4/12/19

Mostly Slow Stitching

Since I was waiting for a delivery that required a signature, I stayed mostly on the main level of the house yesterday, and that meant plenty of slow stitching. First, I finished off the first block for the Dancing Chickens and Flying Pigs quilt. This block is called "Flying Pigs and Other Things."


You might recall I was a little worried about stitching the outer running stitch without a hoop, but it worked out just fine. The Kona solid background fabric wants to fray a little. By keeping the edge I was stitching closest too me, I avoided dragging it around in my lap too much. When it was finished, it seemed early enough in the morning to venture downstairs to trim it up. While I was there, I traced out the last block for the Sundress quilt.


I won't get started on this one for a couple of days at least because there's already plenty of hand stitching to do finishing off bindings. With that in mind, I took the opportunity to sandwich the Bunny Garden quilt for quilting before heading upstairs again.


Once there, I went to work applying the binding clips and squaring the corners for the Rainbow Jubilee quilt.


And then, I stitched and stitched and stitched until I had turned two corners. I estimate I've only made my way around about 1/3 of the quilt, but half the corners are finished.


After that, I had some lunch, drank a cup of espresso, and waited around a bit for the delivery guy to show up. Finally around 1:00, he came and went, and I could get busy quilting the Bunny Garden.

There isn't a lot of room on this little quilt since the embroidery pretty solidly takes up the whole space. With that in mind, I quilted a few straight lines across the piece and around the edge.


Then I used one of the fancy stitches on my sewing machine to quilt some little stuff in the border. This is stitch #137 on my Bernina 750QE.


I used it to stitch in every other piece of the piano key border and then diagonally out in the corners.


With that finished, I dug around in my scrap bindings and came out with a piece long enough to finish it off. (I love it when I can use scrap bindings.)


Just now I noticed the carrot got a little cattywampus when I took it's picture. I think it just got twisted on the sewing machine a little. Then I took it upstairs to finish hand-stitching it. It seems to have grown ears in the process.


When it was finished, I laid it on the floor for its picture. Instantly, it attracted two cats. It seems to be a cat magnet.


Okay, and there it is...one finished little quilt for Easter. It ended up 13 x 14 inches.


Here's how it looks from the back.


And that was the end of my quilting day.

This morning, I'm walking with Sue. We've both been south for the winter since the last time we walked. It's been about six weeks since we've seen one another, and so I'm looking forward to getting back to our Friday morning walks. Hopefully, the rain will hold off until we're finished, but no promises.

16 comments:

Cheryl's Teapots2Quilting said...

What a cute finish. Happy Easter!

Julierose said...

Really lovely finish on your Bunny Garden--love that backing fabric...
hugs, Julierose

Shelina (formerly known as Shasta) said...

That is a beautiful finish! The stitchery is fabulous and the embroidery stitch in the borders sets it off so nicely.

Janarama said...

The bunny quilt is too cute! Love the pic with Sadie's ears sticking out.

Carol- Beads and Birds said...

I like the idea of using decorative stitches on your machine for the quilt. I'm going to give that a try. I usually sandwich with flannel because I don't want too heavy of a quilt. I'm just wondering if you have to make any adjustments to your machine to go through batting when using the machine stitches.

Great Quilt.
xx, Carol

Mary said...

The Bunny quilt is adorable! Isn't feline assistance just great?

Quilter Kathy said...

What a wonderful easter project! Really lovely... that dotty aqua binding is perfect!
Enjoy your slow stitching today!

Deb A said...

How fun and kitty approved!

MissPat said...

I love the bunny garden quilt. when I saw the first picture, I thought it was much bigger than it really is. That's a lot stitching in a small space. I need to start doing some stitchery. I tried doing EPP for take along handwork, but my fingers cramp up too much.
Pat

QuiltGranma said...

What a cute finish, and love the option of using decorative stitches to quilt with. Love your lap warmer as well!

Sarah said...

Your bunny quilt is very cute and a great finish just in time for Easter!

gpc said...

Adorable. No surprise that the kitties like it; Cats do like bunnies, after all. I envy you your walk . . . it is snowing here.

gpc said...

Oh! And I love your idea for the corners, I have never thought of doing that and it is perfect (or would have been perfect for the last one I bound like that!)

quiltzyx said...

Nice finish for the bunny garden - and kitty approved in quick time too!

And you've got the LAST of the sun dresses traced - seems like just a few days ago you started them!!

Deanna W said...

Love the Easter fabric and all those ears....especially the brown furry ones!!haha

Brown Family said...

I like how you used the fancy stitches on the border!