognition of its design and cultural and economic importance.

So, here we go...


Up and over.


Sorry for the buggy windshield.


In about another half hour, we reached the state park that will be our home for the next three nights.


We have a nice site with a good bit of privacy. There is no neighbor to the south of us. Smitty might be able to get out for a walk here.


Backing up to yesterday, I got started on the borders for the pansy mosaic. I made these square-in-a-square blocks for the cornerstones. Only, I cut the center piece too small. So then, I made them again, only the outer corners were cut too small. So, third time's a charm, right?


Finally, I got them sewn together right, and I added them to the top and bottom borders. I figured with having the Universe set to rights temporarily, it was a good time to stop there.


And it's as if I've passed into senility virtually overnight as I turned a young and vibrant 65 years of age. As I was making dinner last night, I lost track of the no-stick spray. I found it right where I left it...in the refrigerator...right where it belongs, obviously.

So Mike surprised me with yet another camera for my birthday. I'm still working on learning to use it. It's a tiny little thing, the DxO One camera. It can be used as a stand-alone camera...


 or attached to my iPhone.


I kind of remember sending Mike a link from Massdrop, as I often do, saying "Is it anything?" He never answered, but apparently he thought it was something because he gave me one for my birthday. I'll have to get back to you about how it works and how well it works because it's something quite different from anything I've ever seen. The user's manual has been downloaded to Dropbox, and I'm reading up as I have time. I'll say more about this eventually. For now, it's still very mysterious.

As for today's adventure, we've selected a restaurant, and we're going out to dinner for my birthday. I'll say more about that tomorrow. Looks like my internet connection will allow me to post, and so I'll be posting as I have time.

28 comments:

Margaret said...

Happy Birthday! (1954 was obviously a good year - my birth year, too). Enjoy your beach trip!

QuiltShopGal said...

Happy Birthday. I am just starting to get to know the camera which I recently bought, based on all your great photos. Now you have a new camera - dang, I may need to buy another one. I hope you have a great getaway road trip.

Tilly said...

Happy Birthday Barbara, and have fun with your new camera.
Greetings Tilly

Marlene said...

Happy Birthday Barbara. Enjoy your trip and your birthday dinner. Look forward to photos from your new camera.

Kathy H said...

Happy birthday. It looks like you are off for a great adventure. Hope there are more fun surprises.

djquilting said...

Happy Birthday Barbara! Sounds like you have a good start to the next year. Enjoy your beach trip and your new camera.

Debbie said...

Happy Birthday, to a young 65 chick! Enjoy your time away:)

Julierose said...

Happy Birthday to you!! I am a May gal too...6 more days until i tilt over the mid 70's mark ;0000. Sounds like you are having a terrific birthday holiday--that is a lovely spot for your RV...
enjoy hugs, Julierose

piecefulwendy said...

What a grand way to celebrate your day - marguaritas, poppies, cupcakes, coffee/tea, and a new camera! Woohoo! Happy Birthday to you, Barbara! I hope you celebrate all week long. Looking forward to hearing more about that camera, since I haven't seen one like that.

Donna said...

Happy Birthday! Glad you had a great day! Enjoy your trip!

Connie Collins said...

Happy Birthday - mine is tomorrow and I'll raise a glass to you as well! :)

Cathy said...

Happy (belated as I write this) Birthday, Barbara! Enjoy your trip and thanks for “bringing us along”! I’m another 1954 kid, my birthday being on Pi Day. Alfie and Darla are rooting for Smitty to get out for a walk.

Beth said...

What a great way to spend your birthday! I was thinking of you yesterday as I putzed around in the yard, appreciating every blooming thing--I know the name of several of them thanks to you. (Hello, Andromeda!) Here's hoping all the surprises in the new year are good ones.

Ioleen said...

Happy Birthday 🥳. Enjoy your night out. My birthday is Wednesday.

SJSM said...

🎶 HAPPY BIRTHDAY 🎶 Medicare eligible at last. Enjoy your trip, new camera and time with hubby.

Angie in SoCal said...

Happy Birthday! That bridge is awesome! Thank you for sharing them. Yes, some days we are allowed to veg out. What nice scenery you saw while doing so.

QUILTING IS BLISSFUL, DI said...

Happy Happy birthday to you--a day late!!!
hope your dinner went well--
Today is my birthday--the 6th--
but I am 6 years older than you--
love to the fur balls too--
luv, di
I will be waiting to hear more on that camera thingy too!!

Stitches said...

Happy Birthday, Barbara!! The little camera looks very interesting and look forward to seeking what you capture with it.. have a great day!!

Sally Trude said...

Happy Birthday. I assume you count age according to the perpetual kitten kalendar.
And you aren't the only one with adventuresome travels. I drove all the way out to the
outskirts of life to a place called Hillsboro. I think it's about 100 miles off the coast of Hawaii.

ckrut said...

Happy Birthday. The cupcake looks yummy, and what a unique little camera. Can't wait to hear all about it.

Auntiepatch said...

Happy Birthday my friend! Did the kitties sing to you?

Karen =^..^=

Dorothy said...

A lovely birthday wish for you, and may the "new year" be fabulous

Janarama said...

Happy Birthday Barbara! What a cool little camera ... I didn't even know that they had cameras to attach to mobile phones. So very sweet of Mike to surprise you with a cupcake. Enjoy your trip and don't forget that you get to celebrate your birthday for the whole month.

Brown Family said...

That is a beautiful bridge! I enjoy a great bridge, too! The borders are beautiful.

Happy Birthday!

Kate said...

Happy Birthday!! Looks like your trip got off to a good start.

Carol- Beads and Birds said...

I'm catching up on reading. Happy Birthday 2 days late. My oldest grandson shares your birthday. He's 24 now. He has a 36' 5th wheel. He was staying on property in the Oregon mountains last winter and rats got into the belly of his 2019 unit. it's still in the shop waiting for repair parts to be made.

I just love the pics of going over that bridge. I love bridges too.

Sounds like you had a really good trip.
xx, Carol

QuiltGranma said...

I too am late at sending you Happy Birthday Greetings! So sorry for the delay, I got distracted when you said you had a buggy windshield... didn't realize you had horses taking you camping! How many did it take to get that big trailer there?

quiltzyx said...

Glad to see you had a good drive on your birthday. Interesting little camera. I finally got my little Coolpix & snapbridge to connect on my phone, but haven't taken any pics with it. I was going to take it with me the the guild workshop yesterday, but alas, it decided to stay home.