9/15/18

Everything and Nothing

Here's the Everything. Sue and I got out for our walk yesterday morning. Our usual oatmeal place was closed, and so we ended up doing something different than originally planned. We walked through a little park that was a public street at one time. When some development routed the road in a different direction, the road was turned into a walkway for a nice little public park. I've written about this place before, but we don't often walk there. Of course, I had to photograph every little thing...these interesting rosehips, for instance.


Sue said these berries reminded her of something out of Star Trek. I'm not sure what they are, but they were about the size of a ping pong ball.


We were kind of taken with these murals painted on the sidewalk next to curbside drains. I tried...not very successfully...to get a picture of this one. I really needed to step back, but that would have put me into a busy street with lots of traffic going by.


Possibly you had to be there, but it was a little comical as I held the phone high overhead. Our shadow selves were having a good time with it.


I tried turning the lens around to see if I could do any better, and that didn't work at all. My problem was shooting blind because I couldn't see the phone when I had it over my head that way.


Oh well. It was easier on this one seen around the corner. You can see that the mural extends down into the drain in the left lower corner of the image.


On my way home, I encountered this little lady. I stopped my car and took a picture, then drove a little closer and took another picture, and closer yet for another picture. She seemed unafraid, and just stood looking at me. At one point, she looked back over her shoulder, as if she were waiting for a friend. Then she trotted off. I looked for the friend as I drove on, but saw nothing. She's probably the one laying waste to my potted geraniums right now. Who would think that geraniums could taste good, even if you are a deer.


As for that dirt road...it's days are numbered. Paving is scheduled to start nine days from today. They were out laying down more rock and rolling over it with their steamrollers. We've had some rain this past week, and so we're hopeful weather won't get in the way of the paving project.

When I got home, the kitties were inside. They followed me out when I went to fill the bird feeders. I was ready for this moment. Whenever they go outside together, they always stop for kitty kisses.


Then they go their separate ways.


And while they don't seem to be together, they are each aware of one another. If one runs for the door, the other one is in hot pursuit.


And when one is inside, the other one is wishing they would come back outside. They have one another's backs while they are outside.


Back inside, I filled the embroidery hoop again.


And then moved it to the final position. I expect to finish this by tomorrow.


My next task was to use some of the tomato volume to make last night's dinner of tomato-based gazpacho and some crab cakes to go along with it. By the time I was finished, the muscles around my right shoulder blade were in spasm, and I was in considerable pain. That was where the Nothing came in. I did nothing for the rest of the day, except to sit around moaning in pain. It happens occasionally...the same muscle spasm in the same place, and it is very debilitating. I went a couple of rounds in our hot tub, used a heating pad, took some tylenol, and got a nice massage from Mike. It was a little more relaxed by the time we went to bed, and I slept fine. Still, I can feel it threatening this morning. It's warning me...don't overdo it today. So I'm going to be careful.

There was a pretty sunrise this morning.


There may not be much on my day's horizon. We're leaving on another camping trip on Monday, and so there's plenty to do to get ready. I'm hoping I can get it all done.

The old RV will leave our driveway tomorrow, and that will be a welcome sight. It has looked like an RV B&B here for most of the summer. We're going to leave some chips, salsa, and a container of margaritas in the refrigerator for the new owners. It's their first RV. We've had a lot of fun in it during the time we've owned it and it's been all over the USA. They're getting a nice rig, and Mike has worked all summer bringing it back to like-new condition. Hopefully, they'll have as much fun with it as we did.

6 comments:

Brown Family said...

Those are very cleaver signs on the sidewalk with a good message! Sweet kitty kisses and a beautiful sky!

QuiltGranma said...

I remember walking along a favorite creek in winter and found a squirrel eating rose hips, spitting out the hairy flower end, and getting all the good vitamin C from the red flesh. It was a cold, long winter.

piecefulwendy said...

Hope your shoulder blade pain has gone away now, and not come back. How nice that you are leaving a little something tasty for the new RV owners. So many memories for you and Mike in that rig. Your embroidery is coming along nicely. I have some embroidery patterns one of the bloggers from the Welcome to My House blog hop has shared with me. They are really cute and I can't wait to practice on them. Love the kitties' routine on their outside excursions!

Denise :) said...

Fun being outside with the kitties. Loved the kitty kisses!! :)

Kate said...

Sorry about the muscle spasms, those are just not fun. Hopefully you've been able to get the one in your shoulder under control so you are enjoying your trip.

quiltzyx said...

Smitty & Sadie are quite gorgeous with the sun hitting their furs!

Have you ever tried using a Salon Pas patch on your spasm? They work like magic for me. Both on leg cramps & shoulder & back pain/tightness. (And they're available on amazon too)