3/27/19

Another One Bites the Dust

With the help of both my stitching cats, the 4th of the barns for the Appalachian Memories quilt was finished this morning. Smitty was doing double duty pining away next to their treat bowls. He was helping me stitch while simultaneously begging for treats. Who says cats can't multi-task?


With that finished, I set up my little travel iron and pressed it flat. The iron doesn't get very hot, and so it's a less-than-satisfactory pressing job. Nevertheless, I think the piece looks good enough for your viewing pleasure.


This block is called "Ohio Star." I like that barn quilt block. The barn reminds me of the ones we saw in Ohio with the stonework around the bottom. Here are a few pictures I took on our trip to the Great Lakes Region. They aren't great pictures because they were taken as we sped by on the highway, but I think you'll get the idea.




So with that one finished, I was really glad I took the time to trace out one more. It's imperative that I not run out of hand stitching on the road. One never wants to have to pay a visit to slow-stitching urgent care while traveling. And that brings me to the 9th of nine blocks for the Friendship's Garden quilt. This one is called "Bouquets of Kindness." I'll probably get started on that sometime this afternoon. For now, it's hooped up and ready to go.


We're just hanging out here in Pahrump for the next few days. It's a small town, and not much to do. The first week of our trip was spent doing a lot of driving and sight-seeing, and so it's been nice to take it very slow this second week before we head for home again.

Just outside our window is a flowering plum tree all in bloom. It's attracting the Painted Lady butterflies. I tried to get another picture of one, but was unsuccessful. They are hard to catch, but I'll keep trying.


Here's a close-up of the flowers.


Mike and I were out just a little while ago to pick up some RV chemicals for our tanks and a few other things. Aside from that, we're just taking it slow. We'll have dinner at the restaurant tonight, and then see what tomorrow brings.

6 comments:

Quilting Babcia said...

I love everyone of your barn quilt embroideries. I think it is already my favorite quilt of yours even before seeing the setting and quilting. Those flowering plum blossoms are wonderful to see, still waiting for the first crocus blossoms here.

piecefulwendy said...

That barn stitchery is really nice. I think of you now, whenever I see a barn and that makes me smile. Glad you have some quiet down time to just "be". Enjoy!

Unknown said...

Hello
I am living in Switzerland and I cannot really english. But I am following your Blog since it has started. And today I try to write a comment, because
I have seen this just now on Youtube:
Jordan Fabrics "This Quilt has Barns"

And immediatelly you are in my mind.
In my country barns do not look like this.

I love your blog, the stiching, quilting, baking, cooking and the travel reports.

Best wishes Ursula

Beth said...

So glad you're back in the land of connectivity. I missed each and every one of you! Here in Clatskanie our plum trees are blossoming also, but not as vividly; mine are a more pale, modest pink but still a sweet reminder that spring is on its way. (For those of us who sometimes lose track.)

Quilting Tangent said...

Your cat loves his hammock.

quiltzyx said...

Hot iron or not, the barn is wonderful! Looking forward to seeing the pretty flowers on the Friendship's Garden block.

I passed a bunch of Crape Myrtles flowering on my way to work today - so lovely!

POOOOOOR Smitty - empty treat tins indeed!