8/8/18

Moulin Rouge

You might be wondering about that title. It's a nod to the Can-Can, which is what I've been doing for days. Can after can after can...only why do we call it canning? We're using jars, so what the heck? Anyway...yesterday it was Chunky Tomatillo Salsa. My yield was 4 1/2 pints. The half-pint jar went straight into the refrigerator. We had it with our Enchiladas Suizas last night, and it was very tasty.


While I was waiting and stirring, stirring and waiting, I spent some time in my pantry rearranging shelves. I've done so much canning already this year that my jars were teetering precariously and spread out and around any place they could fit. I moved some things around and managed to dedicate two shelves to nothing but homemade canned goods. The jars on the left of the image below are mostly jellys and jams (some made by others). In the middle are relishes and to the right are pickled things. There's still room for more, so obviously, I have more work to do.


To my right were more pickled things, pepper jellies, and chutneys. Some would say you're not supposed to stack your jars like this, but I like to live dangerously.


Aw...but to the left of those...this revered spot for the queen of all things canned...pasta sauce. My mouth is watering just thinking of it. Usually I score 40 lbs. of Roma tomatoes from our farmers, and I'm expecting those within the next couple of weeks. Then, I'll be busy for several days cooking them down.


Today I'll be turning the Romas from our own plants into Smoky Spicy Skillet Tomato Jam. These are the ones I picked yesterday.


They've been macerating in the refrigerator overnight. This morning, I'll pour them into a skillet and cook them down. I'm promised a short session this morning. You can bet I'll report back on them.

When I was finished processing the salsa, I was able to piece together a back for Wine Country. I told you I'd use that cork fabric somehow. Except for about a fat quarter of the red and a yard of the green, I used all the fabrics I purchased for the quilt.


You can see that the bottom panel is a little narrower than the top where the cork is. Those edges will all be cut off eventually, so it won't matter.

And, hey, did you know it's International Cat Day? Smitty is ready to party!


But first, he's going to take a nap.

On these warm summer nights, he's been spending his time on the catio. I find him outside in the morning.


Yesterday morning, I stitched far enough on Heart & Home to move the hoop to the next position.


That's what I'll be doing next.


And then...I'll get back to my canning. One more day...for now. After that, mopping. It's amazing how a lengthy canning session can make a floor sticky, despite my best efforts to keep everything in the pot.

6 comments:

Linda said...

I'm really enjoying your canning posts here as well as photos on IG. (Well I like all the stuff you write about!)
Thanks for the tip on the 1.99 canning book for Kindle!
Your Wine Country quilt is really pretty.

Marjorie's Busy Corner said...

Gardening is great, isn't it?

crazy quilter said...

You certainly have been busy with the canning this year. The back of wine country is my favorite, I always try to use left over fabric for my backs.Yeah for using all th fabric you purchased for this quilt. Happy nations Cat day to Smitty and Sadie! Sorry you have to move, one of my least favorite chores but a necessary evil.

piecefulwendy said...

All those jars on the shelf is a thing of beauty indeed! Can't wait to see that lonely corner filled up too! Your backing piece turned out great!

quiltzyx said...

Oh to have an organized pantry! Congrats!! It all looks so tasty too. Especially the salsa verde. Just sayin'.

The Heart & Home birdhouses & birdies is so cute! It just makes me smile :)

Brown Family said...

Can Can sounds better that jar jar, unless you are a Star Wars fan. Your pantry will be full in no time!