5/26/18

Home Stretch

Yesterday's quilting took me to the tippy top of the Quiltmaker's Garden. The sections between the red and green lines passed under my needle over the course of the sewing day.


All that's left now are the blue sky flowers at the top. Each of those blocks will be quilted individually, and I know just what to do. Barring any earthquakes, floods, or fires, I think the quilting might be finished today. My liberation is near!

When I had it that far, I yanked it off the machine to look at it, and make sure I wasn't missing anything. It was hard to decide how to quilt the roof of the gazebo. I settled on a ferny feathering motif for the diagonal portions.



It seemed to me the solid portions of the roof were just bigger Greek key areas, consistent with the Greek keys in the upright areas.


And more at the gazebo top.


Then I flipped it over to check the back. This is the side with the appliqued vine.


Here's the other side where some of the paper-pieced flowers appear.


It's all looking surprisingly good to my eye. I like how those ferny feathers turned out.

It seemed a reward was in order, and so I baked our annual Apricot-Cherry Upside Down Mini Cakes. Once per year, when apricots and cherries are in the grocery store at the same time, we get this little treat. The recipe is from Cooking Light, and so it's a relatively low fat, low calorie option. Oh yes, and it tastes so good. Don't you just love a good upside down cake?


So, I'm looking forward to getting back at the quilting this afternoon, and hoping to have it finished before day's end.

This morning, I'm going to the Beaverton Farmer's Market with Erik and Mae. If I can find some good-sized strawberries (read that: large enough to cut the seeds off the sides), I might buy a half flat and make some strawberry ice cream. The Oregon berries should be hitting the shelves pretty soon. After that...quilting, quilting, quilting. "Determination" is my watchword today.

7 comments:

allthingzsewn said...

What happened to.... I'm going to finish in June? But you'll be glad you finished. Have a happy holiday weekend. How about shippin me a desert?

Lyndsey said...

Well done with all the quilting, it all looks fabulous (back and front). I knew you wouldn't put it off till June, so close to the finish no quilt is going to get the better of you. I looked at the recipe for that delicious looking dessert and I feel I might have to make it later this week.

Shirley said...

The quilting is just wonderful! Love each area that you have shown and you are so close to BEING DONE. When looking at the back and seeing how densely it is quilted, it explains why this has taken more time. The end result is certainly worth it though.

Anonymous said...

The quilting on the back-side is amazing to see. "Determination" is a terrific word for this quilting weekend. Congratulations on the progress you have made - you're nearing the end goal!

SJSM said...

After you first .published that apricot/cherry cake, I did make it. It is so good that I look forward to the season to make it. I had forgotten it is a cooking Light recipe. My apricots and cherries are in the kitchen waiting for me to begin.

Your task is almost done on the quilt. Determinationis is your personality trait. You will get any task you set your mind on done. That is one of the reasons that makes your blog so inspiring. I’m hoping just to get on my sewing room today. It has called me for a week or so to actually sew and not putz.

piecefulwendy said...

Well, I know how it all turned out, thanks to Instagram, so I am happy dancing for you today! Put the coffee on and whip up a couple more of those desserts. I'll come help you celebrate! Actually, I may need to try that dessert. John is a huge cherry fan, so he would love them I think.

Brown Family said...

THe upside down cakes look yummy!! I am sure you are finished with the quilt by now!