6/6/18

Quilt Shop: Cedar Ridge Quilts, Oregon City, Oregon

Maybe I was too embarrassed about adding yet more fabric to my stash to mention that I'd visited a quilt shop over the weekend. But, yes, I did indulge in my other hobby...fabric acquisition...while we were in Oregon City. I blame Molly the cat. She told me about the shop, although I already knew about it. Still, it's Molly's fault for putting the idea in my head.

So after I took the Boat Captain back to the launch to pick up his truck and trailer, I headed over to Cedar Ridge Quilts.


Initially, I drove past because it's located in a shopping center and not visible from the road. Walking through the front door, it looks like this.


To my left was a display of small-scale prints.


The owner was quite friendly. She had some fabrics I hadn't seen before, despite my recent trip around the USA of quilt shops. When I mentioned this, she told me her shop had only been open eight months, and so all of her inventory consisted of very recent acquisitions.


There were some pretty Asian prints and Aboriginal prints. Also on that shelf at the top, some real beauties. I loved this one, and I picked up a yard.


There was also a nice display of pretty batiks.


She had a lot of small scale and civil war prints.



I like these indigo blues. Sometime I'd like to make a quilt in these colors.


On the far side of the store was a classroom area.


Toward the back of the store, tone-on-tones, and gingham.


She had a good supply of wool and flannel.


There were more calicoes toward the rear of the store,


and there was a long-arm and sewing studio toward the back. I think this is how a lot of quilt shops come into existence. It's a place for someone to have a sewing studio and sell some fabric on the side. If I were 30 years younger, I would so be doing the same thing.


She also had a nice supply of fabric, including Laura Heine and Crabapple Hill.


I looked at this next fabric for a long time and ended up with two yards of it. I think it will make a nice back for the flamingos. It's looking more blue in this image than it actually is. My eyes saw the bright pinks and oranges. The blues and aquas were just a bonus.


They shouldn't squawk too much about that backing, should they?


So I enjoyed my visit to this shop. It's quite some distance from my home, and in general, small scale prints aren't the ones I usually gravitate to. Still, if I start making more minis, this might just be a good place to pick up some prints that would work well. In any case, the owner was a delight, and it's well worth a stop-in if you find yourself in Oregon City.

Interestingly, while I was there, a woman came in with a fusible applique piece she'd made. The applique was so difficult to discern that I wondered if it was a printed panel. Nope...definitely, upon closer inspection, I could see that it was indeed applique. She was using a product called Soft Fuse, and we had a conversation about the benefits. It might be a good alternative to Heat 'n Bond Lite. I ended up ordering a small package from Amazon, and it's now sitting in my sewing room waiting for me to give it a try. I'll report back, although when I'll do that is anyone's guess.

7 comments:

Barbara said...

My soul is fed with needle and thread.

Quilting Babcia said...

Love your "first comment" motto, couldn't agree more. That paint-spatter bird print is fabulous.

QUILTING IS BLISSFUL, DI said...

Oh my--I would love this shoppe too--I miss going in actual fabric shops--it is such a nice 'rush' when you walk through the door and see all the fabric and patterns and threads--
enjoy, di

crazy quilter said...

I have to rave about the soft fuse, I have been using it for years and much prefer it to any of the heat n bond or steam a seam products. It is not stiff like the others and a dream to sew. I hope you get a chance to give it a try soon , as I want to hear your opinion. I started using it when I was doing lots of wool applique . I have several projects in waiting in wool so it will be used again. It looks like you found a wonderful quilt shop. Brick and Morter shops are getting harder to find, and I do love a good quilt shop visit. Your veggies and all your plants are looking good. I really need to get me some lavender I just love it. Happy stitching!

Brown Family said...

Very nice shop. I have used Soft Fuse before. I really like it. I have never liked Heat n Bond

Kate said...

Looks like a nice little shop. I really like both the fabrics you picked up during your visit. The flamingos are looking lovely too.

quiltzyx said...

Lovely shop with a bit of everything there. Love both of the fabrics you took home with you too.