9/23/18

The Usual

We're back to passing for normal around here. We briefly considered trying to fit in one more camping trip before the rain moves in for good, but then decided against it. I guess we're at home for the duration. The trailer is unpacked, and so I'm back to my usual day-to-day stuff. 

Our Sun Gold cherry tomato has been unbelievably prolific this year. First thing yesterday morning, I went out and harvested the most ripe tomatoes. I'll tell you what I did with these babies in just a minute. Aren't they pretty?


You might recall that some critter ate the poor plant down to a bloody stump shortly after I planted it last spring.


It's grown to immense proportions and is busily making tomatoes as if it didn't even notice what happened to it earlier in the year. Kinda makes you wonder, doesn't it? What if I planted them every spring and then immediately cut off everything it worked so hard to attain. Would it produce mountains of cherry tomatoes again?

After that, I was fresh out of slow stitching, and so I traced out the 8th of 12 of the Sundress blocks.


Now it's hooped up and waiting for me downstairs. You gotta love a design that fits in a single hoop. These stitch up pretty quick, except for those damnable tiny chain stitches. I usually work just one length of floss on those and then move on to something less tedious.


It awaits me downstairs, and so I'll work on that next.

When I had my housekeeping and gardening chores done, I went to work on September's Tuxedo's Tales block. It was fused, but I needed to add the top-stitching and embellishing. Now it's finished.


Here are the nine blocks I've finished so far.


As for those cherry tomatoes, I had plans for them. We're always looking for ways to use CSA veggies, and this recipe from Smitten Kitchen for Burst Tomato Galette with Corn and Zucchini was a great choice. Tomatoes, corn, and zucchini are always served up in abundance with our CSA shares this time of year. However, the veggies for this galette were mostly from our own plants. You saw the cherry tomatoes, and we have lots of zucchini. The corn from the CSA share never lasts more than a day or two, and so I used frozen. If memory serves, the scallions were from CSA.


It was a bit of a production to make, but not overly difficult. I first made the crust, which had to chill in the fridge for an hour. While that was chilling, I made the filling, (chilling and filling...pure poetry) and that needed some time to cool. And so with some planning, it turned into a nice dinner without a lot of fuss. The crust was a dream to work with. It was very flavorful, especially with those Sun Gold cherry tomatoes. I'd definitely do this again.

We have a small dinner get-together planned for this evening. Our neighbor is coming by and Matthew will be joining us. I made the stuffed pasta shells main course before we left on our camping trip, so I just need to make a salad and serve it all up with some crusty bread. We're also going to have some of those little plum shortcakes I made while we were camping.


Easy peasy. Plus...if we never had people over, when would the house get cleaned? It's a win-win, if you know what I mean.

So with that update, I'll get to work. It's a pretty day here. How's this new fall weather treating you?

9 comments:

Linda said...

Sun Gold are my favorite cherry tomatoes - the flavor is magnificent to me. Even the leaves have a fragrance to them that is different than any other tomato. The ones I've grown have always been very prolific. For some reason I forget how prolific they are and plant 3 or 4 when I should just plant one. The galette looks amazing.

I love every single Tuxedo Tales block.

I don't comment very often, but I read your posts with a glass of wine while I relax, kind of like reading a chapter or two of a good book. It is something I look forward to!

Connie said...

Oh my word . . . your quilt blocks, your meal and your desert. All that I can say is, "Wish I was there". I could learn from your quilt blocks and not only would I enjoy warming my feet my the fire, but your meal looks amazing:)
A perfect day!
Here's to another one tomorrow.
Connie :)

Angie in SoCal said...

The weather is slowly treating us to glimpses of Fall. That dish looks so good! I will have to try it. Blessings,

piecefulwendy said...

That photo of your sun gold tomatoes is right up there with the other tomato/plum photo. I just want to sit and look at it for a bit, it's so beautiful. I'm sure the food was tasty, at least it looks like it! Those little dresses are so cute; it's fun to see each one. Love the tuxedo cats, of course! We are having lovely fall weather here, so I'm going to sneak in a walk today, I hope. I'm ignoring the horrendous weeds in our flower gardens. I'd rather quilt.

Denise :) said...

Interesting about the tomato plant. I read a story once about a farmer kicking a newly planted tree every day. That the tree's roots grew stronger and deeper to compensate for the detriment. Sort of a similar situation. It's probably just an old wive's tale, but still, your plant bears out the theory! Survival, will to produce and procreate, etc. Love your pretty dress! All your Tuxedo's Tales blocks are fun. I do think the squirrel is just darling. The cat's face is just perfect! Your Galette looks scrumptious!!!! :)

mangozz said...

😻😻😻 Love all of the Tuxedo Tales! You used some beautiful colors. I have a tuxedo cat and am considering that pattern myself. Or was it in a book? It looks like a Bonnie Sullivan design. Your vegetables always look wonderful too. I am loving the cooler weather in Massachusetts.

Brown Family said...

I have never tried Sun Gold tomatoes. They are beautiful. The Tuxedo kitties are so cute!

Kate said...

Your applique Kitties are looking good. Just three left, those will go fast.

quiltzyx said...

The galette does look delicious! Even WITH tomatoes in it... The plum shortcake looks even BETTER!!!