7/31/18

With A Little Help from my Cats

It was a marvelously relaxing day of slow stitching yesterday. I barely moved from our reclining chair next to the living room window. First, I embroidered a few more names for the next row of the Shop Hop quilt.


Then it was time to sew on the hanging sleeve for the Quiltmaker's Garden quilt. For this, Smitty was my faithful companion. He stayed on my quilt-covered lap for the entirety of this sewing exercise.


As I was taking the final stitches on the sleeve, Sadie walked by the glass door. When I didn't hear her come inside, I went outside to investigate. There she was in her little cat house inside the catio. It seemed like a perfect opportunity to close the catio door and that was the end of their outdoor time for the day. Generally, they come in around 1:00 p.m., and they seem relieved when they can spend the rest of the afternoon napping.


With the miles of hanging sleeve finished, I needed to sew on the label.


For that, my little cat Sadie joined me and remained there until the label was finished.


And with that, this quilt is ready for its debut at the Oregon State Fair next month.


Today is a CSA pick-up day, but aside from that, I'll enjoy another NBS day. Today I'm going to make a hanging sleeve for the Working for Peanuts quilt. That one is going to hang on one of the walls in our bedroom. If I finish with that, I might get a head start on my goal for August's OMG. I'm a day early, but I'll just say that my goal is going to be to sew the Wine Country quilt into a flimsy.


When I last worked on this quilt, I had the blocks finished, but had to think about how to sew them together. My original idea was discarded, and so I was back to the "thinking board" with it. Now, I think I know just what to do to finish it off. When the linky party goes live (presumably tomorrow), I'll link up with my goal for August.


8 comments:

NancyA said...

Barbara, I know you told us this before, but, since I am old, I don’t remember—how do you make your labels? Do you buy the prepared fabric or do the process yourself using the solution that one can buy? I love the unique labels that you have made that go so well with the quilts.

Sally Trude said...

I'm glad to see Smitty is back to work. He has a nice unobtrusive management style. Buddy the 50 pound lap pony wants to be up in my arms...I think he's trying to collapse my lungs.

piecefulwendy said...

There is nothing more comfortable and relaxing than quilting with kitties on your lap. Oh how I miss that! Enjoy your NBS day!

QuiltGranma said...

Sounds like a wonderful day is planned, and a wonderful start, with cat lap times! I do miss that!

quiltzyx said...

Nice to see that both Sadie & Smitty helped you finish up The Quiltmaker's Garden quilt. :)

Looking at the wine-y quilt, I was thinking that my boss, Laura would like that one. Except the block borders would have to be black & white, her favorite colors! lol I like your choices myself.

Patty said...

Nice blocks. Thanks for linking up with Elm Street Quilts One Monthly Goal and good luck with your project.

Debi said...

Love your cat helpers! Your blocks are quite nice and have inspired me to go have a glass of wine LOL!

Kate said...

I hope Smitty and Sadie got lots of treats for being such good helpers last weekend. You've been moving right along with all your quilty goals.