2/14/19

Quilting the Wrong Holiday

It isn't lost on me that I'm working on my scary Halloween quilting for Valentine's Day. It's poor planning on my part. But, hey, take a look at this range of pink thread that came in yesterday's mail, and see if that makes you feel any better.


Or how about these pink and red variegated threads?


Or this green...like the green leaves on the two dozen roses you'll get from your sweety. (Yeah, right.)


Actually, I only wanted this one color of thread, which I'm calling Smitty gray. But when I went to the Connecting Threads website, they offered me these cute little embroidery scissors for FREE, FREE, FREE if I would only spend $30 on their site.


They're cute, huh? Let's just ignore that I would have spent less if I'd just paid for the scissors without buying all that thread. As it is, I have the thread AND the scissors, and who among us can pass up a freebie? Am I right about that? Show of hands, please.

Smitty and I quilted the day away. What would I do without his helpful suggestions? Also, he helps me to slow down as I'm stitching.


Except for the setting triangles, the center panel is finished now.


Here's a closer view of it.


The fabric on the back is busy enough that you can't see much there. That's just fine with me.


For today's effort, I have some ideas about the setting triangles if I can pull it off. I'll tell you about that in my next post. It'll be easier to show than it is to explain.

On the slow-stitching front, I stitched the newest inchy...with ears.


And I filled the hoop on Friendship's Garden. This is the most densely stitched part of the block.


Now I've moved my hoop to the right, and I'll start there tomorrow. The rest should stitch up pretty fast.


In addition to quilting, I'm doing some cooking today. Mike and I had a fancy dinner out just about 10 days ago, and we're going to another fancy dinner weekend after next. With that in mind, we're staying in this Valentine's Day, and I'm making us a fancy dinner at home. It's something I've made before...a Sea Scallop Risotto. The scallops are seared and served over some risotto with a Newburg sauce and some steamed vegetables. Also, I'm trying a new recipe for dessert, Warm Carrot Cakes with Cream Cheese Sauce for Two. Hopefully, it will all turn out. Of course, I will report back tomorrow.

So I hope you have a happy day, however you plan to spend it. Happy Valentine's Day, everybody.


12 comments:

Linda M @ Pieceful Kingdom said...

We call today Valloween, so it's totally appropriate to work on Halloween quilts! I'm still working up my courage to start quilting my HocusPocusVille. I have the thread and ideas...I just need to clear away my block sewing so I can have room to quilt. Love the thread! And have a Happy Valloween!

Quilting Tangent said...

Looks like you will be ready for Spring and Halloween. Pretty projects.

QUILTING IS BLISSFUL, DI said...

I did the same thing today--
wanted to order a certain pair of shorts for the summer--
in the same fabric as a pair of Capri's I got in a month ago-
and a really pretty top with humming birds on it--
and then this message pops up that for just $7.59 more I would get a percentage off--so back to shopping I went--found a really pretty flowered table cloth for $7.95--!!!!!!!
They do get 'us' don't they???
(it will only actually cost me a little over $8 when all is said and done--
as I am returning 2 items that just didn't fit right and they come to $40-!)
Well--I need to go do yesterdays and todays square--I did go looking for the right needle to make the bullion stitch yesterday at walmart--but they had no straw needles--so will see what else I can do????
Have fun with the dinner tonight-
luv, di

Quilting Babcia said...

Our Valentine dinner will be salmon with dijon-dill sauce, and some other yet-to-be-determined stuff. Nothing fancy here, hope to get some quilting done too. Your spiderwebs are looking good! It's a wonder Smitty still has a tail!

Julierose said...

I made thom's favorite shepherd's Pie (or in our french Canadian family known as "Porter Chinois") for dinner. then I took a 2 hour nap--still not back to feeling normal--this bug is holding on forever!! I love your HocusPocus piece--your embroideries are really lovely hugs, Julierose

Christine M said...

I love how you have quilted spider webs, Barb. Your stitcheries are coming along nicely. I've downloaded the stitch-a-long pattern but haven't started mine yet. Yours is looking lovely.

SJSM said...

You motor along on your stitcheries and quilting. I am always amazed at all you get done.
Hubby loved the camera bag. He was surprised and touched. We celebrated V-Day n the evening by going to the gym and taking a yoga class together. There was champagne, cookies and chocolate dipped strawberries afterwards. From there we we went to the cafe and had one of their "fit" dinners. The day was spent gathering tax materials. I have many more days of that ahead. I hoe to be done with all by March 18. It is a long slog that includes cleaning out last year’s files and setting up 2019. It’s one of my least favorite things.

Carol- Beads and Birds said...

Lovely embroidery and quilting. Another blog friend recommended Connecting Threads thread. You must like it too. I'm waiting for a sale to give it a try.
xx, Carol

piecefulwendy said...

For some reason, your post wasn't in my inbox this morning, so I had to come looking for it. Maybe it will right itself and I'll start getting the posts on the day they are written instead of one day late. Who knows? Anyway, that little scissors is so cute, and I would've done the same thing. You are cruising along with Hocus Pocus, so I'm curious what you have cookin for those setting squares. Looking forward to the post on the meal; the dessert sounds yummy!

Kate said...

Love those thread colors. Now you are stocked up and will have what you need when you need it right? (Well, I always like to think that's the case, but there must be some type of law that says you won't have the one color you need no matter what you've ordered!)

gpc said...

I love variegated thread, and I happen to know exactly the green array of which you speak. :)

quiltzyx said...

oooooh! Pretty threads!!! And new little scissors -you are so lucky! :)

Another lovely block of the Friendship's Garden zooming along too. Fun that the bee is as big or bigger than the flowers!!

Happy Belated Valentine's Day!