10/7/18

Rainy Day Sewing

With the weather changing to the wet season, it's giving me a lot more time inside for sewing. Things are moving right along in the sewing room, and my mouth is watering at the possibility of starting a new project that has been sitting on the shelf for a while. I'll say more about that at some point in the future. For now, I'll tell you about yesterday's activity.

Of course, the day always starts with a little embroidery. I filled the hoop I was working on...


and then moved the hoop to encompass as much of the remainder as I could. You can see there's just a little bit remaining to the left side of the hoop.


And this being Sunday, I'll be linking up to:


After that I moved into the sewing room. When I stopped sewing on Friday, I was working on the dark green blocks for the Rainbow Jubilee quilt. It was time to start cutting and sewing strips together for the green part of the four blocks I was making. Smitty kept me company.


He was an excellent assistant, holding the rule in place so I could cut my strips.


It's tempting, isn't it? I could give him a tail like Sadie's.

Eventually, I had the strips cut and sewn together.

From there, I needed to trim them into squares.


Then I laid them out with their black and white corners...


And then I sewed everything together.


They'll be joining the rest of the blocks I've made for this quilt so far.


It was a little worrisome whether the dark greens would give enough contrast with the bright greens I've made already. I think they'll be fine.

While I was sewing, Mike was out working in the trailer. The "laundry room" is in this cabinet to the right of the closet.


He was busy installing a new Splendide washer/dryer combination in the cabinet. It looks good!


This is a newer version of the washer/dryer combo we had in the old RV. We'd hoped to get a stackable set. If we'd done that, we would have had to give up the rod and shelf above the washer. Space is at a premium here, and so we went with the combo instead. The one in the old RV worked great, and this new one has a slightly larger load capacity, which can only be a good thing.

But here's the best part. You can see in the image below, there's a good amount of space behind the unit. A sewing machine will easily fit in here, and possibly, my travel ironing board will fit as well. Cool.


As long as I was out taking pictures, I took a picture of the little wall-hanging now on the wall in the living room.


There was just one more thing I wanted to accomplish before the end of the day. There was baking to do in the form of these Gingerbread Biscotti. We both love biscotti, and this is my favorite recipe. I've linked to the recipe and made some other comments right here, if you're interested in trying this yourself.


Once they were cooled, I drizzled them with melted white chocolate. Mmmmmmmmm.


We're only keeping a few of these and then sending the rest home with Erik and Mae. Erik's birthday is Tuesday, and they're coming for a birthday brunch of Eggs Benedict this morning. The biscotti is just a bonus for the two of them.

With that in mind, there's much to do this morning. I'm on my way to the kitchen now.

13 comments:

Connie said...

You're a busy girl today . . . maybe I should say everyday, LOL. You're already up preparing for a birthday bunch and I'm just out of bed, turned the coffee pot on and plugged in my hot curlers. Your embroidery is delightful and the quilt . . . well my favorite quilts are those made of small cuts of many fabrics and colors. It's going to be wonderful and so cheerful, too.
Have a sweet Sunday
Connie :)

MissPat said...

I love your string quilt. I'm guessing you just sew strips together, not onto paper? This will make a striking quilt.
What do you use to mark your embroidery blocks? It looks like regular pencil. I tried using pencil but pressed too lightly and I can't see all my lines.
Pat

Carole @ From My Carolina Home said...

Great projects!!

Kate said...

You are going to have a very colorful RSC finish. Looks like you are almost all set for another voyage in the RV.

Sally Trude said...

Dear Smitty,

The eyeliner around your entire eye was laid on a bit too thick this morning--very goth, but not close enough to Halloween to be fashionable.

Respectfully,

Molly

quiltzyx said...

Smitty, I don't care WHAT Molly says, I think the eyeliner is just purrrfect! Such a handsome feller you are.
It's fun to look at the different fabrics in the string blocks - peas & cactus!
That is a cute laundry system. Does it pull out easily so you can put things behind it?
The biscotti make my mouth water! And Happy Birthday to Erik!!

Little Penpen said...

Your embroidery is beautiful. I like the string blocks too. Beautiful cat! I love the eyeliner comments from friends.

CathieJ said...

My you've been busy. I love the embroidery and the quilt is very pretty. Hmmm, I may have to try that gingerbread biscotti.

piecefulwendy said...

Reading your blog wouldn't be complete without reading the comments. I love them! Good thing I wasn't drinking coffee when I read Molly's comment - haha! You're lookin' good, Smitty - rock on! Those green blocks together made a pretty little mini quilt, and I was surprised how they took on a different green look when put with the rest of the blocks. It's really looking good! Biscotti and Eggs Benedict (my favorite) sounds like a wonderful birthday treat! Happy Birthday to Erik!

Quilter Kathy said...

I love the creative comments on your blog LOL!
Enjoy your embroidery... making great progress!
Thanks for linking up to Slow Sunday Stitching!

Angie in SoCal said...

What an interesting and fact filled post. A friend has one of those washer/dryer combos in her house and loves it. Says it's just right for two.

Brown Family said...

Kirby likes to help like that. I have to tell him that the blade is coming and he will move his tail till it is passed. Silly cat!

That is a neat washer/dryer, a good use of the space.

This morning, Wednesday, it is 58 here! We are so enjoying it but it will not last!

Frédérique - Quilting Patchwork Appliqué said...

Beautiful string quilt, I love your setting! Black and white blocks are stunning with colored blocks!