9/2/18

Terrific Tomatoes

It's the day I've been waiting for since we used our last jar of salsa. It's the first day of tomato canning. In previous years, I've ordered 40 lbs. of Romas from our farmers. This year, I'm going for broke with 60 lbs. We picked them up yesterday. Just look at these beauties.


They stretch on for miles!


So, I'd already told myself I wouldn't start on them until today. We had to get some things from the grocery store, and I still had carrots I wanted to finish up before starting on the salsa and pasta sauce. These are so quick to make. I had them all done from start to finish in about an hour.


The kids go through them so fast. They're downright addictive. It's a good thing we get lots of carrots in our CSA shares. You can find the recipe for the Spicy Dilled Carrot Spears right here.

When those were finished, I worked a little more on the mug rug for the Teal Mini Swap. I was ready to cut the teal fabric for the borders of my piece. Smitty was on the ball...helping for all he was worth.


There's just a little more quilting to do on this, and then it'll be ready for binding. Here's a little tease since I can't show you the whole thing yet.


While I was downstairs, I took the opportunity to get a picture of Sleepy Sadie. She's hard to catch when she isn't moving and blurring her image. I think she's trying to stay incatnito. Possibly she has arrest warrants for when she was a free roaming cat...probably for murdering chipmunks.


It's rare for me not to have every minute of my day planned. I'd already done some slow-stitching, and so I was sitting trying to figure out how to fill the last hours of the day. The ripening plums were on my mind because I'm trying to figure out a way to can them into something other than jam. I'm thinking barbecue sauce, but that will have to wait until after the tomatoes are finished...probably on Wednesday. Then, I remembered a recipe I'd seen on Smitten Kitchen for this Magic Apple Plum Cobbler. And, hey...who doesn't love magic? Plus, I had some apples leftover from the apple extravaCANza, and so what the heck? This cobbler was born.


Mine was baked in an 8 x 8 baking dish because I wanted to bake it in the toaster oven. We had it for dessert while we watched TV last night. I don't know about you, but I don't think it's safe to eat cobbler without some ice cream. And, wow, was that ever good! Just before putting it into the oven, you sprinkle the top with cinnamon and sugar, and it bakes into the nicest crunchy topping. It was a great way to use a few plums and the last of the apples.


But that's not the only thing going on the baking front. With all the jams and jellies I've made this year, we are in serious need of some sourdough, don't you know. And so I got my starters out and fed them, and then used the pour-off from the white starter to get started on some bread. I fed it and left it on the counter.


Several hours later, it looked just the same, but peeking inside, I could see it was starting to bubble. A good sign.


By the time we went to bed last night, it had risen just about an inch above it's rubber band starting point.


When I got up this morning...whoops! Shoulda put that puppy on a plate. And let me tell you, it's a small mess, but ooey-gooey difficult to clean up. It had run down the tiles behind, and it took a tooth brush to get it out of all the little cracks and crevices in the tile. Oy. And me with no coffee yet.


So, I got it all cleaned up and set it on a plate. Half an hour later, it looked like this.


Just before coming upstairs to write this post, I noticed it was nearly to the top of its jar again. Obviously, I'm going to have to keep it stirred down to avoid another mess. I won't be ready for this until Tuesday, and so I might hold off feeding it again until it settles down some.

The kitties are out for their morning romp. They've settled into a nice routine. Out first thing in the morning, then in by noon. They come in tired and ready for napping. It means they're only out about four hours during the day. It gives them a good amount of time for exercise and exploration. We always walk all the way around the house, clapping our hands and yelling, "Bad dogs, go away!" One morning our neighbor some distance away heard us doing this and yelled back, "No bad dogs over here!" The kitties think this monster hunt is great fun and follow us all the way around.


Sadie has staked her claim to the spot next to this mole hill. She's thinking she could score herself a mole. She never eats her kill, but brings it back to Smitty and he, um, cleans it up. She had a litter of kittens before she came to live with us here at her forever home, and we think she learned early on to be a provider. "Here, Smitty, here's your breakfast," we imagine her saying. Smitty is happy to oblige. Breakfast of champions.


Just before coming upstairs to write this post, I tried something new in pasta sauce land. Here's my thinking: With my new Kitchenaid food grinder, I can peel and seed the tomatoes, but I've consulted some of the canning forums and learned that I'll get only tomato puree that way. I really want my sauce a little chunkier than that, and so I decided to run half through the grinder, and roast the other half. I'd read it's easier to peel them by roasting rather than blanching. So I cut them in half and put them in a 425°F. convection oven.


My expectation was that it would take 40 minutes, but I set a timer for 25 minutes to check on them. Then, Smitty came upstairs asking for treats, and so I ended up going downstairs to check them just 15 minutes later, and whoa! Those babies were ready! And Oh. My. Gosh. Is that ever easy! I can pluck the skins right off of them with tongs!


