4/30/18

Unaccountably Useless

You might think I'm about to say something about government with that title, but no. Today I'll give you a rest from my incessant political posts. I know...it's just a barrage of fake news around here. But here's something real...it's a cat out standing in her field.


It's kind of unusual to see her out and visible like this. Usually, she goes out the door, and I don't see her until she comes back in again. She must have had a gopher or a mouse cornered there. Smitty kept watch from the patio. If you look closely at the image below, you'll notice a few things.


For one thing...tractor man needs to get his sorry self back here from South Carolina and mow the field. Secondly, gardener woman needs to get out and finish pulling the weeds. Thirdly, you can see the huge crack in that pot sitting there next to the Gracie Memorial Catnip Garden. I have geraniums to plant there, but the pot kind of disintegrated. Matthew and I tried to turn it around to have the crack face the other way. I figured I could get another year out of it if we turned it around. What we can't see won't bother us, right? And that turned out to be a big mistake. You can see the crack. What you can't see is the three-inch space where it separated on the far side. Oh well. Nothing ventured...Finally, and this bugs the blue jays more than anything...the peanut feeder is empty there on the left. The blue jays will empty the feeder in about half an hour, and so I dole the peanuts out sparingly. It's surprising how expensive unshelled peanuts are.

So once Smitty got over his disapproving glare of everything that needs doing outside, I caught him in a more reflective mood lying on his kitty pole inside. Probably he's wondering why I don't wash the windows so his view is better.


Did I show you this picture of the bleeding heart already? It's one of my favorite things in the garden, so here it is again.


And that brings me to the unaccountable part of this post. I've rediscovered something I've always known about myself. I'm much less productive when there's no one around watching. Not that anyone is ever watching, but somehow I feel less lazy when there are other eyes on me.

Matthew has been living here in the house since before we left on our trip, and he's still here. He's had a frustratingly difficult time finding a place he wants to live. He and I managed to polish off the whole loaf of bread in two days. Already, I have another loaf rising in the kitchen as I write. But to get back to the unaccountability, he isn't around much, and so no one really cares what I do. Not even me, apparently.

Yesterday, I did get my housework done, but then I did practically nothing the rest of the day. Certainly I took a nap because nothing tires me out more than doing almost nothing at all. I'm very delicate that way. Late in the afternoon I did a little bit of work on the Gingerbread Village piece. This will be a small quilt when it's finished at 16 inches square. Still, it's a mess of colors and angles, and it's distracting and tedious working on it. When I made the Happy Village two years ago, I noted that it was best done in quadrants, and so I started on the southeast quadrant yesterday.


The remainder is kept covered with rulers because, you know...furry feet. When I left it for the day, I covered the whole thing. Today I'll work on the southwest side, and then I'll do something else. It's good to keep fresh eyes while working on these. As I look at the image above, I can already see a few places where I'd like to add some trees and chimneys. Eventually, I'll quilt in some details.

After that, I was completely worthless. I thought a lot about things I could do...start the quilting on Quiltmaker's Garden, for example. It's been sandwiched and folded for a full year, and so when I opened it up, it had deep fold lines in it. I decided to drape it over my sewing chair and let it relax for a day or two before I start on it.


Sadie thinks it makes an excellent kitty fort.


Also, I considered doing the next block for the Chicken Buffet quilt. The next one is Chicken Chow Mein. Here's the image from the book.


I only got as far as making a copy of the applique pieces, and then I put it aside again. Maybe I'll get started on that today.

So when all other sewing ideas fail, there's always slow stitching..."slow" being the operative word in that sentence. I finished up the current hoop.


Now there's just a little bit left to do. I should be able to finish this today while I wait on the bread to rise.


If there's time this afternoon, I might head down to the fabric store to get the burgundy I'm after for the Wine Country quilt. And if not...who knows what I'll do? Certainly not me.

When I spoke with Mike this morning, he was at the RV dealership. They'd already taken care of the wiring problem he discovered. As for the roof problem, I don't know what's going to happen there, but the dealership agreed that the roof needed to be redone. He'll either take it to Indiana where it was manufactured to be repaired on the way home, or he'll negotiate to have it done at a place he likes here in Oregon. (If it were up to me, he'd have it done in Oregon.) I'm hoping he'll call and let me know he's heading for home later today. Because, honestly, the place may fall down around our ears if someone doesn't get back here and start cracking the whip. (No whips will be involved.)

13 comments:

QUILTING IS BLISSFUL, DI said...

thanks for such a cute, quirky, honest post--it make me smile and I needed a smile today!!! and it is ok to have an off day with sewing--you are always pushing yourself that reading what you did in a day can tire me out--so I am so happy to hear that you 'chilled' for awhile!!!
enjoy, di

Brandy said...

