10/26/18

Circles and Squares

As you might guess from my grocery shopping enthusiasm of yesterday, I stayed home and spent the day sewing yesterday. Big surprise, right? Which, of course, means I'll have to go today. I could put it off another day, but that would mean going on the weekend, and the thought of it fills me with dread. So anyway...I'll take a video as I move through the store today because I know you're fascinated with my grocery shopping expeditions, and you won't want to miss a single second! Or maybe not.

So here's the thing. I went into the sewing room intent on finishing up the next three colors worth of square-in-a-square pieces when a no-time-like-the-present flash came to me and I decided instead to try my hand at making the applique pieces. As I mentioned in an earlier post, I'm going to do hand applique on this quilt for no other reason that it seemed like a good idea at the time. I took a hand applique class when I was attending guild a while back. It was taught by Connie Sue Haidle, who does beautiful hand applique. You can read my post about it right here. Her method is really better suited to Baltimore Album style quilts. It won't really work for the cardinal because of the many seams of the mosaic. (You'll have to read my earlier post to understand why.) So the method I used yesterday involved a technique described in this book,


using this product.


The product isn't exactly the one described in the book. The book method used a product called "Rinse Away," which I wasn't able to find. It's an embroidery stabilizer that washes away with water once the embroidery is finished. And frankly, the product I used looks identical to Sulky's Sticky Fabri-Solvy. I'm hoping you can see its nubby texture in the image below.


I looked for my package of Sticky Fabri-Solvy to compare the two, but couldn't find it anywhere. Frankly, I'm not sure I have any right at the moment, and I was a little too frightened of Fibber McGee's closet to venture too deeply inside. Anyway...the method in the book says to put two sheets of stabilizer together by activating its rinse-away qualities. This is done by spritzing it lightly with water and then waiting for it to dry before proceeding. The product I use was even better in that way because it had a peel away sticky backing. I just peeled off the backing and carefully stuck two sheets together...no water or spritzing required.


From there, I traced the applique templates onto the Wash-Away sheet and then cut them out. Here, I must caution anyone foolish enough to try this using the instructions I'm about to give you, to-wit: Be sure to cut away all the markings as you cut out the shape. I had to remake a couple of mine because the markings transferred to the fabric. So, continuing on...I had something that looked like this.


Then I traced the shapes onto fabric giving them a quarter-inch allowance for folding under.


Then I used a bit of glue stick to stick the Wash-Away to the fabric and then clipped all around in preparation for folding. (It occurs to me as I'm writing this, that I could have stuck one sheet to the front of another, preserving the sticky backing of the second sheet to stick onto the fabric.)


Here's where the carnage problems began, and I abandoned all efforts at taking pictures. Nevertheless, I remembered to pick up the camera again when I had three of them made. I put a little glue around the outside edges of the stabilizer and then folded the edges of the fabric over and stuck them down. They aren't as round as I'd like, but they aren't bad. I was thinking I could probably round those little pointy spots better when I sew them down, and I'm still optimistic about this.


When all was said and done, I'd made six holly berries, and two pieces for the eye of the bird. I used spray starch to give them some heft, and then pressed them flat. The book specifically states that this method works best with circles that are dime-sized or larger. The holly berries are about half-dollar sized, but the yellow piece was more dime-sized, which means the black one is a little too small. I had the hardest time with those two.


And just for grins, I put the black one on top of the yellow one so you could see how the eye will look.


I considered sewing all of these to the bird, but I was so traumatized by that time that I was afraid I'd give myself PTSD (Post Traumatic Sewing Disorder) if I continued. Instead, I went back to my original intention of sewing together the square-in-a-square blocks. Phew! That was a close call. By lunch time, I had all the medium red ones sewn together. There are 16 of those.


It was time for lunch by then, but I wasn't finished with the day's self-flagellation, and so I took the two eye pieces and the tiny little sewing needles that Connie Sue Haidle likes with me. Connie Sue likes to sew her hand applique with kimono silk thread, but I had some 100 weight Invisafil in the right colors, and so I used that.


So intent was I on self-abuse that I sewed the eye pieces on even before eating lunch. Self-abuse is most effective when done on an empty stomach. When I was finished...ta-da! Not too shabby.


