8/19/18

Sweet and Spicy

We made our annual trek out to see some friends in Seaside, Oregon, yesterday. With the name of their town, you might think they live right near the beach. Although their mailing address is Seaside, the town doesn't actually end up by the sea for another half hour or so west of their place. Nevertheless, it does have that beachy, marine air feel some of the time. Yesterday, it was just plain August hot.

We see these friends (and their friends, and friends of their friends) once per year. It's a sit-around-and-listen-to-certain-men yack session. Sometimes I enjoy going out, and generally, we make a weekend of it. (It's a weekend-long party.) When we do that, we take our camper, and the camper is a nice place to take a break from people and noise. Right now, Erik and Mae have our camper while they complete a bathroom remodel, and so we were just there for the afternoon. It was less enjoyable that way, and I really just wanted to be at home sewing. Nevertheless, it was a good day for the most part and now we're back home again.

During the day, I generally get out with my cameras and take a walk around the place. There's always plenty to see and look at, especially when one's focus is on the tiny things. I had my camera loaded with a macro lens yesterday so that I could take pictures of every little thing. Here's what I saw:

I love the blooming grasses at this time of the year, and they always glisten in the late afternoon sun.


Who doesn't love a good dandelion close-up? Most of the dandelions had spread their seeds, but there were a few left that were mostly intact.


These are like tiny little apples. I don't know what they are or if they're good to eat. They're smaller than a marble.


This little bunch had a critter on it.



This is called Queen Anne's Lace.


Here's how it looks in bud.


There are some little volunteer fir seedlings around.


And this little feather, about an inch long.


Later in the day, our shadow selves went out together.


They saw these little crabapples...about the size of a golf ball.


And the berries of these Alder trees. Mike's shadow self Googled them to see if they were edible, and that was a definite and loudly spoken NO! According to Google, "The fruits of the alder buckthorn are very TOXIC." And we're not talking about lower case "toxic." No, this is ALL CAPS "TOXIC," so put your hands in your pockets until we get by here.


Also, these little white flowers. They had a critter too.


This is some sort of succulent growing in the garden. Our friend was recently diagnosed with Alzheimer's disease. She seems to be doing well and she has a happy spirit, but her garden has suffered and grown over in blackberries, which is kind of sad.


The blackberries are producing fruit, but I always stand in solidarity with Mike and his shadow self and we don't eat these seeded berries.


And I love the look of stacks of firewood. I don't know why, but I simply have to take a picture when I see them like this.


So getting back to the goings on here at the Three Cats Ranch this morning, I received my Pickle Crisp from Amazon. Although I pickle a lot of things, I don't make a lot of pickles per se. And so I only knew about Pickle Crisp from the canning pages I've seen on Facebook. Today I'm using a recipe from Cook's Illustrated that called for Pickle Crisp. It's an alternative to lime in pickles (don't ask me...I don't know), and it's really just granules of calcium carbonate. I'm assuming it lives up to its name and keeps the pickles crisp.

So I looked for it in the grocery store the other day and couldn't find it. Instead, while I was standing there in the aisle of the grocery store, I consulted my friend Google about the Pickle Crisp. As it turns out the parent company of Ball (Jarden) produced a powdered Pickle Crisp at some point in time. When it didn't sell well (by their judgment), they took it off the market. The clamor of canners looking for Pickle Crisp was loud enough that they re-released the product, this time in granular form. I found it on Amazon, and ordered it from where I stood. It was delivered yesterday. I Amazon Prime. No really. I really ♥♥♥ it. If I wasn't already married to another man, I would beg Amazon Prime to let me have its babies.


So today's adventure is a sweet and spicy bread and butter pickle. (You probably thought I was talking about myself with that title up there didn't you?) Our farmers love their peppers, and at this point into the season, they start showering us with peppers. We're just barely getting started, let me tell you. This last share included serranos, jalapenos, and these Italian wax peppers.


So my recipe uses nearly 3 pounds of the zucchini (more than half of what I have...bonus!), 3 jalapenos, and four shallots. And while I don't generally go monkeying around with canning recipes, I added the two Italian wax peppers too. There's enough vinegar in this mix that it shouldn't be a problem adding a little more low-acid veggies to the mix. As I'm writing this, I've done the slicing and now it's sitting in salt for the next three hours.


When time's up, I'll drain it, pack it into jars with the spices, and pour the hot vinegar over, and then process it. I'll have to get back to you and tell you how it turns out.

Aside from that I'll be making lists today so I can get the RV packed for our trip to the beach next week. It's our first outing in the new RV, and so I'm excited about that. If there's any time for sewing today, I'll get to work on August's Tuxedo Tales cat.

11 comments:

QuiltE said...

Have never heard of Pickle Crisp before. I always doubled up (or more!) on the alum quantity, just to make sure the dills were good and crispy. So if Pickle Crisp is Calcium Carbonate, gosh, maybe we could share our human supplemental tablets with the pickles. :) Your sweet and spicy mix looks so enticing, though for me, warm spices yes, but not the hots or the heat of peppers, not! :)

Quilting Babcia said...

Though I know they're really invasive those blackberries make the best jam ever IMHO! We tried to get all the seeds out with a food mill before making the jam. Messy but well worth the extra effort.

quiltzyx said...

I always enjoy your pics from the Seaside weekend & today's are no exception! I don't think I've seen Queen Anne's Lace in bud before - very interesting looking. And good to know that Alder berries are TOXIC too!! I will happily eat Mike's blackberry share to save him from the evil seeds....
Who knew that pickles required special stuff to make them crisp?! I do learn something from you every time!! Thanks!

Kate said...

Lots of fun pictures. Macro phototgraphy is fun, except for in the state of Oklahoma, where the wind comes sweeping down the plains. Wind and macro photography don't do so well together. Hope you had a nice visit and got some sewing in this afternoon.

piecefulwendy said...

This post had me giggling all the way through it again. You'd think that with all that Amazon love you'd be at least an affiliate (are you?) - haha! Those macro photos are really fun, but now I'm curious about those teensy apples. Don't eat the alderberries. Got it.

Californianativedaughter said...

I think that creature on those apples is the Light Brown Apple Moth (check out: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Light_brown_apple_moth) It's not a nice guy and has wreaked havoc on my Granny Smith apple tree ever since I've had it. Even after using two Apple Moth baits every year, it still takes most of my apples on my tree. Yesterday, I picked up more than 30 apples that had fallen prematurely off the tree, and every one of them had evidence of the nasty Light Brown Apple Moth.
Rosemary

Brown Family said...

I remember Mom using Lime in her pickles to keep them crisp!

gpc said...

Sorry about your friend's diagnosis, danged disease. Happy spirit or not, that had to change the tone of this year's visit. Hugs.

Mascha said...

Wonderful close ups, have enjoyed them all. Sounds like a famous trip!
Honestly, I've never heard about pickle crisp, but I'm not a kitchen fairy...
Greetings from Germany :)

(came from Wandering Camera)

Soma @ inkTorrents.com said...

Sweet collection of close up captures. Love the one of the feather.

Thanks so much for linking up on Wandering Camera.

-Soma

Kim said...

I love the sound of sweet and spicy bread and butter pickle; they sound delicious. Such a lovely post overflowing with gorgeous photos. You and that camera of yours do capture the most beautiful of photos!