You must understand that this process ordinarily takes hours, and doing it this way is going to cut down on the time significantly. I'm so stoked!!!!!

So today's goal is 8 quarts of pasta sauce, and 4 pints of salsa. Tomorrow I'm hoping to do as much, and then Tuesday I'll take the day off because I have some errands to run. Wednesday, I'll have just 4 quarts of pasta sauce to do and another 4 pints of salsa, and that will be that. Pasta sauce and salsa should use all but about 5 pounds of my 60 pound haul. The rest will go into Bloody Mary Mix.

There are miles to go before I sleep, so I'd better get walking.

12 comments:

gpc said...

Your kitchen tiles are beautiful. Smitty's idea of breakfast spoiled mine. And I love the roasting before peeling idea!

Sally Trude said...

Dearest Barbara,

Smitty is a very lucky cat. I am so impressed that he can give his staff plans for the whole day and you carry them out. I, however, have to give my staff instructions about every five minutes. And she seems to go deaf when I instruct her to open the front door for me. Sometimes she even laughs at me.

Respectfully,

Molly

P.S. We both know that Sadie is not into planning...

Susan said...

I always did the boiling water way to easily remove the skins, but I am going to try this now.

quiltzyx said...

Oh my! Runaway starter!! Your tiles are beautiful, even without the dough on them.

How nice of Sadie to feed Smitty like that & take care of some of the rodent population at the same time.

That looks like an easy way to peel those Poisonous Wolf Peaches & tame them into something more edible! Yay for time-savers!!

Quilting Babcia said...

Well thank you for that roasting trick! Hopefully I'll remember it for next year's canning.

SJSM said...

Oh, yes! I will roast my tomatoes for canning from now on. What a clever ti. Thanks for sharing. Hmm will this work just as well for ripe heirlooms? Do you think they might be too soft? I’m thinking basic canned chopped tomatoes.

Michele said...

That's a LOT of tomatoes. And I love that your neighbor chimed in on the "de-bad-dogging".

piecefulwendy said...

So all my quilt cutting glitches are because I don't have Smitty here holding down my ruler? Who knew?? What a nice photo of Sadie; she's a beautiful cat! As is Smitty, of course, handsome, I mean. Anyway, that is one lively starter! I've had that happen and it is a mess to clean up. Glad you are done with your tomato production. It all looks delicious! Looking forward to seeing that teal reveal.

Sarah said...

Yowza! I made just a couple pounds of ‘maters into roasted tomato soup yesterday (for the freezer). I can’t even imagine dealing with 60 pounds!!! Next up I need to deal with the overabundance from my SILs peach trees. I’m starting with peach ice cream and peach crisp but then I’ll decide what’s next depending on how many peaches land on my doorstep. Can’t wait to see the entire mugrug - ur fabrics are quite pretty. Sadie must be a very proud provider - I know my Zorro is when he brings me “breakfast “.

kc said...

Oh my gosh...you are an enabler, aren't you! So,naturally, I didn't have apples on hand (this is FL, we don't have affordable apples. Ever.), nor plums. But that magic recipe looked so good, I went rumaging around in the freezer. I found BLACKBERRIES! Fresh picked, then frozen after being washed. And there was a not quite ripe nectarine lounging in the veggie crisper, behind the celery and radishes....sounded like a good combination to me, so I've made it. It's currently baking at the moment, but it promises to be absolutely yummy. Oh, I did make a couple of changes..I added some pumpkin pie spice to my cinnamon, and I also mixed some spice into the flour/sugar mixture. And I topped it with a mixture of brown sugar, white sugar & spices. It smells really good, and I can't wait for it to come out of the oven.

Lucky for Smitty he has such a good provider. Not my particular choice of protein, but hey, if it works for them...

Your 'mater tip is a new one for me - looks sooooooo much easier! I remember well the heat & steam the old way produces, not to mention the burnt fingertips! Wow, roasting. Gotta remember that should we ever get in a position to can tomatoes again. BTW, applesauce looks terrific! Definitely got some blue ribbon jars there, ma'am, but, why waste 'em. Sometimes we had to open a jar if there were close calls (in judging), but we only ever just smelled and maybe dipped a spoon. Then they went home, sad and opened, ready to be tossed. (I mean, would YOU eat from a jar that has sat out all week in a hot tent, opened and unrefrigerated? heck NO!)


Kate said...

It's fun watching your adventures in the kitchen (though it usually makes me hungry). My Guy likes the kitchen to himself, so I don't bake too much anymore as he gets such enjoyment from it. Sounds like you've got a kitchen plan for the week. Happy canning.

Brown Family said...

That is a lot of tomatoes. Looks like you have them well in hand. The cobbler looks yummy/