2/16/19

Fried on Friday

Lately, Friday has been my day to be a lazy slug. It was wet and cold for my walk with Sue yesterday, and on those days, I get chilled to the bone. When I get home, I first have to ice my knee, and that only serves to make me colder than ever. And so I get my heating pad (which I think of as my portable electric blanket), and snuggle up under the quilts, never to be heard from again for at least a couple of hours. And then, I'm so warm and toasty that I've turned into a big puddle of nothing. And that means nothing gets done.

But you can bet I didn't waste a minute switching out the Valentine's Day table toppers for the St. Patrick's Day decor.


I'm feeling pretty smug since neither of these existed before last month.


That one makes a nice place for the tulips to land.


So, I did a little slow stitching. First, I wanted to catch up on Friday's inchy.


This next one is this morning's inchy. The pistil stitches are a little challenging. I'm having trouble holding the "neck" thread taut as I pull those French knots closed.


And that completes another row. These are so much fun. I have an idea what I'm going to do with this when I'm finished, but I want to see what Meg Hawkey has in mind first.


Also yesterday, I decided to make some blocks in lieu of quilting on Hocuspocusville. This first one is this week's Tiny Tuesday block. We had a couple of choices, but the Friendship Star is one of my favorites, and so I did that.


This week's block is straight-set.


This morning, I'll be linking up my Tiny Tuesday block to:


Also, I worked on the next block for the Countdown to Christmas blocks. These were originally published all in red and white on the Moda Bakeshop website. I'm trying to prevent my greens and blues from world domination, and so my blocks are all going to be from those bins. They can be made either 6-inch or 12-inch, and mine are going to be of the 12-inch variety. The one I worked on yesterday is called Regent Street Star. So far, I have only the portion required for the 6-inch block.


The pieces are cut to finish it up, and I'll work on that today.


These blocks are for a sew-along going on in Blogland, but the hostess hasn't mentioned it at all this month. It makes me wonder if she decided not to continue after January. Either way, I'm committed to working on it until the bitter end. I'll try to get 2-3 blocks finished in February, and then link-up if the sew-along continues.

This morning, we had a brief moment of sunshine. When I looked out, I noticed the raindrops glistening on the dwarf maple tree outside our window. This tree was replaced last spring after a falling tree branch smashed its predecessor.


Now the tree is gone, and so this one should have a less-fearful life in the same spot. The tree is umbrella shaped when it has all its leaves, and the kitties like to use it for a fort.

Today's plan is to finish up the Countdown to Christmas block(s), and then get back to quilting Hocuspocusville. We're expecting rain for most of the day, but Sunday and Monday should be an improvement.

8 comments:

Julierose said...

Your lovely tulips are perfect on that topper!
I really like your friendship star...very pretty...and your inchies are coming along so well...hugs, Julierose

Bonnie said...

Kudos for you getting your Valentine Days decor put away and your St Paddy's Day stuff out. Um, I'm still finishing the Valentine's day table runner I made last year. It's quilted now and honest, today I'll bind it. Really, I will! Of course, there is no St Paddy day stuff to put out. Oh well. I really like your Regent Street Star block -- just like it is now and when it will be enlarged as shown at Moda Bake shop. Hope you get it done soon.

Cathy Smith said...

I hear you about getting cold soaked! My solution is a heated throw (think small electric blanket). I toss it over my sewing chair and sit on it. Nothing better than a toasty rear end! Great on the lower back, too :-)

LIttle Penguin Quilts said...

I love the variety of projects you show in your posts! I especially like that Regent Street Star, and you've made me want to sew with some green!

piecefulwendy said...

I don't like getting chilled to the bone either, so I'd do the same as you. I've managed to get out a bit now that our weather has settled some. My sewing mojo is pretty blah though. I like your little embroidery piece, and I'm curious how it will finish. I'm still finishing a couple of little Valentine's minis, hoping to put them up for the rest of the month, and you have St. Patty's decor out already! I need to get in gear!

Linda said...

I wondered how your embroidery project would look when you colored your fabric (with pencils as I recall). I've never seen a technique like that, but yours is so attractive with the embroidery stitches over the soft colors! I clicked on Meg Hawkey's website, and that was a mistake. Ugh, now I want to start that project too.
I've finished my February Countdown to Christmas blocks also, and I think that link-up will probably be toward the end of February. I'm basing that on her link-up for January, which was on the 25th.

quiltzyx said...

You did a great job on all your blocks, stitched & embroidered. I'm sure you saw that I actually SEWED a whole block this week! Now to sew a bunch more....

Brown Family said...

It is always good to have a bay set aside for slug day!