11/26/17

Quilt Shop: Quilting N Crafts N Things; Carolina Beach, NC

While I was pretty sure there were a few quilt shops near Wilmington, I wasn't sure which ones were still open...or open on a Saturday. There were a couple with an online presence, but their brick and mortar stores had closed for good. And so I said to my friend Google, "Okay, Google...find a quilt shop near me." And Google is such a good friend, it always obliges my many requests. Have I said lately how much I heart the internet?


So, we loaded ourselves into the truck and off we went...down the road, but not too far...in Carolina Beach. It was located in a shopping center.


Walking through the front door, it wasn't a large shop, and it looked like this:


It was mainly a fabric store, although there was some focus on the AccuQuilt dye cutter, and they had a good supply of cutting dyes. There were a few books and patterns and a full rack of DMC embroidery floss. What they mostly had was fabric.


When I die, I hope I go to a fabric store to live out eternity.

There was a whole shelf of these 108-inch wide backing fabrics.


There I was, just about to open my mouth, when I saw this sign. Zip it, I told myself.


There was a good supply of landscape prints...


flannels and wools. Flannels were on sale on this day and I heard the store owner tell another customer that she would honor the sale price on flannel precuts as well.


There were lots of pretty solids in all colors. I love those Moda Marbles solids. They are so pretty, and those reds were gorgeous.


The pretty polka dots are always tempting....


but no more so than these stunning stripes.


There was a bin of fall fabrics on sale for 30% off...nothing there caught my eye particularly.


Also a scrap bin with some quart-size zip lock bags. One could fill a bag for $2.50. I like seeing this sort of thing in a quilt shop. It's kind of fun to pick through these and look for treasures.


Toward the back was a large classroom. If you look directly above the door, you can see their Row-by-Row pattern for the year.


These were all batiks.


But I was most interested in the nautical fabrics for my regional print. I was on the hunt for something with blue crabs.


And there I found it! She was willing to cut a fat quarter for me, which was all I wanted.


Also, I picked up a yard of this one. I just liked it. It could be trees, or turn it 90 degrees, and it could be a landscape of sorts. It could also be used in a binding or even a pawtrait. Do you see a calico cat in those colors? I don't have a plan for it, but I'm sure I'll use it for something.


So, it was a fun little shop with lots of good fabric and something for everyone's taste. It got good reviews from my friend Google, and I can second the motion. Be sure and stop in if you find yourself in Carolina Beach.

9 comments:

Lucky Duck Dreams said...

Great quilt store! I was thinking you can use the Row by Row map to find local quilt stores. It wont have all of them but it should have current ones.I open it on my smart phone when I travel

Vroomans' Quilts said...

I like the smaller, clean and roomy stores and this one does have a lot of great fabrics. Super size class room, too. Now I would have grabbed that last piece you picked out, too - lots of possibilities. Great suggestion by Colleen - I forgot about the Row by Row listing of participating shops.

Quilting Babcia said...

Fun little shop. I love all those stripes-my go-to for bindings whenever I can find the right color combination.

Lady Jane said...

Great quilt shop... Love the size of the classroom and lovely fabric. hugs, lj

WoolenSails said...

Love the fabrics you found, every store has something a little different and fun to check out new ones and find something special.

Debbie

piecefulwendy said...

You write up great reviews of quilt shops; I so enjoy reading about your stops. This one looked like a gem. Glad you were able to find one close by that was open. I like the blue crab fabric, and the other piece immediately made me think of your pawtraits that you make.

Brown Family said...

I am sure you will find something to use that pretty fabric for!

Kate said...

You found some fun stuff, the brown/black print could go into a lot of things.

quiltzyx said...

What a nifty shop with beautiful fabric choices. Yes, I can see you using the stripe-ish one in a pawtrait! How nice that she cut you a FQ of the blue crab fabric too.