So, I completely understand about how doing nothing is exhausting. I think the fact that you wrote a blog post is pretty impressive, I got on my blog today to realize my last post was in October, yikes! Although, since I am not consistent it often takes me three+ hours to get a post done so I find that exhausting as well LOL! I think Sadie has the right idea, build a quilt fort and take a nap.

~Brandy

Quilting Babcia said...

Boy, I know exactly what you mean about feeling useless and how exhausting it is. I had 9 hours of being totally alone yesterday since I can't travel long distances right now, and it feels like I completely wasted the time, though there was some mindless stitching involved. I guess we need those down times occasionally to really appreciate the productive days.

gpc said...

Oh yeah, baby, you have discovered the secret to my Slack. Imagine a whole life of that, living alone with my judgey eyes to interfere with my nothing-doing. Welcome to my world. But you are just a wannabee, if you don't mind my saying so. You get SO much done. I am glad that Mike had a good long time for figure out the kinks in the new ride so they can be addressed quickly. I am never smart that way.

Vroomans' Quilts said...

I have been a slug today - snow, rain, cold (exhausted from the weekend)- even the furkids have napped all day! Hopefully tomorrow will be productive for me. Windows? We are suppose to clean those? I have too many and they are heavy - a two person job so have to wait for some poor sap to con into helping with that one.

Annette Mandel said...

Does Mike read your blog? You may be giving him ideas...

crazy quilter said...

I have the exact same feelings about being useless some days. I think we all need a few of these days to recharge the batteries as they say. I don't know who they actually are but I think they are on to something. I need to get motivated to get the rest of the unpacking done from the move and then I have to get into the sewing room again. I do miss it. Hope your bread is wonderful, as I know it will be. You are an inspiration on the baking and sewing front. One of these days I might even make some bread. No doubt I will use one your recommended recipes as failure the first time out would be so deflating.. Hope you have a wonderful day.

Muis said...

Forgive my grammaršŸ¤¦...... I want to know more of your thought process in doing the Gingerbread mini....is it just the different Happy Village pieces cut in "gingerbread-like" colours? I would love to see how you decide where to put the pieces. Will you be sharing more pictures as you go along, please? Thanks for your interesting essays....it is a delight to read. Take care, Cala in ZA

SJSM said...

It sounds as if your do-nothing day actually had more in it than you think. Dinking around with the Village, perusing your back 40, getting Chicken Buffet organized, getting the Quilt Garden ready for quilting, some slow stitching and the next bread making process. You also took time to write a blog post for which I am grateful. My day always starts better when I see you have posted.

kc said...

Oh, Lordy, woman, you are more productive on your slack days than I am in my most productive mode! Here I sit, halfway through the day. So far, I've....ummm....made blueberry pancakes, eaten them, cleaned up the kitchen, read the paper, and umm....read your blog! HALFWAY THROUGH THE DAY NOW! Oh, I did do a few minutes of PT on the ole arm. So, there's that.

I did contemplate a requested embroidered pillowsham. But then math got in the way, so I gave up on that until my own RE can assist. He's out playing pool boy at the moment, trying to get rid of winter detritus from the solar blanket. That involves my porch begonia and a lot of interesting language, so I try to keep out of the way, seeing as it's my begonia that causes a lot of the detritus in the first place.

Factory trips are always such a hoot, but from our experience, the technicians there are pretty good, and they're paid by salary, not by job, so they don't rush through it as much as the dealer techs seem to. Plus, there's a bit more accountability up there, so they take a little more pride in their work. At least the ones at REVGroup seemed to. The added bonus is that Ind is beginning to warm up some now, so he won't have to contend with weather issues, if he goes up that way. However, you may have to watch the grass grow another day or 3 I suppose.

I see what you mean now, about how all those fiddly pieces fit. If I had a hat, I'd certainly doff it to ya! That is waaaaay beyond my patience or skill level. My eyes twist just at the thought of laying that all out! I can see why you'd keep it covered, 'cuz it would only take one good pounce, and I bet you never get only ONE good pounce!

Your chickens are much prettier than the book's pictures - probably due to your impeccable color choices. Stay the course! :)

Kate said...

You've made a good start on the Christmas village and got some hand stitching done. You have bread rising, took the kitties outside. No wonder you needed a nap!

Brown Family said...

Our Grandson came down the alley and mowed our Jungle Saturday.He was working off a week of grounding! Then he and his little brother helped me get the onions set out.They both did a great job!

I have had days like that! I have to take a nap to rest from the nap I just woke up from!

quiltzyx said...

To me it sounds like you were all fairly productive today - the cats keeping the homefront safe from critters and look at all the fabric-y stuff you did, even while not doing "much". I am so looking forward to when I can get measured for new glasses! I am going to attempt some rotary cutting today (during switchboard duty) on some postcards. The sticky postcard backs I got are a bit larger than my postcard-size photo prints. Cutting those edges with scissors was not a fun chore. Wish me luck!