3/4/18

A Sewing Day

We brought the rain to Hemet when we came...it never fails. I know these folks are happy for the moisture, and so we aren't complaining...much. Mike still had a few things to do in town, and so it was a good day for me to set up the sewing machine. My goal was to make a fabric postcard for my exchange partner.


I'm fairly certain my partner doesn't read my blog, and in any case, I'm not going to give you any identifying information for now.

This is an exchange organized by Elm Street Quilts. There is a tutorial provided right here. As I mentioned in an earlier post, we were to provide a prompt for our exchange partner to use in creating our postcard. My partner's prompt was "Irish." The first step for me was to attempt to cut an applique shamrock. I found one online that combined the shamrock with a sort of celtic knot design, and so I gave that a try.


It didn't work very well because I didn't have a good sharp pair of scissors to work with. Still, I thought I could pull it off until I started top-stitching. Those were tight little curves and so I shortened my stitch length significantly. The fabric just frayed apart wherever the needle hit, and so that didn't work at all. Next, I went with Plan B.

Plan B was to do a straight applique, and that worked better. Still, I'm not as practiced with my travel machine as I am with Big Bertha back home, and so the buttonhole stitch top-stitching isn't done as well as I'd like. Also, I was so engrossed in the project that I neglected to take any pictures until it was finished.


My desired stitch for the outer edge was an overlock stitch, but none of the overlock stitches on my machine were going to work very well. I ended up using a closely spaced zig-zag stitch. On the back, we were to write a message. As I said, I've blotted out any identifying information.


Mine was designed to appear as if it has gone through the mail, but I'll be using an envelope to mail it to my partner. At first, I didn't like the way this hand lettering looked, but it kind of grew on me. It achieved the goal of looking as if it came through the mail. The only thing missing are the spilled coffee smudges. (Don't you think the postal workers probably read every postcard? I don't really, but it brings an image to mind...kind of like telephone operators listening in on telephone conversations back then we had "switchboards.")


So, it was a little frustrating to make it, and harder than it looks. But it's finished, and I'm happy with it. I hope my partner likes it. You can see postcards that have been mailed and received at this hashtag right here. #esqpostcardswap There are a couple of cat ones there...I wonder if one of them is for me. Mine will be going to Erik and Mae back home, and so I won't see it until we get there. I've asked Mae to take a photo for me and to send along the identifying information so that I can post it and participate in the upcoming "Postcard Parade." This has been a very fun project, and so my thanks go to Elm Street Quilts for organizing it. Also, that was my goal for this month's


and so I'll be linking up at the finish party.

That's probably the last machine sewing I'll do before we head for home. The only projects I have along with me are applique projects, and I found it difficult to do the applique top-stitching without the knee lift feature of my sewing machine back home. I finished the two big projects I wanted to finish during our travels, namely, completing the quilt top for Hocuspocusville:


Weirdly, I searched and searched on the blog for when I posted the image of this finished quilt top. I found where I posted it without the final border, but this might be the first time I've shown you the completed top, border and all. Man, I'm getting even older than I thought. How could I have missed that?

Also, the Solstice Challenge quilt top:


Both were large quilts, and I'll be sandwiching and quilting them when we get home. My other finish was this little mini quilt for the kitties:


This was from a mini block challenge by Temecula Quilt Company and it was pieced together and then quilted while we've been traveling. Now it belongs to the kitties. And this gives me a perfect opportunity to say that the Temecula Quilt Company quilt shop is on the agenda for our stay here in Hemet. We're meeting some friends in Temecula today, but the quilt shop won't be open on a Sunday. We'll do that another day. It's important to pace yourself, you know? Today we'll visit some wineries and walk around in "old town" Temecula. The weather has improved, and so it'll be a nice day for it.

Yesterday Mike and I agreed that one of the things this time in Hemet will give us is some time to settle into a routine. It's one of the things that makes traveling stressful...not being in any kind of a routine, and no prospects for it. After traveling for 7 months, we're both craving something that approximates a rut we can fall into. We're not there yet, but we're hoping we'll achieve it sometime next week when all the errands have been run, all the laundry is caught up, and things settle down a little bit.