It's probably the worst hand applique ever, but since it's the first time I've done this, I can proudly say it's the best I've ever done. I'm certain you'll agree. You do agree, don't you? Be careful what you say right now.

Then, I laid out the bird, and also laid out the holly berries. Those haven't been sewn on yet, but here's how it will look.


And I just happened to hit the right day of the month for


So, I'll be linking up there today.

After lunch, I finished up 16 more of the light red square-in-a-square blocks.


And now, I have almost all of them finished.


Today, if I survive my trip to the grocery store without getting arrested for murdering someone, I'll make the lightest red. There are 12 of these.


And then there are the four corner blocks made from the darkest and lightest reds.


When those are finished, I'll be ready to sew them into borders and add them to the quilt.

Yesterday's activities were all performed under Smitty's disapproving gaze.


The only other fiasco yesterday was my runaway starter. When I came upstairs from the sewing room, I caught it just as it was beginning to run over the top. I stirred it down several times yesterday afternoon, but when I left it unattended for a few hours after dinner, it had its way and overflowed its jar, making a big mess. Fortunately, it's sitting on a plate. I might be crazy, but I'm not stupid.


It hasn't been fed yet this morning. I might wait until I get home from the grocery store because I fear it will misbehave while I'm gone. I'd hate to come home and find the entire house encased in sourdough starter. I'm not ready to bake bread with this until Sunday. However, yet another person has told me how much they like sourdough pancakes, and so I'll use a little bit of it on Saturday to make a "sponge" for sourdough pancakes on Sunday. That oughta get a rise out of it. (Ha! Get it?)

Okay...so if it isn't already obvious, the day was stressful yesterday what with unruly sourdough starter and bird's eyes...not to mention cat's eyes. Hopefully, today will go a little better. Although with grocery shopping in the mix, it's hard to imagine how that's going to happen. Wish me luck.

16 comments:

Lynette said...

oh, no! I hate it when something is super fidgety, and then it doesn't come out just as I want it to. Circles gave me fits for the longest time. Have you tried those Karen Kay Buckley Perfect Circles templates? Someone told me about them, and they get used a lot now. Another big jump forward for easier time with circles came when one of the elders in our guild cued me in about making a smaller seam allowance for the small circles - right down to only 1/8 inch. It seemed so tiny to me, asking for fraying to happen, but it really helped make the smooth little curves that I was trying to get. The bigger allowance just isn't capable of giving tight curves without points, particularly in batiks and other tightly-woven fabrics. Your cardinal looks so good with his eye now!!

Lyndsey said...

Oh I feel your pain of those circles. I agree with Lynette that you need to reduce the seam allowance. I also do a running stitching around the seam allowance so I can gently gather it up and make a smooth circle. It doesn't always work especially on teeny tiny pieces but when it works it gives a good result. Your cardinal looks fabulous (especially his eye). I hope the grocery shopping isn't too horrendous. Good luck!

SJSM said...

Perhaps this is not the technique to use but I will throw it out there anyway. What about sewing the stabilizer to the fashion side of the fabric then cut a slit in the stabilizer and pull it inside out? You can flatten then stitch to your mosaic. It’s not needle turn appliqué but I would think it would be a nice finish. You could also get rid of the excess stabilizer and press (without steam) and treat it as a fabric without the stabilizer. Use an appliqué pressing sheet to press flat. I am curious to know what the issues are if this isn’t a viable way to get the look you want.

Regardless, I bow to your wiser words regarding getting the appliqué on the mosaic.

Cathy Smith said...

I see absolutely NOTHING wrong with either birdie's eyes or the holly berries! In fact, if I had enthusiastically purchased that pattern I would have opened it, read the instructions, said "No way in Hell!" and tossed it into the pattern bin. You're a better woman than I, Gunga Din!

djquilting said...

I do it similarly to SJSM. I draw the circle on the fabric and sew it to a used dryer sheet and then cut around it and cut a slit in the middle of the dryer sheet and turn it and then press down. Perfect circles nearly every time. LOL. I think it was an Eleanor Burns method. I think your circles look good but am more concerned about the runaway starter. Enjoy reading your blog.

Julierose said...

