5/3/18

Habitual Slug

Sue and I had a beautiful day for our walk yesterday. We started with oatmeal, but at a different restaurant from our usual. We were seated pond-side and could see some Canada geese with their goslings across the way. When we set out on our walk, we decided to see if we could catch up to them. I swear the goslings had grown by the time we reached them.


I'm in the habit of talking to every animal I see, and I was trying to reassure the geese that I meant their goslings no harm. You can see what they thought of my assurances. They hopped in the water and swam off, watching us as they went. One can only imagine what they were saying to one another.

It was a lovely day. It's been gray and cloudy for the last week or so, but the weather was warm enough I could be out without my sweatshirt.


Along the way we saw the most beautiful blooming things. I don't know the names of most of these.


Pretty red azaleas. At our elevation, we're about a week behind the valley in terms of blooming things. Our azaleas are just getting started, but these were in full bloom.


There were lots of wild roses.


Here's a pretty clematis. We had one of these at our previous home.


Dianthus. I planted some of these in one of our outdoor pots.


Don't know this one...it was really not yet open.


This is a flowering currant. We have a red variety growing wild at the edge of our woods. This one was a lighter shade of pink.


What is this? Mustard? The bees liked it.


So, it was a good walk. I stopped off for a couple of ready-made items at a local grocery store. With Mike gone (and Matthew gone a good part of the time), I haven't been cooking much beyond eggs. Like I said in an earlier post, I'm unaccountably useless these days...even to myself. So, I stopped off and picked up some ready-made stuff just for some variety, and then I headed for home. These days, I ice my knees whether I think I need to or not. Then, I tipped back in my chair and took a nap. This whole slug thing is getting to be a habit. For the rest of the day, I did absolutely nothing.

Today I'll be outside doing the last of the weeding...although at this point, I need to go back to the areas I've already done. Some of the smaller things I missed first time around are making a comeback. Mike made it to the western border of Illinois yesterday, and I expect he's crossed into Iowa as I write this. Nothing was resolved about the roof, and Mike was rather unhappy with what passed for "customer service" there at the factory. In any case, his concerns are documented, and we'll just put it out of our minds for now. That means he's on his way home, and he's aiming for a Saturday arrival. I told him not to rush it, but I expect he'll be home either Saturday or Sunday. It will be good to have him home, and I'm absolutely dying to see the new RV.

6 comments:

Brown Family said...

Those are beautiful blooming things. And the Canada geese are probably saying, ' Look at those two love American Ladies! Children, you must avoid these Bipeds at all costs '

We had great thunderstorms this morning. I had sat my trailing Verbena on the porch and the wind dumped it into the flowerbed. It got a good soaking but was unharmed!

WoolenSails said...

Beautiful place for a walk. I need to get out, haven't seen any babies yet, so I will have to visit places where they are.

Debbie

Kate said...

Glad you had a sunny day for your walk. It's easy to walk when there are so many blooming things to look at. Wishing Mike a speedy trip home. Enjoy your slug-attude till then.

QuiltGranma said...

I THINK the first flower is mock orange. Next time go by and smell the flower, that will tell you for sure. If really fragrant it likely is. Perhaps you spotted two families of geese, and walked nearest the slightly more adult baby group? I understand the feeling of being a slug, just sliming from one place to the next and not getting much done but eat and slither! I'm the same way when hubby goes somewhere.

Sarah said...

I’m amazed how far ahead your blooming things are than ours. The tulips are just opening, the trees are just turning that glorious bright spring green and the day lilies have grown 4” in 2 days. That’s it here at Casa Grande. Soooo looking forward to every blooming thing in these here parts! Happy Cinco de Mayo! I’m off to a local winery to try their Mexican sangria.

quiltzyx said...

Love the photo of the geese in the pond with the ripples around them. I talk to the animals I'm around too, even when I'm in the car! LOL Glad you had such a lovely day for your walk. Of course here in SoCal we went from a high of 57 on Tuesday to being in the 90s on Friday! Ugh. Not a fan of the heat at all. Supposedly only going to be in the high 80s today.
Too bad about Mike's experience at the RV manufacturer. Hopefully the place in Oregon with do better.