1/5/19

Friday Morning Walk

Sue and I fully expected to walk in the rain yesterday...there was a 50% chance, after all. I was wearing my rain gear, just in case. We were lucky, however, and the rain never came. To my knowledge, it was dry all day. Here are some things we saw along the way.

The first picture I took was at the far end of our walk, just before turning around. It was our friendly red-winged blackbird. I think he must call this area home because he was perched in the same tree from when I photographed him last time. Or maybe he's just a camera hog, and he knew we were coming.


Just around the bend from where he was perched is our turn-around place. The trail is flooded here, and it only gets worse walking on. We could walk out into the grass to get around this area, but beyond, the trail passes under the road via a tunnel where the flooding is about ankle deep. This flooding is the work of beavers.


It was amusing to see some Canada geese here. Show me a body of water of any size, and I'll show you some Canada geese.


Our walk yesterday took us on a circuitous path, even though we've walked this trail hundreds of times. We've been starting at the opposite end because of the flooding, and we've found that various governmental bodies, both city and state and local parks and rec organizations, have been making a lot of improvements to the trail. It's been closed in places while work progresses.

Yesterday, we encountered a detour sign that took us to a dead end and then refused to point the way to continue. We walked back the way we came and found a route back to the trail. After we turned around and went back toward our starting point, we walked the old familiar way. Who knows why we were detoured because nothing seemed amiss. In any case, we discovered this new playground constructed from fallen trees and stumps.


The leafless trees are revealing lots of birds' nests. Here's just one we passed by.


Also...this cat.


And this bicycle shaped bike rack. I was thinking it might be possible to free motion quilt this shape on the right quilt. Connect the shapes with a little loop-de-loop (technical quilting term), and you've got yourself a bike-themed design.


As we neared the starting point, we spotted the fattest squirrel I've ever seen.


Hey! Who're you calling fat?!?


Below him, Mr. and Mrs. Duck out for a morning swim.


When I got home, I iced my knees. Miracle of miracles...it was a two-cats-in-the-lap day.


It's been a busy week, and I was tired when I got home. I didn't do any more on my current quilt, but I did get a start on the Let's RV Cross-stitch. This is what I did before I quit.


I'm realizing there's as much back stitch in this piece as there is cross stitch, and so it's a lot like regular embroidery. But here's something interesting. The red floss is from an old skein that was gifted to me last year. How long has it been since floss was 5 cents per skein? And you can see from the band on the right that is is a 6-strand skein. Aren't they all?


But check this out...


How many strands do you count? I can only think it's a manufacturing defect. I've never seen that before. It makes me wonder if I'll encounter some spot as I work through the skein where one strand ran out as this was being wound. Maybe I'll find it to be six strands as I work my way along.

So I'll get back to my sewing today. It's going to be a badly-needed quiet day at home. I've done no housework all week, and I've assigned myself a couple of tasks. Aside from that, it'll be NBS.

12 comments:

Kate said...

You do so well with the walking each weekend. I should take a page from your notebook there. Have a great weekend. Hopefully you can fit in some more stitching before it's finished.

Vroomans' Quilts said...

I've been trying to get out and walk around when the weather is 'friendly'. A 5-cent skein, probably quality control wasn't a thing at that time. I haven't touched my cross-stitch in almost a year. Really should pull out something small.

Julierose said...

Good for you getting another walk in...we are hoping to talk our Boardwalk walk tomorrow when the sun actually is supposed to make an appearance. My hubby had his leg surgery yesterday and is allowed a short walk Sunday...
there are plenty of benches along the way, so I can go farther if I want to
while he rests.... Neat pix you snapped...Hope to get some tomorrow...hugs, Julierose

Lyndsey said...

I'm trying to walk 5 miles a day. It's been easy this week because I've been on holiday. I'm not sure how it will go next week. Lucy, Katy and I have just got back from swimming which we want to include in our exercise plan once a week. This getting fit will either be extremely good for me or will finish me off. On a calmer more relaxed note I've actually done some stitching on my millennium sampler

Val's Quilting Studio said...

Thanks for sharing pictures from your walk. I especially loved the bird nests.

Sally Trude said...

If you want to see a much fatter squirrel, go look up the NY eggroll squirrel. And it looks as if your family also has the "one cat on a lap" rule, but each one thinks the other is in violation.

piecefulwendy said...

That bicycle might also be a fun quilt prop for photos, just sayin' That is a fat squirrel; we have a few of those around here. I usually have a regular squirrel party out my window while I'm sewing. Not much sewing here yet -- but I made a cat toy, so that counts, right?! Hope you enjoyed your NBS day!

Connie Collins said...

I love your walking stories - I have started walking more often now that I'm retired. Every other day for a longer walk and at least 2 KM in between. It's nice that the kitties help with the knee icing too!

Have a great NBS day!

Connie

Shelina (formerly known as Shasta) said...

Thanks for letting me take a walk with you. The bird photo is fabulous. I don't think I've seen a red wing around here or the ducks. But we do get the geese, even places where there aren't obvious places of water. I am just happy to see the cardinals and blue jays in our neighborhood.

Quilter Kathy said...

I have never seen a 5 strand floss before... that's unique!
Enjoy your hand stitching!

CathieJ said...

I have several floss skeins that I inherited with quite a small price. I wonder where that sixth strand disappeared to. I really enjoyed looking at the pictures from your walk.

Brown Family said...

I always wondered why Star stated that it was six strand! Like you, I thought all embroidery thread was six strand!