1/2/18

A One-Day Streak

One day down in the New Year, and I've finished a quilt top. At this rate, I'll finish 365 quilts this year! (As if.) So, yeah...outer border on, and this top is finished. My human quilt rack's wing span isn't quite wide enough to get a good picture, but you get the idea.


Of course, I owe this finished to my excellent sewing helpers. Miss Sadie would like to wish you a very Happy New Year.


Mr. Smitty stayed up too late partying on New Year's Eve.


Once I had the top done, I took some time to remake this block from last year's Solstice Challenge. If you'll recall, my blocks all commemorated some event during the week they were released. This was the block for week 5, which happened to fall over the Martin Luther King holiday. My block honored him. Block #5 was called Gramma Anna's Basket.

I knew a while ago that I was going to have to take this block apart and remake it. When I made it originally, I neglected to trim the half square triangles before sewing the whole thing together. (Duh.) As you might guess, things didn't work at all. It had a lot of pleats and tucks and ruffles and I don't know what else, but it was kind of a mess. It was only later I realized why it had been such a bugger going together. It was tempting to leave it, but I knew it was going to cause me no end of grief down the road. It's looking much better now.


So at the time I was kind of in this "damn-the-torpedoes-full-speed-ahead-mode." Do you ever get like that? This block will be finished or else! And so I spent about an hour of my sewing day yesterday taking it all apart, trimming the triangles, and then sewing it back together. Wow...it's amazing what a little accuracy can accomplish.

And all of that to say that when I get another sewing day, I'm going to start sewing the Solstice Challenge quilt together. I'm still working out the details in my head. Pat Sloan (it was her challenge) gave us a pattern for sewing the blocks together. I'm still a little undecided about what fabrics I'm going to use.

Okay, so that wasn't the only thing I did yesterday. We had our traditional Eggs Benedict for breakfast. I mentioned in yesterday's post that I was using one of the little envelopes for the Hollandaise, rather than making it from scratch like I usually do. Well, it wasn't half bad. It lacked the tang of the made-from-scratch method, but it was good enough for RV cooking. We enjoyed it.


Also, I'm off to a good start on the second block for Heart and Home. When I reached this point, I moved my hoop, and now I'm ready to start again.


Today we're moving on from Pine Island. Our next stop is Little Manatee River State Park on the north side of Tampa (I think). There are a couple of things we want to see in Tampa...the Florida Aquarium, for one thing. We visited that aquarium some 20 years ago with the kids, and it was one of the best aquariums we'd ever visited. We're looking forward to seeing it again. There's also a manatee viewing center (TECO) asssociated with the Tampa Electric Co-op. We're hoping for a better view of them from there.

As always, I'm never certain what our internet situation will be when we move on to a state park. There's rarely wi-fi in the park, and so we're dependent on a good cell signal if we're to have internet access. If you don't hear from me, I'll be back in a few.

13 comments:

Ruth said...

Your first finished top of the year is wonderful! I love how you put the 9-patches in the middle. Wow! Eggs benedict every day? Yummy. I have only had it in restaurants and never would dream of making the sauce from scratch, but I have seen the packets in the store, so maybe I'll get one and try it. Do you have any meat in it? I love it with ham. Your helpers must be quite competent - they are also very cute.

Vroomans' Quilts said...

Oh, that turned out lovely! Adding those little bits of orange in the embroideries ties the whole thing together. My helpers have been absolutely useless with this cold weather - they just want to nap time away.

Quilting Babcia said...

How appropriate your embroidered block should read Home Sweet Home now that you've officially passed the halfway point in your coastal journey. Your MLK block is looking great. I recently splurged on one of those Bloc-Loc HST trimmer rulers, and they do work great. A bit hard to find as many of the on-line quilting sources don't carry them, found mine at Connecting Threads. I only bought the 6-1/2 inch one and found it easy enough to slide down for trimming smaller HST's, though they sell a variety of sizes.

Olka said...

Oh it's lovely!

My husband loves eggs benedict! Ha was eating it all the time during our US trip. I didn't like it too much, but I like this meal when he's doing it at home :D

piecefulwendy said...

Eggs Benedict is my favorite "treat" breakfast, and I agree, there's nothing better than made from scratch sauce. Yum! A perfect way to start off the new year, along with getting a quilt done! Yay for you! And you're going to finish Solstice. I'm impressed. I never did any more than 5 blocks and then it completely lost its appeal. Hope you get to see some manatee. How fun!

Dorothy said...

Happy New Year to all 4 of you. My wish for you all is continued safe travels. Love the top !!

Lyndsey said...

Happy New Year. Well you got in super quick with that finish. Well done it looks fabulous. I'm also wondering if I have time to make eggs Benedict for breakfast before I leave for work but I think it will have to wait until the weekend.

crazy quilter said...

Happy New Year! What a finish! Wowser , I love this. Your helpers are quite good. Keep on having fun..safe travels

WoolenSails said...

Had to catch up with all the fun activities you had this week. Sounds like a nice park, even though you had to park in sand. We stayed at one when I was young, beachfront but parking on more solid ground. I think it would be fun to see the manatees from a kayak. I hope the weather improves, seems like the whole east coast is getting slammed tomorrow.

Debbie

Kate said...

Looks like you had a relaxing and productive New Year's day. Looking forward to checking out your next set of adventures.

Brown Family said...

I have re-built blocks before. Some times it is just as frustrating go do it over as it was in the beginning!

quiltzyx said...

Nice re-do on the Solstice block. I'm sure you will have a much easier time when you get to putting it all together now.

Nice job Sadie - and Happy New Year to you too!! Mom wouldn't have that first finish of the year without you!

SJSM said...

So, Smitty got into tha catnip and tied one on? Those hangovers can be a beast to get through. I’m sure he recovered in due time. A hair of the dog may be in order. Nah. Woo foes would just make it worse.