11/11/18

Yes, I Can

When I started cooking cranberries yesterday, I had three recipes on my mind. I wondered if I could get them all done in one day. I'm happy to report: Yes, I can. First, I tried this Cranberry Pepper Jam. I'm going to give you the link to the recipe, but I must first warn you that the yield is seriously underestimated. The recipe promised me 3 half-pint jars. Since I was thinking of giving it as little gifts this holiday season, I decided to use 6 quarter-pint jars instead. They'll fit in a pocket, and so I can just take them with me easily and hand them out like candy. And look how pretty this is:


And if you're saying to yourself, "Hey, that looks like a half-pint jar! WTF?" Or maybe you aren't as potty-mouthed as I am and so you left off the "F" part of that. Well...here's what happened. 

I made the recipe exactly as written, and I had eight (not six) quarter-pint jars ready to go thinking that even if there was extra, I should have plenty of jars. Well, I filled those jars, and still had lots of jam in the pot. And I hate that because I didn't have any more clean jars or clean lids prepared. So I quickly washed some more half-pint jars and some more lids and finished off with three more half-pint jars. All-in-all, I ended up with 8 quarter-pints and 3 half pints. If I'd done it in half-pint jars from the get-go, I'd have had 7 half-pint jars...not the 3 suggested in the recipe. So, I ask again, WTF?

So anyway...I can highly recommend it because it's very tasty. Someone always asks me what one does with pepper jams, and here's what I tell them: It's wonderful spread on crackers with a little cream cheese. It's also wonderful served with meat...just like ketchup or steak sauce. And it's good on sandwiches, especially roast beef. And if you're just in a mood, it's great spooned straight from the jar directly into your open mouth. That's often how I'm eating it. So, anyway...it's easy, and it's pretty. You can find the recipe right here. I should note that I removed the seeds and ribs from both serrano peppers and one of the jalapenos. It has plenty of kick.

So there was that.

A day or so earlier, I'd boiled and skinned some CSA beets for pickling. I used my old standby recipe for Easy Spiced Pickled Beets. They're a family favorite. I ended up with three pints from two pounds of beets. The recipe I use is from Small Batch Preserving. Here's the recipe for those:

Easy Spiced Pickled Beets
Yield: About 3 pint jars

2 Pounds Fresh Beets
2 Cups Granulated Sugar
2 Cups White Vinegar
1/3 Cup Water
16 Whole Cloves
8 Whole Allspice Berries
2 Cinnamon Sticks (about 4 Inches Long)
2 Teaspoons Pickling Salt

Trim beets, leaving 1 inch of stem and tap root attached. Place beets in a large saucepan and cover with water. Bring to a boil over high heat, reduce heat, cover and simmer for 25-45 minutes or until tender. Drain and rinse under cold water. Remove skins and cut beets into large pieces

Combine sugar, vinegar, and water in a large saucepan. Bring to a boil over high heat, stirring occasionally.

Remove hot jars from canner and place 4 whole cloves, 2 allspice berries, 1/2 cinnamon stick and 1/2 teaspoon salt in each jar. Pack beets into jars.

Pour hot liquid over beets to within 1/2 inch of rim. Process 30 minutes for pints and 35 minutes for quart jars.

Note: For an interesting variation, add 1/4 teaspoon hot pepper flakes to each jar.

While those were processing, I got to work on the Brussels sprouts. And here again, the author of the recipe seriously underestimated how many jars I would need. Fortunately, I had plenty of jars and lids ready, but it still annoys me when I end up with more veggies than I have prepared jars. So anyway...the Brussels sprouts have to sit for a week or more before they're ready...which is pure torture for this Brussels-sprouts-loving-person. Nevertheless, I opened one of the jars and tried one. I'm happy to say that after waiting just a few hours, this just might be a winner. I'll tell you more about it when I've given it a week to pickle and a true taste test.

So I ended up with a lot of jars and a lot of yummy stuff by day's end.


There was time to sew, but after all that, I sat on my behind for the rest of the day.

Ever feel like you're being watched?


So today I'm putting a recipe for Old-Fashioned Chicken and Dumplings in the crockpot. My housework is done. My canning is done. I'm going to spend the day quilting Wind in the Whiskers.

8 comments:

Sally Trude said...

Interesting. My WTF moment was opening my bleary eyes to see you have already posted for the day.

Julierose said...

Man oh man--you did a great job with your canning! Everything looks so yummy. I miss my Aunt's and cousins all getting together to can on a saturday in the late summer or early Autumn...man that kitchen hummed--I was the tomato peeler..
that cranberry jam stuff looks mahvelous!! ;))) as for eating right out of the jar--
uh huh with you there...;0000
hugs Julierose

Barbara said...

I bet the cranberry pepper jam would be great on a turkey sandwich.

Linda said...

Pepper jam is one of my favorite things of all time, and I love anything cranberry. Thank you for the recipe link and for the pickled beets recipe. Did you use the "calcium water" in the jam recipe?

I laughed out loud reading about your WTF moments. :D

quiltzyx said...

The Cranberry Pepper Jam does look beautiful. As the "other" Barbara said above, I bet it would be delish on a turkey sammie!

Oooh, Chicken & Dumplings in the crockpot - that sounds great! Now my mouth is watering...

Quilting Babcia said...

Your cranberry pepper jelly looks wonderful. I'm wondering if you used the Pomona pectin for yours, and if so did you reduce the amount of sugar at all?

piecefulwendy said...

If I lived closer, I'd come and raid your pantry for some of that jam. Not to worry, I'd bring a bottle of wine in exchange. Haha! Smitty looks like he is giving you the stink eye. Have you been ignoring him? Hahaha.

Kate said...

You were very productive. Hope you got in a full day of stitching today.