8/26/18

Bold Bullions

Yesterday I was minding my own business, stitching away on the Pumpkin Pie stitchery, and that bullion stitch just kept after me.

"Neh, neh, neh...you'll never finish this piece. Neh, neh, neh. You'll do something easy like a Lazy Daisy or something. Neh, neh, neh."

Finally, I could take it no more, and so I took the whole piece out of the hoop and returned to the video Meg Hawkey posted on YouTube. When I linked to this a while back, I gave you the wrong link. I misunderstood and thought the videos could be found on the Crabapple Hill Studio website. In fact, Meg has a YouTube channel where she's posted some excellent videos on some of these scary stitches. Here's the video for the Bullion Stitch. If you can't see the video, then click right here.


Since I had the absolute pleasure of having Meg sit right next to me in class and show me how to do the stitch, watching the video was like having her right beside me again. I stopped and started the video as I needed to, and then I completed my first circle of bullion stitches. Ta-Da!


And since I've been whining about this stitch for a solid year, I'm feeling pretty darned self-satisfied at having jumped that hurdle. But I wasn't finished. I needed to make another circle around the ones I'd already done...thus:


And then I needed to fill in the center with French knots. And there you have it...one complete flower.


(Polishes fingernails on shirt.)

There wasn't much left to stitch after that, but I wanted to get on with my salsa canning. My first stop was the greenhouse to harvest whatever tomatoes needed harvesting. I picked another 2 1/2 pounds.


And there are more...oh yes...there are more.

So the salsa recipe was enticing because it only required 2 lbs. of tomatoes, not to mention just being "salsa," for which we are seriously Jonesing. Last year's salsa was used up months ago. By now, we're barely hanging on to life by a thread, so great is our need for salsa.

In desperation, I tried this recipe from Marisa McClellan's book, "Preserving by the Pint." It only requires 2 lbs. of tomatoes, and I already had those even without yesterday's harvest. The salsa is barely cooked at all, and then funneled into jars for processing. When all was said and done, I had 5 half pints plus a little bonus for the cook. The bonus went straight into the refrigerator to cool.


The first thing you might notice about this is that the salsa is floating above some watery liquid in the bottom. When I shake it up, it mixes better, but it looks less-than-appetizing like you see it here. The tomatoes are barely cooked, as I said, and so the salsa behaves like jars of raw-packed tomatoes. The look is okay for plain tomatoes, but not so great for salsa. Nevertheless, desperate salsa times call for desperate measures and so we tasted the bonus jar when it was cool enough. It was underwhelming. It needed more vinegar and something else. This morning I tried adding some Tabasco and a little bit of flavored vinegar, and that improved the flavor significantly. Having determined that, I might give this another try, but I'm not prepared to share a recipe with you yet.

While the salsa was processing, I finished off the last of the Pumpkin Pie piece.


It's okay if you look at the flower some more. You can stroke it if you like. Certainly, I have. After I took it downstairs, I pulled some fabrics I'd like to use to make my little wall hanging. I don't know if I'll use any or all or none of these fabrics. For now, they're laid out beside the piece and I'll circle them for a bit while I decide what to do next.


As for yesterday's "next," I wanted to get started on the August block for Tuxedo's Tales...this one.


So, I picked out my fabrics and applied fusible to all the pieces.


Then I fused them to the background and drew in the stitching lines.


That was as far as I got, but I'll get the stitching finished today.

First, I'll get started stitching the next quilt shop names and cities for Row 5 of the Shop Hop quilt.


And since I still haven't unpacked the trailer, I need to do that too. There are a few small housekeeping chores to catch up on, but there should be plenty of sewing time today.

Our weather has turned much cooler and Fall-like. Have things cooled off where you live too?

Oh yes, and I almost forgot! Quilting Snowladies was a first place winner at the Oregon State Fair.


Quiltmaker's Garden was a second place winner.


So, I'm pretty happy about that. Sue and I will be heading to the fair this Thursday, and I'll see the rest of the quilts then.

27 comments:

Deb said...

Your bullion stitch is beautiful, thanks for the link as this stitch has me struggling. The finished pumpkin pie is beautiful and I love the start on Tuxedo's August block. Your tomatoes look absolutely gorgeous. Terrific on the state fair wins.

gpc said...

Congratulations! You are becoming a State Fair legend!!

Kate said...

Sorry about the underwhelming salsa. That had to be disappointing. Congrats on the quilt ribbons! That is very cool! Your pumpkin pie stitchery turned out beautifully and your little purple flower is lovely.

Judy1522 said...

Congratulations on winning first and second place with your quilts.

Debbie said...

Congrats on both wins!!! That is super.
And double congrats on learning the bullion stitch! It just takes a few tries to get it down and you look like you have it! I started off doing embroidery and crazy quilting.....then teaching the stitches. Bullion is always a harder one to master. I use to do great roses using just bullion stitches.

Shirley said...

Congratulations on your fair entries!!! I can certainly see why they were winners.

Sally Trude said...

Congratulations on your winnings! However, given that you won both first and second place...is that really fair?

quiltzyx said...

The bullion flower came out great! Way to go!!

And TWO ribbons at the fair - the judges were at the top of their game this year! :) Congrats Barbara!!

Sorry the salsa was underwhelming, but glad to hear you can "fix" it.

The latest Tuxedo Tales block is funny! Chicken head!!

