Fast and Fearless

This morning's post will have to be short. My class is going well, and I'm having fun. Ordinarily I'd write a post about the process we're going through to create our quilts. Since this is my third time taking the class, I'm just going to direct you to read my post about the first day of my first class when I made the Seating for Two quilt. You can find it right here. The first day of that class was downright painful, and it's reflected in my blog post written at day's end. Fortunately, the next day went better or I might have packed up my things and gone home. Just click on "newer post" to continue through the sequence of posts from that class. When I returned to take the class a second time, things were considerably easier, and you can read that sequence of posts beginning right here.

So let's fast forward to this morning, and I'm not going to rewrite history by going through the whole process again. I'll just say that I'm off to a good(?) start on drawing my pattern. Late in the day yesterday afternoon, I posted this image to Facebook.

It seemed to me I was just about finished, but then Ann checked my drawing. She thought the sections for the birds' necks were a little "blocky" and so she drew in a few more lines and made some suggestions. By the time I packed up my things for the day, my drawing looked like this:

Clear as mud, right? Good grief. I'm not even sure I can pick the birds out of that mess. Still, I have to say, looking at it as I'm writing this, it doesn't look as bad as my mind recalled it in the middle of the night last night. I laid awake for a couple of hours. If I'd had my rulers, my mechanical pencil, and my black pearl eraser, I might have gotten out of bed and started over.

All of that to say, my image is more difficult to work with than I'd imagined, but I'm sticking with it. And all of that to say that I'm going to stop here so I can get to class early. I might yet decide to start over with my drawing, but I hate falling behind. Possibly this one can be salvaged, but I want to get to class early and talk to Ann about it.

Things are going well, and I'm having fun...don't misunderstand my nightmarish drawing to mean I'm having a hard time with this. It's a challenge, and there's nothing wrong with that. Hopefully, I can get it to the fabric stage today, but I'm not placing any wagers on it.

I might end up taking a couple of days off from blogging. The last two times I took this class, I stayed in Vancouver instead of driving home each night. This time, I wanted to save some money, and so I'm driving home at the end of each day. The traffic is horrendous, and so the time I might spend blogging is going to be taken up by driving. I'll check in when I can. For now...I'm hoping you can amuse yourselves with my posts from classes gone by.

4 comments from clever and witty friends:

WoolenSails said...

I don't envy you on that one, lol. I hope you can figure it out so you are happy with the final result and have fun working on it.


SJSM said...

I understand traffic is a nightmare going through Portland and crossing the bridges. Are weekends the same? I do not envy that commute. And yes, when I look at that drawing and see all those itty bitty pieces my heart stops just thinking of reading the number you will put in each one and keeping it oriented correctly and THEN you have to sew that tiny scrap of cloth. If I was trying this I’d lose several of the pieces just cutting the paper. I’m sure you can do anything you put your mind to and will make this a remarkable piece.

I’m looking forward to seeing how you will conquer this project.

piecefulwendy said...

I can see where this is going to be a bit of a challenge, but kinda fun, right? I assume you will vary the fabrics for the bodies of the birds? Will be interesting to see if this is a go or not. Sorry you have to drive through that traffic. Yuck. Anyway, enjoy the class!

Brown Family said...

We all need to challenge ourselves every now and then!