4/3/18

Passing for Normal

We're pretty much set back to right again here at the Three Cats Ranch. When we left to have breakfast with the boys yesterday morning, this was happening. It was coming down in great fat flakes. Oy. Hello to April in Oregon.


We didn't expect it to be around for long since the forecast was for a high in the mid-fifties. Not warm, mind you, but too warm for snow. While we were gone we went grocery shopping, restored the stock of birdseed, picked up some medications, and ran some other errands. By the time we got home around noon, the snow was history.

It was time to release the herd. These two are thick as thieves when they are outside. Smitty has been out a few times already, but he's been sitting at the glass door waiting for the day when Sadie can come out with him. Finally...it has arrived.


She's been a perfect little lady too. She comes when we call her, and she allows us to approach and pet her. It seems all is right in her little world.


Smitty, being the big brother cat, keeps a watchful eye on her.


She's just sniffing the daffodils,


and enjoying her freedom at long last. Pause here for just a moment to admire the size of the weeds in the garden. Yeah...hopefully, I'll get at those sometime today.


Yesterday I had my sites set on my sewing room organization, and I got it all done thanks to the help of my little friend.

Um...you're kind of right in the middle of my workspace there.

Oh, don't mind me. I just have a little purrsonal hygiene to take care of. Please...carry on with what you were doing.


Well, see, that's the problem. You're right in the middle of things there.

Talk to the paw.


With no small amount of encouragement, I got her to move into her little kitty corral. Some people think of this as a bed, but we use it as a boundary marker. Do not step out of this circle, little lady.

Okay, but I think you could do this a lot faster if you purrmitted me to help you.


It took the whole afternoon, but by day's end, I had all my fabric stored into yardage bins. I needed to add two more to the row below to fit everything, but now there's actually some breathing room in some of the drawers. Those little ones on top contain my smallest little snips of fabric. Behind me are my scrap bins and fat quarter drawers. Yes, I think I could open my own quilt shop at this point.


Also, I've cut swatches of all the regional fabrics. A few are a larger scale and so I left them a little larger. Yes, those are Smitty's toes. He used them to help me count out my prints. There are 62 by my count, which is a good number. I can leave some of the larger scale prints doubled in size and cut the rest to 8 inches (unfinished). Then I'll set them 8 x 8 in a sort of I-Spy fashion.


You might recall I picked up this fabric while we were in Boulder City last spring. It'll be perfect for a border or a backing.


I have in mind to use this map fabric to sash the blocks. Also, I've figured out how to make the strips for embroidering names of shops and locations that won't waste a lot of fabric. This will all be revealed to you at some point in the future. For now, I'm just deciding on fabrics.


Originally, I had this fabric as a potential back or border. I still think I might use it for a backing, but I'll have to see how it all goes.


Also, I've named this project "Shop Hop." And hey...with the name chosen, it's practically halfway finished, wouldn't you agree?

This morning I fed my sourdough starters. They were frozen while we were gone. I got them out of the freezer a couple of days ago and thawed them in the fridge. Now I've fed them, and I hope they'll wake up. I'm feeling a powerful urge to bake some bread, but that will have to wait a day or two. For now, I'll just be reminding the starters of their reason for existence.


Finally, I got back to my stitching this morning and finished off the latest Snow Globes block. This one is called "Snow." Seems appropriate, doesn't it?


Today I'm getting an urgently needed haircut and a perm. No one has touched my hair since I visited my hairdresser in August of last summer. Yikes. What a mess, and it's driving me absolutely insane...in case you hadn't already noticed. The sun is shining this morning, and I'm hopeful it will last until I get home this afternoon and can take time to pull some weeds.

12 comments:

Lyndsey said...

Your fabric all looks very organised and if you did open as a shop (and you do have a lovely lot of fabric) I'll be there as I know you have looks of pieces that I really like. It's really good that Sadie is behaving so well outside, she really does seem to be enjoying the freedom.

QuiltShopGal said...

I'm impressed how fast you settle back in. The cats certainly look very happy to be back. And, your stash looks so organized. Enjoy home!

works4me said...

Welcome home! :) It seems as though things are a lot more "normal" quicker than one would expect after being gone so long.

So glad the kitties seem to be back into their routine. I wonder how long Sadie will be good. Maybe Smitty has given her a good talking to.

Your fabric is so well organized. It's great that everything is so visible. I just bought a bunch of medium sized clear totes and am re-sorting my fabric for them. One tote, which is already getting tight, is strictly ombres. Another is water related. I can't wait until I can devote more time to sewing and quilting, although I doubt the stash will go down significantly. lol

Nancy said...

Nice that you were able to settle in so quickly. I hope you will be able to get in the yard this afternoon. My phone says we will be having rain back in the forecast starting later tonight for the next eight days. That should give you some days to sew and bake.

QUILTING IS BLISSFUL, DI said...

I am so glad that Sadie has gotten to go out and be with big brother--and that big brother keeps a good eye on him!!
and they are such big helpers in the quilt room--bet they are just over joyed to be home and have lots of places to run and hide--oh how is the 'mouse' problem--did they find it???
and it looks like you got yourself a sewing plan--and I like the newest snow globe--
enjoy, di

quiltzyx said...

You are such an overachiever! LOL Your stash looks like it is enjoying its organization, even if Sadie didn't get to help much.

Hooray for Smitty AND Sadie getting to enjoy the Great Outdoors, and that Miss Sadie is being more responsible and social.

The SNOW globe is too cute!

Hope the sourdough starter does wake up for you. :)

Vroomans' Quilts said...

Great organization with your fabrics. I like those drawer units and may switch out my open shelving for something like that - once it is all move upstairs. Sadie is probably towing the line as she might think she'll get closed up in that 'moving house' for many months again. Smitty is a great big bro.

piecefulwendy said...

Oh my, your fabric is so orderly and neat! I enjoyed the peek into your sewing space. So good to see the two kitties out exploring and enjoying their space. We just got another 5 inches of snow here yesterday. So ready for Spring! I look forward to seeing your Shop Hop quilt and all those regional fabrics!

SJSM said...

I was wondering if you cut your hair while traveling. Now I know. You inspire me to get more things done. Seeing you sewing room organized reminds me to put away my fabric purchased in the last month. But really I need to sew up a few of my projects cut out and ready to go. That will make space for the fabric I have not put away. Oh, I need to make a standing appointment in the sewing room as I do for all of the volunteer work I do. Setting priorities for myself is needed. Exercise time is getting regular so that is good.
Glad to see the kit-cats are happy at home. Hope that mouse has hit the road or met the terminator.

Linda said...

Lol on "talk to the paw"!
Did you create your own starter? If so do you have a recipe? I have tried starter so many times with rare successes.

Kate said...

That didn't take you too long to get things back to normal. Talk to the paw? Hmm Sadie can sass can't she? Hope things are settling down and back into a routine. After being gone for so long, do you think you and Mike will start to miss the excitement of being on the road.

Brown Family said...

Sadie seems to be enjoying the freedom! Smitty is a very good big brother! It feels good to get the sewing room straight and organized! Now on to sewing!