8/31/18

Fair Weather

Sue and I made our way down to Salem to for the Oregon State Fair yesterday. The day started out cool, but warmed nicely until we were in bright sunshine by the time we headed for home. We headed first to the quilts...


I'm afraid I didn't do a very good job taking pictures of the identifying notes for the quilters in this group I'm about to show you. In some cases, they were hung high overhead, and so I couldn't read them anyway. Nevertheless, I feel compelled to apologize to the quiltmakers for my failure to recognize their efforts beyond posting them here as some of my favorites from the fair.

This first one was kind of a different take on an I Spy quilt. The little I Spy pieces were made in the form of blocks resembling instant Poloroid photographs. It's a clever idea.


This one was made in response to a challenge at my former guild. The theme of the challenge was "Home is Where the Heart Is."


This next one was interesting to me because of the leaf blocks. I won a set of these blocks in the Block Lotto several years ago. Mine went to my friend Marei because I was near certain I would never do anything with them. I liked what this quilter did.


Here's the story behind them.


There were several Violet Craft patterns on display.




And the cats were well-represented.


This block wouldn't be hard to reproduce.


Pretty.


Sue and I both loved this one. We probably spent more time in front of this one than any of the others. I didn't notice which ribbons it received, but obviously a first place and a division win. That might be a best of show ribbon as well.


Here are some of the details.





This one's for you, Padsworth.


This is a whole cloth quilt, about king-sized. I was impressed that it was quilted on a domestic sewing machine.



In some cases, I just loved the quilting. These are free motion quilted sunflowers.


Dia de los muertos.




Here's an interesting take on a binding. I looked at it for a few minutes. It appears to be made in two pieces. Now I wish I'd looked at the back.


Oh, and whose quilt is this? We'd looked at all the quilts and were down to the last alcove. I still hadn't seen my own, and I was getting a little panicky. They were back in the farthest corners, and I didn't see them at first.


Here are the Quilting Snowladies.


I enjoyed watching these women looking at each individual block. I don't know if they were reading the caption or looking for the cats.


From there, we looked at the canning. There's something about seeing the canning at the fair that uninspires me. Seeing all those half-eaten jars with little stickers for ribbons...I don't know...each year I think I'll enter something next year. Then I see those sad little jars, and I change my mind.

We did enjoy the floppy-eared bunnies.


And the rastafarian goats.


Look at these two...it's good to have a friend.


When we got back to my house, I showed Sue our bench. She hadn't seen it in the flesh before. Of course, a selfie was a requirement.


Definitely good to have a friend.

So, after Sue left, it was tempting to can something. But then I thought about boiling and cutting and slicing and dicing, and I grew tired without even starting. Instead, I laid down for a long nap. I have no regrets. Today, I'll be back at it. Hoping to get at least three batches done because tomorrow (cue Jaws music) tomatoes arrive.

15 comments:

Quilting Babcia said...

Thanks for sharing the state fair quilt photos, and of course your wins!! Yay for you! I also loved that old Chevrolet truck quilt. Try not to drown in tomato juice over the weekend, I'm headed to the benefit auction tomorrow to see how our quilts do.

Quilting Tangent said...

Thank you for sharing pictures of the quilt show. Congratulations on 2 ribbons.

Debbie said...

Yay for the wins...good going. Enjoyed the show, thanks for sharing.

Unknown said...

I LOVE that silly bench, I remember the story you told about Sue sending you the plaque. Too cute!!

Janarama said...

Great picture of you and Sue together on the bench. You should frame one for yourself and one for Sue.

Sandra W said...

Looks like a fun day. Good friends are a treasure and hard to find.You and Sue are lucky. The quilts were lovely, and, of course, you and your ribbons. I loved the animals too. I have a nap almost every day! I enjoy it and am also a bit lazy.

Stitches said...

I really enjoyed the quilt pictures from the Fair, thanks for taking and posting them. Your canning amazes me, I have never really liked doing it but I have a sister that loves to can. In fact, she even bought a double decker pressure cooker. I think she can do 14 quarts at a time!! It's nice that you enjoy it and you should definitely enter some in the Fair next year..

piecefulwendy said...

I notice you didn't mention the two ribbons I see on your quilts, so congratulations! That top quilt is actually called a Polaroid quilt; I'm seeing them pop up on Instagram and blogs. It's a fun way to fussy cut fabric and make them look like old Polaroid photos. Who knew? I was never that wowed by Polaroid pictures in the first place (geez, that sounds like an old lady saying that). One of the times I was at our state fair, I couldn't even get close to see the quilts for the people. Glad you had room to move and view them. So many talented quilters in your neck of the woods. Nice to see a picture of you and Sue. I think I want a rastafarian goat - Haha!

Denise :) said...

What a fun day ... always a happy to share that kind of a day with a good friend! :) Enjoyed all the pics; the bunnies and goats were a cute addition! I was just thinking you should enter some of your canning, when I read your commentary on that. Ah well. :)

Lou said...

Congratulations!!!!

Kate said...

Wow! There were some spectacular quilts at the fair. The animal photos were fun too. Hope you have a chance to recover and get back to your own stitching.

Michele said...

Thanks for sharing the fair pics. Congrats on the ribbons.

Brown Family said...

I always enjoy seeing the quilts. Thanks for sharing them. The bunnies and goats are cute, too@ It appears that you and Sue had a wonderful day at the Fair.

quiltzyx said...

As usual, some wonderful quilts at the State Fair this year. I especially liked the Polaroid quilt (on my list), red elephant, the cranes in the snow, & the Chevy truck & your 2 winners! (I am partial to old Chevy trucks as I came THAT close to being born in one on the freeway!)
Fun furry fotos too. Rasta Goats! LOL!!!

Love the pic of Sue & You too. I agree with Janarama, it needs to be framed, one for each of you.

beaquilter said...

Congratulations on the ribbons!
It was hard to tell but it looked like faux something binding. It's two different widths of fabric so 1.75 and 1.25"? Then they finish at 2.5"and when you see it on as binding it has a little edge peeking....