12/21/18

Write-Fast Friday

It's a walking day today, thus the title to "write fast." I think the Universe might have blessed us with a dry morning for our walk. We've decided to try walking from the other end of the Fanno Creek Trail today to see if we can avoid some of the flooding that will undoubtedly have occurred after the week's heavy rains. The temperatures were warm...what we call a Pineapple Express in these parts...but a lot of the wet stuff fell as well. We're expecting more. For today, at least, the forecast is for only a 10% chance of rain.

The alley cats are coming along. Yesterday I first fused down the stars and hearts. I'm afraid my fabrics are a little too busy for them to stand out very well, but I still like the fabrics I chose.


Experimenting with just one cat, I decided to top-stitch it using all black thread. There are three different stitches in this top-stitching. Around the edges of the appliques, I used a buttonhole stitch (or blanket stitch, if you like that better). Then I used a combination of regular straight stitch and triple stitch for the details. It made for a lengthy process of changing stitches and changing directions to stitch up this first guy.


While I was doing that, I got kind of curious about how the hearts and stars were going to look, and so I experimented with a double blanket stitch there and I used gold thread. I think that will help show them off a little better.


And then I switched back to the black thread and started stitching all around on the cats. Here's how the first corner looks.


After taking that picture, I decided to lay out the buttons to see how the whole thing will look.


One of you asked if Sadie would be miffed because I didn't include any cats with black noses. What do you think?


By day's end, I had all but one cat stitched.


Each cat took much longer than expected. I don't know about you, but I can't seem to keep from hunching my shoulders up when I'm doing something like this. By the end of the day, my shoulders and neck were screaming in agony. I feel fine today, but geez. I kept telling myself to bring in my elbows and relax my shoulders, but I could only seem to do that for about 30 seconds before I was all hunched up again. I have a Posture Pleaser by Bodyrite apparatus (for lack of a better word) Leah Day was touting a while back that's supposed to act as a reminder to keep one's shoulders down. It wasn't that helpful when I tried it before, but maybe I'll give it another try today.

But first...walking. Fingers crossed the forecast is correct and we don't get rained on.

11 comments:

QuiltE said...

Oh! this is so cute. Busy cat-quilters they are?! Love the detail of their "dresses". I like the subtle contrasts of the stars/hearts. The gold double blanket stitch is a perfect choice. As for the hunchy-back-tight-mess, been there, done that! That usually means for me that I need more space between the tabletop and my shoulders, either from me scrunching down too much to see what I am doing. Or that my chair height needs to be raised. Good Luck at figuring it all out ... it's not fun when quilting hurts us!! :)

Julierose said...

I love how your "Prim" cats are emerging--I think the black blanket stitching on the kitties is really good; and that double gold does make the stars and hearts come out...
Now, I like the scrappiness in the fabrics you chose a lot..but then, as you know, I am, after all, Mrs. Scrappy for sure..hugs and enjoy your walk--it is raining "Cats and Dogs" here lol Hugs, Julierose

Shepherdess55 said...

"One of you asked if Sadie would be miffed because I didn't include any cats with black noses. What do you think?"

I don't think she's pleased about it.

Quilting Babcia said...

I love your fabric selections for this little quilt! The gold thread is perfect for stitching down those appliques. We're in a warm spell today, with lots of rain so the creek's arising fast. Flood warnings for tonight through tomorrow evening, though it's supposed to get colder and switch over to snow sometime tonight.

Sally Trude said...

I love how the buttons give the cats a natural psychotic look.

piecefulwendy said...

It's maybe good that you can't read Sadie's thoughts? Her face sort of says it all. I think your cats are very cute; the quilting sure adds detail and makes them fun. Between reading and writing on my laptop (on my lap, of course) and quilting, I have messed up my left shoulder and some days it is fairly painful. I get just a bit ticked off about that. I mean, really? Does everything I like have to make me hurt? Ah, the joys of an older body. Hope your walk was delightful and dry!

Kate said...

Hope you had a very nice walk. The Alley Cats are looking good. Using the gold thread was an inspired choice, it does make the hearts and stars pop.

mangozz said...

I absolutely love those tuxedo cats, especially with the black blanket stitch. Sadie doesn't look too happy. Any reason why you didn't choose to do it by hand? I would think it would have been easier going around the corners.

Lyndsey said...

What a really cute little quilt. The cats are such fun and the stitching looks great.

QuiltGranma said...

As usual, you are doing a beautiful job. Love it!

Suze said...

First, the quilt is adorable and the top stitching sure changes the look immensely. Second, I would say that Sadie is one miffed pussy. Thanks for sharing a very adorable, whimsical quilt. Makes me what to make something like it or at least very, very similar.
Susan