Vroomans' Quilts said...

Congratulations on your ribbons fabulous! I don't think I have ever done the bullion stitch, but your flower looks lovely on that cute pumpkin piece. Super group of fabrics pulled, too. The newest Tuxedo kitty is a Fall winner. Yes, we have gotten cooler on our coast line a well with some nights dipping into the 50's.

CathieJ said...

Congratulations on the fair wins. They are well deserved. Congrats on conquering the Bullion stitch too. That flower is beautiful. I wouldn't use the middle orange fabric with the dark circles in the bottom row. Of all the fabrics that you chose, that seems like it is much too bright for that pretty embroidered picture. Sorry about the Salsa. I don't can, but I agree that the floating tomato mixture doesn't look very appealing.

Janarama said...

Yahooooooooooo, way to go on winning two more ribbons to proudly display!

crazy quilter said...

Wohoo! That flower looks beautiful! Congrats on the wins for both of your entries. I love ribbons and blue is my favorite color... the sausa looks fine but I as wondering about the liquid in the bottom. I do want to try to make some soon. Not much cooler here, still in the 90’s during the day , early mornings are nice hopefully cooler weather will arrive soon.

Cheryl's Teapots2Quilting said...

90 degrees with a heat index of 101, and even hotter tomorrow. It had cooled off for a few days. Oh well. Pretty flower. Congrats on the quilt ribbons.

Annette Mandel said...

Bravo on the boullion stitch! You big leaves are much better covered than mine! Congrats on your ribbons

Lyndsey said...

Well done on the first and second place ribbons for your quilts, they are beautiful (the quilts not the ribbons). Your bullion stitch looks great and the completed piece will make a cute little wall hanging. The last lot of salsa I made was a bit watery and bland but proved fairly easy to spice up. Its always a problem when trying a new recipe.

Lou said...

Congratulations on your ribbons!!!
I am working on Sue Spargo Birds and dread the bullion stitches!! I always save them for last... I somehow forget how to make them from bird to bird??
So I make 3 at a time so I can do all the hard stitches at one time:) You SO need to try the drizzle stitch! It is SO fun and I just love them!!!


Sandra W said...

Well done on your quilt wins!

Susan said...

Congratulations on the first and second place wins for your quilts. Also, for conquering the bullion stitch.

piecefulwendy said...

You sassy bullion stitcher, you! Look at you go! I haven't tried a stitch like that. I can barely stand french knots. Haha! Congratulations on the ribbons too. They are well deserved! I was looking at the tuxedo cat patterns on her website yesterday. Sure wish I could find them all in one pattern, but nope. Ah well. I have a few more of her panels to stitch up, and I'm enjoying them. We had a nice stretch of cooler weather, but then it was time for state fair weather, so we are back to hot and muggy. The shift to fall weather should be coming soon, and I'm looking forward to it!

SJSM said...

Such good news all around! Congrats on the State Fair Ribbons. I'm glad the judges were impressed with your stitching as we are. The bullion stitch doesn't look as difficult watching Meg do it as looking at the stitch described in a book. But a pro makes anything look easier. Well now you are a pro at the bullion stitch. Our weather is a bit cooler, not cold by any means as we are in the 70's during the day and 60's at night. Perfect weather by my account. The good news is the smoke from the fires is blowing in a different direction and we have gone from "Unhealthy" air to "Good" air. So much better than the "Hazardous" we had earlier. Most fires are contained but still need to be put out. Word is, it will be weeks before all fires are out. That is for the present fires. If more crop up before it rains, well, we will have to take it as it comes. Thanks for the large crews of firefighters who risk life and limb to keep us as safe as possible.

Auntiepatch said...

Oh yes, and I almost forgot!??? LOL! You crack me up! Congrats on your first and second place wins at the fair!

ckrut said...

Congratulations on the ribbons! Have fun at the fair.

Unknown said...

Congrats Barb!! So humble you are, lol. Quiltmakers Garden was my particular fave that you did. Hope you treated the kitties for all their "help"! It's back up in the 90s this week in PA ugh. Waiting for fall. Congrats again!

Robin said...

Wonderful success with the bullion stitches. The flower turned out really nice. I love the fabric you selected for the cat. Too cute!

kc said...

Wow - that bullion flower turned out sooo sooo pretty! You really did a good job on it and it really adds to the whole stitchery piece. Congrats on your ribbons at the fair - no surprise at the blue, but apparently I'm not a good judge, 'cuz I would have thought the garden was due another blue. But then again, if you had them in the same category (not likely, where I come from), then, yeah, I could see a first AND a second place finish.

The salsa looks good - we always fought with separation while canning too. We found that cooking the 'maters just a bit longer prior to jarring would help cut down on the water that comes out of 'em while processing.

We are back from our summer travels, and neither of us wanted to come home, even though our home is really its own little paradise. We spent a full week on Jekyll Island, and still didn't see everything! We are trying to put together a trip back up Tallahassee way, to spend some time at that museum you had so much fun in. Or maybe go down to Key West and see what's left of Bluewater Key. I don't know, just so long as we GO! :)

Cathy said...

Congrats on winning again this year! We’ve come to expect it of you, LOL. Seriously, it’s richly deserved.

Brown Family said...

I am glad you prevailed over the bullion stitch. It is a pretty flower! Congrats on the ribbons