4/10/19

Productive Day

It's a rare day when I finish everything on my to-do list, but that was my yesterday. One of the items on the list was to get outside for our one day without rain and fill the bird feeders. While I was out, I took pictures of every blooming thing. These are the new things that have bloomed since my last update.

The flowering plums are very pretty right now. They were blooming in the valley when we got home from our trip, but they're only just now blooming at our house. It's surprising what a little change in elevation does for the timing of similar plants.


This tulip is just getting ready to open near the front door. I notice we have a few more tulips around too, but I can't see their colors yet.


This is the Andromeda. It will produce bright red leaves before it's finished.


This is one of the star magnolia blossoms. Sadly, the petals on the flowers have been bruised by the rain, and so it isn't as pretty as it might be in dryer weather. Some years it's beautiful. Some years it's just a sad little thing.


Oh wait...that's not a blooming thing...that's a cat on a mission.


Finally, the field is full of dandelions. Mike is going to have to mow for the first time soon.


Back inside, I sewed the binding on the Rainbow Jubilee quilt. I could have used any fabric for this, I suppose, but I chose the black and white stripe on the right.


There were a few other things to do in between. I did some housework, planned the meals for the next week or so, made up my shopping list, packaged some items for shipping, recycled, cleaned the dead food out of the refrigerator. After that, I got back in the sewing room and managed to finish the top for the Bunny Garden before quitting for the day. This was made entirely from scraps in my stash. Even the embroidery floss was from scraps.


Also, I sewed on the carrot button...


and the snail button.


Today I'll sandwich it with a scrap of batting. With Easter just a little ways off, this feels like an Easter piece to me. It seems a good opportunity to use this Easter fabric for the quilt back.


Yesterday morning, I stitched all the stems for the flowers on the Dancing Chickens and Flying Pigs quilt block.


Now I've moved the hoop to the left where there are more words, and I'll start there this morning as soon as this post is published.

Today is a grocery shopping day, and then I'll get back to my sewing. When I have the Bunny Garden to binding stage, I'll make some more quilt blocks.

What's going on in your sewing room today?

8 comments:

Quilting Tangent said...

It is a great feeling to get all the projects of the day done. I'm working on piecing a block, yesterday ripped it apart resewed parts and ironed seams. Today maybe look to see if it came to the right size, pin to next piece. Machine sewing, just doesn't flow. I'm trying but very slowly.

Julierose said...

Cute bunny embroidery--love the borders you made...nice that you could use up all those leftovers!
I made my 2/day string blocks and tried to decide on fabrics for the back of my Snowballs..still doesn't look right to me; so, guess i'll have to stash dive some more...
hugs, Julierose

Quilting Babcia said...

I can't imagine a better Easter quilt than your little bunny garden. Love the little buttons too!

SJSM said...

Don’t you just love a productive day? You feel las if you are conquering the world. My current project is a Swoon pattern for the Nora handbag. All the pieces are just about cut out. The next step is to fuse items together. I will then be ready for day two of a handbag workshop which is next Thursday. Whatdoyaknow, I’m actually think I will be ahead of the game instead of madly rushing at the last minute.

I might even get to housework and wrapping presents for a baby shower this Saturday! I’m happy to see you are blooming away and enjoying a bit of sunshine.

Kathy H said...

I love the bunny garden quilt. Just in time for Easter. I have been enjoying working on 2 bunny quilts for my grandkids so am very happy to see all the bunny and carrot projects around. It’s always an extra treat to have used stash to make the project.

Brown Family said...

I like the striped binding.

gpc said...

I'm with the rest of the team -- Love the bunny garden and love the striped binding. Wishing for some blooming things, but so far no dice.

quiltzyx said...

Lovely blooms at Three Cats Ranch. I have some roses blooming & my Jasmine is making a very fine & fragrant showing right now too - aaaahhhh!

Love the striped binding!