15 comments:

Debbie said...

Love the post card....simple is best. And yes, postal workers read the post cards. I know because I worked at a temp in the PO while in college. 7 months....a long time to travel and the routine part of me would be crazy to just stay still for a while. I would be longing for home.

QuiltShopGal said...

Thanks for bringing the much needed rain. Looks like you had a great sewing day. Beautiful projects. Have fun in Temecula with your friends.

Cheryl's Teapots2Quilting said...

I wanted to participate in the postcard exchange, but, I figured I would run out of time. Good thing, since we had to extend our trip by a week. Nice quilt tops. Enjoy your last month in the RV. Glad Smitty got to get back out again.

gpc said...

I love a good rut.

quiltzyx said...

You've gotten quite a bit of sewing down while on the road! Congratulations. I've not down any - was going to make some fabric buckets for my sister for her b'day, but since my cataract has made my vision fuzzier, I changed & made her a big crocheted happy bowl bucket. Looks like surgery may be coming up in April, hooray!

Enjoy finding your rut!!

WoolenSails said...

Wonderful postcard and I am sure she will love it. You did get a lot done while traveling, both are beautiful quilts and will be nice when you can use them at home.

Debbie

Anne Kirby said...

Yay for routine! I hope your hand is much better and your shitty kitty is behaving himself. I can't believe we have been travelling with you guys for 7 months! You kept me going thru the winter (ugh it's Monday again but I can catch up with Barb today!) Hope you have a great time in Temecula!!

Natureluvr57 said...

Wow...7 months, time has really flown by. I've enjoyed traveling with you guys because I'll probably never get to travel. I've also been binging on You Tubes Quilt Roadies. They're from Sisters, Oregon and travel in their RV with their dog. So far they have been traveling mostly to the Pacific NW. Love some of those quilt shops they show. I also watch Flosstube because I've started cross stitching again. I rarely watch plain old tv or cable tv anymore. Just not much I care to see. Safe traveling back home.

Brown Family said...

I see why you changed up the postcard. I is harder to applique little twists and turns when you do not have a knee lift!

kc said...

Love what the card you did, fits perfectly, and love the kitty with the rotary cutter - that is SOOOO YOU!! First time I've been by in a while, glad you are gonna stick around a few days.

We are planning our excursions for 2019 now...looks like we'll start in Hot-Lanta (area). We both want to hit up our first National Square Dance Convention, and that looks as close as any that we might get. After that, who knows, but Arizona is calling...as is TX. With any luck, we'll get the house sold by then (well, yeah, we'll have to finish painting the fence, rehabbing the flower beds, update the carpet, replace the barn door, paint the front door and put new hardware, clean the screens, oh my gosh, what am I doing sitting here reading your blog! I'd better get going! :) I have a quilt to finish up before I can even begin any of that housework stuff! And dance is tomorrow, so I need to make a goodie! Strawberries are beautifully ripe and sweet here now, so I'm thinking a vanilla cake with strawberry-cream cheese buttercream icing. And my PT ladies want Snickerdoodles. I've gotta go! My rut is overflowing! Hugs!!!

Anonymous said...

Love the postcard!

Makes me laugh...another commenter says that postal workers read the post cards. I am a postal worker, have been for many years now, and I don't read the cards. I've never seen any of my co-workers read them, either. We don't have the time.

I did participate in the exchange, and it has been fun to see all of the different cards! I am also hoping that my recipient loves her card. :)

Liz Horgan said...

I'm so excited because I think this could be my postcard!!
I love it!

Liz Horgan said...

Barbara--thanks for the beautiful post card-it arrived on Saturday. I love it and it's just in time for St. Patrick's Day!
I should be able to get it posted on Instagram this week.
Thanks again!

Patty said...

Great postcard and I'm glad you were in the exchange! Thanks for linking up with Elm Street Quilts One Monthly Goal and congrats on your finish!

Sharon - IN said...

Nice post card! I passed on joining in this time around, hope to see more from those of you who did participate.