11/25/18

Sock Monkey See, Sock Monkey Do

With a lot of help from my feline friend Sadie, the Going Bananas quilt was sewn into a flimsy yesterday.


Surprisingly, the blocks hadn't moved much from when I laid them out the day before.

I've never tasted sock monkey, but I imagine it's delicious.


She was less help later on, but she loves the sock monkeys. She's a cat after my own heart.


When the blocks were all sewn together it looked like this.


Then I added the stars and moon border. The sock monkeys in space will appreciate that.


And then I used the red sock monkey fabric for the outer border, and the quilt top was finished.


As it turns out, only the remainder of the banana fabric on white was large enough for the quilt back, and so I'll use that. Quilts for Kids requests machine "self-binding" on these quilts since they will spend a lot of time in the washing machine. The banana fabric will be a nice contrast turned toward the front for a binding.

This won't get finished before January, I don't think. Wind in the Whiskers is currently occupying Eliza's table, and I'm trying not to move it around too much. I'm planning to finish the quilting on that very soon, and that will clear the way for the sock monkeys. I'll do a straight-line diagonal grid on them, so it'll be pretty quick to a finish once I start on the quilting.

We're above the clouds today here at the Three Cats Ranch.


There's Mt. Adams newly revealed since we took out the big tree. Our neighbor came by last week and picked up all the wood. Except for the stump, the tree is a thing of the past.


This morning, I momentarily took leave of my senses when I considered going grocery shopping. I need a vegetable for dinner tonight, and it seemed like a good idea to do the whole thing in one fell swoop. Then I remembered that my favorite grocery store is one of those mega mart type stores that sells literally everything, including the kitchen sink. And since this is Black Friday weekend, I grew a little queasy at the thought. So, never mind...I'll just go to a smaller store for the vegetable and let the crazy people have the mega mart to themselves and their crazy kind today.

Instead of grocery shopping, I expect I'll finish off the last of the names for the next row of Shop Hop, and then I can get a start making those blocks. It'll be a peaceful day at home, except for the cats. They disturb the peace without thinking twice about it.

5 comments:

quiltzyx said...

Nice finish on Going Bananas!

On Friday I didn't even get dressed until around 3pm. And then it was only because I decided to treat myself to dinner from Applebee's. Ordered "curb side to go", then drove down & picked it up. Yummy & easy.

Lovely photos of Mt. Adams.

Vroomans' Quilts said...

That quilt went together so fast! I need to use that pattern to use up all my kitty print scraps. I have been stuck to home with a car that needs repair, snow and ice, and extreme cold. It was a good time to get a lot of quilting done.

piecefulwendy said...

When I was a kid, my grandmother made sock monkeys for each of her grandchildren. We think this age of "upcycling" is a new thing, but back then that was just a thing you did. She used old nylon stockings to stuff my monkey. When my kids were young, my aunt made each of them a sock monkey. So, obviously, I love your sock monkey quilt! Tell Sadie she looks lovely draped over those monkeys. Good choice on the grocery shopping. We went grocery shopping yesterday. It went well until a glass jar of salad dressing broke while we were putting it into my sewn grocery bag (it's washable). It was definitely time to go home after that.

beaquilter said...

Really cute and simple quilt!

Kate said...

Some little one is going to be dragging that quilt around all over the place. Very fun and cute. I'm glad you decided not to brave the big grocery store last week, why risk it. The store I visited last Friday was a quilt shop, and it was almost empty. My kind of shopping!