4/2/19

Nine is Fine

Yesterday was spent mostly unpacking and getting reorganized. Also, I spent a fair amount of time creating a shopping list for today's shopping excursion. What fun! (Not.) Nevertheless, I did make some time for sewing yesterday. After all, part of the reorganizing happened in the sewing room. Of course, my furry friend was there to help.


First, I took an updated picture of the first block for Dancing Chickens and Flying Pigs. The one I posted yesterday didn't have the machine top-stitching finished.


It's ready for stitching, but it will have to take it's turn in line behind the redwork piece already in progress.

Also, I needed to trim the fourth barn block to size. Here are the four blocks together. There are still eight more to go on this.


Next, I was ready to add the binding to my little embroidery sampler. I'm calling this piece "Stitched Inchies." It is a small and thin piece since I used flannel for the batting. I decided to try cutting the binding strips to 2 inches, rather than the 2-1/4 I usually use.


By then it was late in the day...too late to start anything else, and so I finished off the day hand-stitching the binding. As it turns out, the 2-inch width was just right.


Here's how it looks from the back. I had only two large triangular pieces of that floral fabric left, and so the back is sewn together with one diagonal seam. Also, I remembered to add my label. Yay, me!


Now my dollies are covered up with it. They look so cozy in their little bed.


Also, it was high time to switch out the St. Patrick's Day table runners for the Easter ones. This first one is a free pattern available in the Moda Bake Shop.


This little Easter egg runner is on our breakfast bar. This was a gift from my friend Marei. Marei is very clever about using her scraps.


In yesterday's mail, I received my latest pattern from Crabapple Hill Studios. This is her new Summer Kitchen pattern, and how could I resist?


I'm not sure when I'll get to this since I probably have more embroidery patterns to stitch than I can possibly live long enough to finish. Still, it makes me happy just having them. This one will get top priority since I already have the floss kit. Just now I went to her website so I could link to the pattern and came away with two more. I should never set foot in that store. Just sayin'.

Speaking of stitching...my morning lap cat was happy to get back to her own routine. This morning we sat and stitched the last of the Friendship's Garden blocks.


I stitched what I could before moving the hoop...


and then, there was so little left that I finished it off.


Now it's trimmed up, and that's the last of those.


Here it is with its brethren.


Okay, and so into the tops-to-be-finished pile they go. I think it might be fourth in line.

So that brings me to the end of my news, and I probably can't think of any other ways to avoid grocery shopping. Weeding awaits me as well, but it's raining today. I might be able to put that off a little longer. When I get back from shopping, I'll get busy catching up on the Tiny Tuesday blocks.

10 comments:

Quilting Tangent said...

I hate shopping, too! At least weeding, you get fresh air and see the animals up close.

Quilting Babcia said...

Well, I'd much rather stitch than (grocery) shop any day of the week! Your friendship garden blocks look so very delicate and vintage, like the dresser runners our mothers used to stitch. Looking forward to seeing how you plan to set them together.

Julierose said...

Love your Friendship Garden--very vintage looking...I have one lonely daffodil blooming right by my front door--cuddling the garage wall for warmth...
still really cold--20's last night and earlier today...hugs, julierose

Brown Family said...

Another pretty slow stitching project!

Dorothy said...

What is worse than weeding-----grocery shopping or any kind of shopping !!!!

piecefulwendy said...

Grocery shopping and weeding don't sound like any fun. All your sewing projects look like fun though! I'm enjoying seeing your progress on each one. I don't think I have any Easter quilts, which is probably okay since I've barely gotten my spring decor up. Someday I'll have to do something with bunnies though!

CA Bobbie said...

I just love your blog- of course I don't know anyone as productive as you. I also love the kitties. Thanks for all, Bobbie in Ca

Kate said...

The Friendship Garden blocks are going to make a great quilt. And I love your little sampler finish. Your dolls have some gorgeous quilts.

QuiltGranma said...

Do you know what it is called when you have a cat on your lap and you can't get up? FELINE PARALYSIS! found that on Facebook! Love it. Oh, and love the kitties, the embroideries you make, and ALL the quilts you are piling up. OH, a pair of quail just dashed across just beyond the computer screen outside my window.

quiltzyx said...

Well, I haven't heard anything about a grocery store killing spree in OR, so I guess you did OK. I must force myself to grocery shop on my way this afternoon. Ugh.
The barn blocks look terrific with their quilt blocks! Just enough color on them.
The Stitched Inchie looks perfect with your dollies.
The Friendship Garden is wonderful too!