6/26/18

A Dull Girl

All work and no play...well, you know how that goes. However, we did complete our move from old RV to new RV. On my way home from the doctor's office yesterday, I stopped off at The Container Store and picked up a few bins and drawer dividers to keep things a little better organized. When I got home and put that stuff away, our move was complete. Phew! What a job!

Now we both want to go somewhere, but we're still waiting for installation of the catio window. That won't happen until the end of July, and we have a trip planned for August. We're also planning a trip to the lake in July, but we'll use the truck camper for that. Summer doesn't last nearly long enough. does it?

So, all of that to say that there was, again, no time for sewing. I'm determined to fit in some time today. But don't think I haven't been making my sourdough starters do their work in all of this. Oh, no. They've been working hard. Take a look at this one.


I used the pour-off from my latest feeding to get ready to bake two loaves of Artisan Sourdough Bread. It's one I've made a couple of times before. This is my third try on this, and the dough has been different each time. The first try, it was very dry. Second time, it was the consistency of jello. I mixed up the ingredients last night, and they sat at room temperature overnight. This morning my first task of the day...even before coffee, if you can imagine such a travesty...was to stretch, fold, and load them into proofing baskets. Here's where I left them. And, yes, that is a huge mess on my counter just behind. I intentionally left it out of the picture to avoid upsetting you. You're welcome.


When Mike came downstairs this morning, I was still cleaning up all the flour. He asked, "Did you make a mess?" And I said, "I've been doing bread things, so, yes." Silly man. It is not possible to do "bread things" without making a huge mess.

In my ongoing quest to make Swiss chard palatable, I tried a new recipe for dinner last night, and whoa. I think I've found it. These are Swiss Chard, Onion, and Monterey Jack-Filled Vegetarian Enchiladas in Tomatillo Salsa. Looks good, huh?


They were a bit of a production to make, but not really hands-on work. The blender and two pans were dirtied, and then the baking dish they were baked in. Mainly, it was a lot of chopping and waiting because the sauce is made from scratch, and then the filling is made separately. It wasn't too bad, but you do need to give yourself plenty of time to put it all together. I've linked to the recipe up there, and it was easy enough to follow. I used veggie stock made last year from the trimmings of our CSA veggies.


We polished off half of what I'd made, and there will be enough for another meal. I made some Spanish rice to go with it. I'd definitely make this again, and since we get ample shares of Swiss Chard from our farmers, I expect I'll even make it again before summer is over.

So, nothing going on in the sewing room, but plenty going on in the kitchen. As I mentioned, I have bread dough proofing downstairs, and I'll bake that sometime this morning. There is grocery shopping to do, housework to catch up on, and laundry has piled up. Never a dull moment...except that all of those things are dull...so maybe always a dull moment might be more accurate. Still, I'm determined to find time for some sewing today. Fingers crossed.

4 comments:

crazy quilter said...

Wow that bread looks so good. Yes the mess is very worh it! Swiss chard I don’t believe we have ever crossed paths.
But the enchilada look vwry pretty good to know they were also tasty . You will get to the sewing room soon
I am sure if it, life does sometimes get in the way of fun. I have the same problem with work getting in the way of things I cannot ish to accomplish as well, as they say, such is life. Keep on having fun! Love reading your musings.

WoolenSails said...

Summer sure is going by fast, but I love camping off season too, better sites and less people.
That dishes looks so delicious, wish I could eat that. I need to start trying some new recipes, with my diet and Bills heart diet, we are limited on things I usually eat, so time to come up with some new things.

Debbie

piecefulwendy said...

Oh yum, those enchiladas do look good. I don't know that I've ever tasted swiss chard. I do know that it was one of my dad's favorite things to eat during the summer. I think my mom creamed it or something. Boy, that sourdough starter is up and running! With all your bread baking, you're giving me the yen to try some again. It's been quite awhile since I've made bread, but I used to love it.

quiltzyx said...

I can't imagine doing 'bread stuff' and NOT making a mess! But your breads always look so worth it. :)

I had to look up Swiss Chard. I had the vague idea that it was a lettuce-y thing, so guess I was pretty close. The enchiladas look wonderful & the onions on top are easy enough for me to transfer onto your plate...