10/24/18

Rip Van Winkle

Most of the past 24 hours was spent sleeping. It would have been more fun if I'd been recovering from some kind of bender, but no. Nothing more fun than another vaccine. I worried I wouldn't sleep last night, but I did. My snuggle cat Smitty was my bed cat pretty much all night. As the nights get cooler, he snuggles up closer.

Fortunately, I'm feeling much better this morning. Having done practically nothing yesterday, I don't have a lot to tell you, but that's never stopped me before. This was my view for most of the day.


I spent a little bit of time working on Appalachian Dreams, but even that proved too taxing, and so I went back to sleep.


When I woke up, not much had changed.


In yesterday's mail, I received a pack of needles I'd ordered. My friend Wendy told me about the virtues of Size 24 embroidery needles. That would be the one on the far right in the image below. It has a large elongated eye, while maintaining the slender needle I prefer. To its left is the needle I've been working with. It has a larger eye than the one I usually use (on the far left), but I'm still having problems with shredding of the floss. Using the larger eye and Thread Heaven has helped some, but not as much as I'd like.


As for the other two needles, I use the second from left when I'm working with three strands of floss. The one in the middle is the one I use when I'm working with metallic floss. I realize they don't look a lot different in this picture. It's hard to take a picture of needles that makes any sense. I haven't had a chance to try the new needles yet, but I'll start with those this morning. Hopefully, that will be the needle to solve the shredding problem I've had with the Valdani floss. Of course, I'll report back on my findings.

The only other thing I did yesterday was to fill out my ballot. It's a worthwhile endeavor, and now it's done. When I go to the grocery store tomorrow I'll drop it in the ballot box, and have my political say.


As for today, I'm picking up our CSA share a day late. Otherwise, I'll spend most of the day sewing. I doubt I'll get the borders on the cardinal today, but I'm hoping to get a good start.

10 comments:

WoolenSails said...

Hope you are feeling better today. I do love the 24's, I use them for embroidery and quilting. I am doing one with a pearl cotton so the larger eye makes it easier to thread and still slide smoothly as I quilt.

Debbie

Sandra W said...

I use a chenille needle for my valdani 8. I think it is a 14.

Tilly said...

Wish you well, and love your cardinal, good job.

SJSM said...

I’m glad to hear your healing cat is available. He must have been a very content cat for doing a great job. Interesting to hear your needle information. I have a selection of needles I no longer know what they are but chose from them for any embroidery work. I should pay more attention so I would know what I need if I need replacements. I think when I first started I bought various ones to see what worked best. I put them in round tube needle keepers or they are corralled on felt strips. For me, needles last a long time. The thinner sewing needles do get worn and tossed but not as frequently as I originally thought. As a result I have more needles than I possibly will use in a lifetime. Especially since I’ve started buying much higher quality needles in the last few years. Hmmm, I should give my original needles to some new sewing person. My 7 year old niece might be the perfect candidate as she started sewing this year. Thanks for the mental spark to thin my needle collection.

piecefulwendy said...

Hope you're feeling much better today, Barbara, but those naps with kitties are the best. I also hope you have some luck with the #24s. Will be waiting to hear what you think.

Sarah said...

Is your ballot considered an absentee ballot? Or it's just another way to vote in Oregon? We don't get to vote at the grocery store here in NY...

QuiltGranma said...

I LOVE not having to GO to the polls here in Oregon, just fill in the ballot at home and mail it off or drop off at the various sites for that! So much more convenient! So sorry, Barbara, that shots make you sick. Have you consulted your Dr. about that? Likely the preservative in the shot is something you are allergic to, and they MAY have another choice you could take?

Kate said...

Glad you are feeling much better. Looks like you didn't have to suffer alone as the kitties kept you company.

quiltzyx said...

Good to see that Smitty & Sadie were right on the job to help you feel better. Extra pets & treats I say!

I need to fill in my ballot too. Perhaps when I get home from work today.

That #24 embroidery needle does have a nice large eye! Hope it does the trick.

Brown Family said...

Kitty nurses are the best!