11/21/18

All Heart

Yesterday's errands took longer than expected. I was on the hunt for wild rice and a few other things I couldn't get at my regular grocery store. I had to go to three different stores to find wild rice, but I was successful in my quest. It was around 1:30 before I was able to make it into the sewing room yesterday afternoon.

First, I sewed all nine blocks for Heart & Home together.


Next, I needed a red stop border. Who hates sewing borders as much as I do? So much pinning...such long seams! Frankly, I'm surprised I lived to tell about it.


If it weren't for my little cat, I'm sure that border alone would have killed me.


But I'm not finished with borders. Oh no. The final border for this quilt had to be constructed from the remaining nine-patches. Now I have them laid out with the quilt ready to be sewn on today.


Here's how they'll look without a cat.


So that's all I need to do today in the sewing room. I've been sewing for many days, and I think I'll take a break after that.

There's one small housekeeping chore to do today, but then I'm doing some cooking. We're having our Thanksgiving feast at Erik and Mae's house this year, and I'm pretty happy about that. It's the most stress-free Thanksgiving in years here at the Three Cats Ranch. My contribution will be the sweet potatoes. Our family favorite is Sweet Potato Crunch. It's a Cooking Light recipe, and so it's relatively low in calories and fat.

I can't make this without thinking of my dear departed brother. He was one of those folks who hated all vegetables, no matter the kind or color. My parents made a deal with him when he was younger (and before I was born). He could choose two vegetables he never had to eat, but he promised to eat all the rest without a fight. He chose corn and sweet potatoes. (What?) Yeah, don't ask me...I wasn't there. So fast forward to his only visit to our home in Oregon, and I made the Sweet Potato Crunch with his permission since I was sure he would like it. He did! My sister-in-law was thrilled to find a sweet potato recipe he would eat, and so when I say it's a family favorite...I mean even the sweet potato haters in the family liked it.

My other contribution is Cranberry Cherry Marmalade. This is another one I've been making for a long time. It appeared in our local paper many years ago. I love the addition of dried cherries. They give a nice texture and flavor. And I love that both of these recipes can be prepared ahead. It makes cooking on the day of the feast easier, but it also makes for easy take-along dishes.

Also, I'm baking two loaves of bread today...just to spoil my kiddos...and there's enough starter for a loaf for us.

So that's it. I'll blog tomorrow...just a short post because I'll have to show off my finish, right? But if you're not reading tomorrow, then Happy Thanksgiving, everybody! There is much to be thankful for here at the Three Cats Ranch. I hope your year has been a good one too.

18 comments:

Kate said...

My Guy has the cheese bread started for tomorrow. The Scientist in Training is responsible for the ham and I'm going to help her make a chocolate pie (her absolute favorite). We are hosting the family Thanksgiving pot luck this year, so by family rules we don't have to do the turkey, younger SIL drew that straw. Happy stitching today and have a very happy Thanksgiving with your family.

Tilly said...

What a nice quilt,love your black and white fabric.It gives a warm winter feeling.
Happy thanksgiving!

Carol Evans said...

Your quilt is beautiful with and without Smitty. My precious Luke passed away last week, He was a wonderful (and helpful) companion for the last 12 years, I will miss him.

Sarah said...

Wait?! He didn't like sweet potatoes? Such a tragedy. I can see not liking beets or canned green beans but sweet 'taters is just wrong. Your quilt looks great (with or without a cat!) and I'm sure you'll have that border done in no time. Enjoy stressless dinner tomorrow! I'm bringing the horse divers for our family dinner...LOL.

Julierose said...

What a gorgeous QIP--I love the first pictures--
and then ...........you added that last border--just beautiful ;)))
I hope your thanksgiving is a wonderful one..
Hugs, Julierose

Quilting Tangent said...

The quilt looks wonderful, great choice of fabrics.

Janarama said...

I am also someone who doesn't like sweet potatoes. Never made them, but have always tried them when someone else made them. No matter what recipe was used, the outcome was the same for me.

Enjoy your day with your family. Happy Thanksgiving Barbara and family.

Cathy said...

I love your quilt! The borders are perfect. I'm cooking today, too. Pumpkin Pie, Chocolate Pudding Pie and the stuffing, all with the help of my granddaughter. Tomorrow, I'll cook the turkey at my daughter's home -- she refuses to touch the raw bird. No sweet potatoes for our Thanksgiving--I'm the only one who will eat them!

crazy quilter said...

Happy Thanksgiving to you and your family as well. Drive safe

Vroomans' Quilts said...

Right there with you on borders - the quilt looks great . Have a lovely TGD with family.

Bev said...

Happy Thanksgiving to you and you family today. Love your Hearts and Home finish. Looks great.

Vicki in MN said...

Your quilt is gorgeous! So much love went into making it with all that stitchin':) Happy Turkey day.

SJSM said...

You have such an eye for color and pattern when choosing your fabrics. The quilt looks great.

I’m getting off easy this year. The dinner is at our home with 19 attending. After my back started going out in the last few days, others have taken over my duties. I had the "make ahead mashed potatoes" already made. The only other contribution I now have is baking the ham and a turkey breast and preparing for the guests. The big turkey is being cooked by someone else and all the side dishes and desserts were taken over by others I have the whipped cream, ice cream, beverages on my list. Not too bad this year. Oh, and I’m another sweet potato hater. In a coming year I will try the one you recommend. Generally I make just about everything on Thanksgiving so that recipe will have its day. It’s good to take a year off from the duties.

Good for Erik and Mae for taking over Thanksgiving this year. Enjoy your holiday with your family!

piecefulwendy said...

Since I don't read your post until the day after, I'm going to assume you had a wonderful day full of good food, wonderful family, and all good things. Those two recipes sound delicious. Have you ever tried black rice (japonica)? It's a favorite here. Sorry you had to go to three shops to find the wild rice. We can get that pretty abundantly here, no surprise!

Brown Family said...

That is a very cute quilt! We had Thanksgiving at my daughters, five houses down the alley from us. I made a fruit salad that every one loves. I think they would have sent me home if I had not shown up with it!

quiltzyx said...

Pinning borders? What's that? LOL I rarely pin, but I would probably pin the 9-patch intersections at the corners. My pins last a verrrry long time!

I LOVE sweet potatoes! And it's gotten to the point where I prefer them without added sugar or marshmallows. Just bake 'em, butter, salt & pepper & sometimes I grate some cheese over the top to melt. I had T'giving with friends this year & we had a true FEAST! Terri always brines the turkey & it is unfailingly moist & yummy. She made sweet potatoes with a graham cracker topping that was delicious. There were 11 of us for dinner and 3 of the pies weren't even cut!!
(lots of other yumminess too, of course)

QuiltGranma said...

Beautiful Quilt! Love it!

Cheryl's Teapots2Quilting said...

The quilt top is looking great. (yes, I'm way behind in reading blogs, since I was gone for 2 weeks).