I'll just bet that Smitty was secretly pleased (as only a cat can be) to see the bird's eye...(the better to see you with my dear lol) I hear your angst with any kind of circular applique...really tough...I use cardboard pre-cut centers and spray starch -- let them dry and then pop em out..not perfect by any means, but do-able for me...Anyhow, I HAVE to go to the grocery tomorrow, too--Saturday woes for sure...we are having Sunday dinner company....
hugs, Julierose

Debbie said...

You stuck to your guns and got it done....proud of you! As for me, I cave in everytime and refuse to do fuzzy stuff....I just fuse it on. The bird project is great!
I do avoid the grocery store at all costs on the weekend here.....all the crazies shop then. I hate being run down, or driven over by them.

Beverly said...

I had a really good laugh about your applique experience. I have been there - not with birds' eyes but some other round things. I did keep at it and now feel that I am pretty good at it. If I had lived close to you, I would have shared some of my disasters! I do like using the stick back stuff you used and have had a hard time finding it lately. I mark my pieces on the paper side and cut them out, stick the sticky side one layer only) to the back side of the fabric and cut out 1/8 away and applique down. The larger your seam allowance on applique, especially circles, the harder it is to get a good circle. The sticky stuff washes away and you never know it was there. Hand applique is addictive as is English Paper Piecing. I also used the stick stuff when I do EPP. I love reading your blog and finding out about your travels, cats, and quilting of course. Keep up the good work.

Becky said...

Karen Kay Buckley's technique! I, too, shied away from needleturn and applique in general until I took her classes. You can even machine sew them down with invisible thread and they look hand done. Good for you for perservering. I still avoid the dreaded A, but I can now do it if I have to.

Kate said...

The eye looks great and the berries should go on smoothly. Hope you survived the grocery store and were able to relax with a bit more hand stitching.

crazy quilter said...

Your first try at hand applique was quite good. I have done a lot of hand applique and have a suggestion for you and circles if you wish too ever continue on this journey. Karen Kay Buckley makes circles called perfect circles. They come in two sizes , I own both since there are times I really need large circles. All you do is mark the circle on the wrong side of the fabric cut the circle out with seam allowance, put a running stitch in the seam allowance, don't cut the thread , place the circle in the middle and pull the thread tight around the circle . Spray with a dab of starch and Iron . This will keep its shape while you loosen the thread and remove the circle. Perfect circles every time. The small sizes come out just as great as the larger ones. I just love these since as you experienced small circles can be challenging. I think she has a website where she may also share the technique for you to see .
Hope your trip to the grocery was uneventful I dislike shopping as well so I feel your pain. The cardinal is looking quite dapper!

Vroomans' Quilts said...

You've gotten a lot of advice from a lot of folks. I use the Karen Buckley circles as well - someone gifted them to me (before I just used cardboard). I am headed to the grocery store Saturday to take my Mom.

Vivian said...

Congratulations on your beautiful cardinal! I love his eye! And only mother nature makes perfect anything, and even she is known to make some quirky examples of botany every once in a while. I only make circles with a Sizzix machine. I couldn't cut out a circle by hand. At least it starts straight. I don't do hand sewing anymore, I have tried a couple of times, but the examples look very poor, so I sew everything by machine. Your work looks great, and your embroidery work is lovely! The cardinal when finished will be a stunner!! I hope that you keep it and hang it on your wall. No grocery shopping today, in Ottawa, Canada we are bracing for our first snowstorm of the season today. Staying home!!

piecefulwendy said...

If I can find it, I'll send you the nifty little trick I learned for circle appliques that I used a few years ago. Made them nice, round and smooth. You did have a stressful day; hope you and Smitty are still on talking terms. Haha.

quiltzyx said...

I have some of those Karen Buckley perfect circles templates. They look like plastic washers. I think I saw a video (probably from The Quilt Show.com) on how they work & somehow had a few extra $$, so I ordered them. I may even use them one day! LOL I think the bird's eye & the holly berries look just dandy.

Brown Family said...

I do something almost kike that for applique circles. I do not clip my edges. The method I use uses wash away and glue stick but I do not clip the edge. Then I use a pencil eraser and push the edges in. look at a YouTUBE site for applique circles by Pearl P Pereira. She uses an iron to press her edged in.