10/15/18

Bird Breast

Sadie was excited when I told her we were going to make the bird's breast yesterday.

White meat is my favorite!


Molly said the cardinals are spicy, but Sadie is pretty sure they'll taste like cinnamon Red Hots.

Three sections were finished yesterday. The first was strictly background. The second had the beginnings of a second holly leaf.


The third had the bird's breast.


With more colors and color combinations to the half square triangles, this is beginning to feel like the New York Times Crossword Puzzle. It requires more concentration, which means I'm hunched over my work surface in a way that makes my neck and shoulders stiff. I had to call it quits when I had three sections done. Here's how it's looking.


Before quitting for the day, I laid out the pieces for the fourth section of the third row.


For insurance, I left it covered with a ruler.


So that's where I'll pick it up today. By day's end, I hope to have the third row complete, and that will mean the largest part of the bird is finished.

I have a couple of small housekeeping chores to do. They should take less than half an hour. I've been promising for at least three years to sort through and get rid of some of the crap that has accumulated after living in our home for 16 years. Good grief. It's downright oppressive. My strategy was to schedule some "purging" sessions for every two weeks, which I've managed to ignore every time with just a few exceptions. Clearly, my strategy has been completely ineffective. Now I'm resorting to doing it in ridiculously small pieces...for now, one drawer at a time. Or one shelf at a time. I think I can manage that. So...one drawer today. It should get finished before I'm dead, I think. In any case, it will happen faster than my previous strategy; i.e., not at all.

But first, some slow stitching. I do have my priorities.

13 comments:

Cathy Smith said...

I feel your "purge" pain! When I moved from my home of 19 years into a townhouse with half the square footage I was accustomed to a massive purge was needed. I did it just like you! Rather than allow myself to be overwhelmed by the sheer scale of it, I tackled it one drawer, one closet, one cupboard at a time. Took me six months of sporadic efforts. You KNOW you had too much crap when the fellow at the Goodwill trailer knows you by name! Hahaha!!!

Sarah said...

I'm with you on the purging - there are so (sew!) many other things to be doing but I know that after just 10 years in my house there are lots of things that can go. I've even resorted to playing games to get it done: I've assigned a number to each room and roll the dice to pick a room, then work 15 minutes or so. Any progress is better than no progress...

Lady Jane said...

I need to purge a thing or two.... These little pieces looks like a lot of work but the end result will be beautiful. Hugs, lj

AnnieO said...

Cardinal is looking good!
Have you heard of the KonMari method of purging —it’s by category not room and the criteria is keeping only what you love.

Quilting Babcia said...

This quilt is like a thousand piece jigsaw puzzle except all the pieces are the same shape! As for purging, something I've wanted to do for a long time, though living with as packrat kinda defeats me ... Did get a couple kitchen cabinets cleaned out though, so a start. Then there are the things that just follow us home, a hand quilting frame ...

Nancy said...

Purging is tough. I kept saying I was going to do it for years and would never get started. When we finally moved I got rid of a lot of stuff but still not enough. I am still having to get rid of stuff. I am attempting to be better at doing it. I could not unpack all the boxes because I did not have enough room to put everything away. I am now going thru and purging again. I have been told it takes 3 times. I need to be better about getting rid of items when I bring home something new.

Vroomans' Quilts said...

I'm not a 'keeper', but some how things do accum that aren't really needed. Moe says all birdies are the other white meat.

SJSM said...

Your cardinal looks great! Funny how some posts elicite a lot of feedback. Purging is something we all seam to need. I have several bags of purged items that need to be loaded up to go. The bags have been sitting there for a couple of months. Perhaps you will inspire me to finally get them to their destination. As far as accumulating goes, our ASG guild are the recipients of old sewing rooms. Currently I am helping to sort a room of a high quality fabric hoarder. Needless to say many items have followed me home. On the upside I cleared out almost as much stuff that is no longer loved to put back into the fabric sort. The fabric give away is Thursday and there are more than 75 bags and boxes of items. An industrial sewing educator has added to the fabric as she has retired. We have somewhere around 20-30 end bolts of high quality designer fabric and home dec. Wanna come and get some new treasures?

piecefulwendy said...

I feel your purge pain too. I have tackled a few drawers. I figure if I do one thing, even if it's small, it's something. But first, coffee. And quilting. And even cleaning. Then maybe purging. Haha!

Carol- Beads and Birds said...

Purge made me smile. I have purged. Then sometime later I looked all over for an item. Did I ACTUALLY purge that? Or did I simply put it in a different place than it has been for the past 10 years. SMH
xx, Carol

crazy quilter said...

Purging is not for the weak! It takes lots of time and though. I had not done it for years before I moved in April of this year but I was forced to by buying a smaller home. I still have way too much Christmas stuff so some it will have to go soon. I did donate a ton of things when I moved, so that made it a bit easier to part with some things. I wish you luck ! The Cardinal is looking so good!

kc said...

LOL,my purge IS COMPLETE! And I don't envy you a bit! But, geesh, it feels good, yes? We are now down to what's in the camper and a 10 x 20 climate controlled storage unit. And most of that is taken up with sewing notions, thread, cabinetry, machines, more fabric than any one person needs and a handful of tools and yard equipment. And more fabric! I do believe if it weren't for that expensive sewing machine and cabinetry, we would not be renting that storage unit! Ah, the price we pay for fun.

Birdie is looking most awesome! I do really like how he's coming to life!

Brown Family said...

Purging is a tedious job. But it always feels so good to complete it!