7/29/18

Kitchen Duty

We're having guests for dinner tonight. It's really just an excuse to clean the place up. Mike (aka Blow Man) went around yesterday with his leaf blower and blew all the debris off the patios and sidewalks, and hey! The place looks a whole lot better. It's amazing how much one's eyes can avoid seeing until its all gone from view, if that makes any sense.

In my kitchen wanderings yesterday, I had most things about half done, and ready to put the final touches on them today. I made the same Dilled Potato and Pickled Cucumber Salad I made last week. Mike has declared it the best potato salad I've ever made. Sounds like a winner to me. Also, I made this BLT Bow Tie Pasta Salad. With our salads, we'll be having a Crisp Skin High Roast Chicken from Cook's Illustrated. Mike can grill this, and that makes it easier for me. The link I've given you includes the potatoes that can be cooked below the chicken. The chicken fat drips into them, cooking and flavoring the potatoes, but we think they end up too greasy. It'll be just the chicken for us. Today I'm making a lemon meringue pie. Here's a picture of one I made for Pi day a couple of years ago. I knew you'd want to see it.


It's not a difficult pie to make, but there are a lot of steps involved. That will take me the better part of the morning.

So that's yesterday and today's morning in a nutshell...or a pie shell...or whatever.

There was a little time for sewing yesterday. I've nearly completed two more shops for the Shop Hop quilt embroidery.


This row has seven names because the center block will be a double. There are two fabrics with a larger scale that will get a little more room on the quilt than the others.

Also, I made the hanging sleeve for the Quiltmaker's Garden quilt. It's pinned to the quilt and ready for hand-sewing. I doubt anything more will happen on this until tomorrow.


The label is also made and ready for sewing.


When I was ready to leave the sewing room, Smitty showed up. His dinner dish needed attention.

How would it be if I knocked this box of binding clips to the floor? I could, you know. Just a thought.


Guess I'd better take care of the cat. There's lots to do in the kitchen today. Mustn't keep the pie (or the cat) waiting.

5 comments:

quiltzyx said...

That chicken does sound good - hard to resist nice crispy skin!
Hope you have a lovely time tonight with your guests.

You are once again speeding along with your shop names. It does look like Smitty is threatening you with sewing room mayhem indeed! Such a smart aleck!!

Brown Family said...

I knocked a box of odds and ends off the sewing table while quilting. I failed to pick them up right away. My husband walked through the room and sighed. I fessed up before he blamed the cat!

piecefulwendy said...

If only there were a faster way to sew those hanging sleeves on. That's one of my most unfavorite tasks. I'm drooling over that lemon pie. Hi to the kitties!

Kate said...

Hope your dinner went off well. It certainly sounds yummy!

Cheryl's Teapots2Quilting said...

Your thread catcher looked very familiar. I had to go check it out on my blog. Way back, when you were hosting the NewFO's. I haven't had a giveaway since last summer. Maybe I should have another one soon.