10/28/17

Washington, D.C., Day Three

It was our final day of exploration in our nation's capital yesterday. We were up early to get an early start, and we were at the RV park gates to catch the 9:15 a.m. bus. The bus and Metro have been very convenient and reliable. On this particular morning, the 9:15 bus didn't show up, and so we ended up waiting an additional half hour, which delayed our start. No matter. We still got to the United States Capitol early enough to catch a tour without too much additional delay.

Of course, the day starts with kitties. Yesterday morning, Sadie hogged Mike's lap, and Smitty was forced to endure hugs from the man himself. Ew.


My morning was spent stitching on the first of three dresses for the center panel of the Sundress quilt. Now it is finished. This piece has been very slow going. And may I just say, A Pox on Polka Dots! Between this piece and the Bag Ladies of the Fat Quarter Club, I'm stitching an awful lot of polka dots.


Now I've moved my hoop to the middle dress, and I'll get started on that this morning.


To get back to sight-seeing, however, each of the three days we ventured into the city, we got off the Metro at the same stop, and then either walked or took another bus to our final destination. We were going to have to wait a half hour for the bus, and so we just walked the half dozen blocks or so...long blocks. In fact, despite many miles and hours of riding public transportation during our visit here, we've also walked over 20 miles.

We approached the Capitol from the back side, and then had to walk around to the front. It was a beautiful day for walking.


From the front, the Capitol looks like this. It is such an enormous building, that even backed up as far as I could go (without falling down the stairs), I could not fit it into a single frame.


From there, we walked down some stairs, went through a security check point, and then made our way to the counter to sign up for a tour. I've neglected to mention that all of these places in Washington, D.C., are free to visit. As a United States citizen, these buildings belong to you. Oh yes, and international readers...you can visit for free too.


Once inside, we were given stickers for our shirts and told to stand in line for the next tour. Tours leave every 10 minutes. When I visited Washington, D.C., the last time, I was able to walk through here on my own. Since 9/11, so much has changed.

There are statues everywhere in the United States Capitol. Each state can choose two. This one below is Frederick Douglass.


One of Hawaii's statues is King Kamehameha.


Our first stop on the tour was the Capitol Rotunda, and it is magnificent. Looking up, this is what you see.


In the image below, I've zoomed in on the mural at the tippy top.


The carvings and designs are intricate and beautiful.



As it turns out, the United States Capitol rotunda is a dome within a dome. What you see here from the inside is a dome within the dome you see from the outside. It is possible to get up to the balcony in the image below, and from there it is even possible to get to the upper balcony way on top of the outer dome.


Our guide directed us to a GoPro video on YouTube to see what a tour of the balconies would look like. You can see the video right here.


Below, standing on the floor, it looks like this. The man in the red jacket there was our guide, Walt. He knew an amazing amount about the United States Capitol. He could even tell me the names of Oregon's statues, which I have already forgotten, although McLoughlin was one of them.


From there we visited a room that was the original House of Representatives. Now, when you see those snakes representatives in Congress being interviewed by news media, it's from this room. From here, I'm going to show you a lot of ceilings and floors.


It turned out to be an echo chamber in there (that may be the origin of the term). Even hanging draperies didn't help.



Here's what the floor looks like.


Below is a room known as "The Crypt." These sandstone pillars hold up the floor, and indeed the entire structure, of the Capitol rotunda.


It was a rather short tour. I seem to remember visiting both the House and the Senate on my previous visit, but those were not included on this tour. If you visit the U. S. Capitol Visitor's website, you can learn more than you ever wanted to know about the building.

There is a cafeteria-style restaurant in the Capitol, and we had some lunch. From there, it is possible to walk through a tunnel to reach the Library of Congress. It's also possible to walk there at street level, but we skipped security by going through the tunnel. Besides, the tunnel was very cool. It extends some distance and turns several corners.


Eventually, you reach the stairs leading up into the main structure.


And here...it really is all about the building itself. What an incredible structure! There are so many must-see sites in Washington, D.C. Indeed, the city itself is a must-see for any American. But for my money (none, because it's all free), the Library of Congress tops the must-see list. It is as beautiful as any of the cathedrals in Europe or anywhere else in the world. This is the ceiling in the main part of the building.


There appeared to be a light out in that one corner, and this being so far up off the floor, I can imagine changing out a light bulb is no small task.


Below is a close-up of one of those panels in the image above.


Also, the designs in the ceiling are echoed in the floor to a certain extent. This room has the zodiac encircling it (if you can encircle a square room).


Here's my own sign, Taurus the Bull. "Bull." It makes sense, doesn't it?


The floors in this building are all beautiful tile mosaics. I know you quilters are going to love these floors.






The hallways are incredibly ornate.



The mosaic below is on the landing of the stairs leading to the viewpoint for the main reading room.


From the balcony, the building looks like this.


This is the main reading room. You may remember seeing it in the movie, All the President's Men. (Good movie, by the way.)


Looking across the way and through those arches, you can see some of the library books. The Library of Congress contains 838 miles of book shelves.


This is the ceiling. Sorry about the reflection. This room is viewed through glass.


Below, I zoomed in on the floor.


There is an exhibit with Thomas Jefferson's library, pictured in the image below.


Be sure and notice the floor.


The books in his collection were marked with different colored ribbons, denoting whether the books were part of his original library, or whether they were added later. The lighting here was very dim, and neither Mike nor I could read many of the titles. The ones we could read were unfamiliar.


Looking through the windows of the upper floor, this is the view of the outside.


From there, we had planned to see the Air & Space Museum, but we were both pretty tired of the city and the crowds. We've both visited the Air & Space Museum before, and so we reviewed what we'd seen there and decided not to return. Instead, we returned to the RV, and thus ended this visit to Washington, D.C. We love this city, as much as we can love any city, and we will probably return to see more of it at some point in the future.

When we got home, I unloaded the day's refrigerator magnets, and uh-oh. I seem to be filling up the one and only magnetic place in the kitchen.


Even the soon-to-be-replaced-with-a-plastic-one light fixture is taken up with one magnet.


I have a magnetic bulletin board on order to be delivered to a future destination. More on that later.

Where are you guys going to sit?



Today we're heading off to a Assateague State Park, which is supposed to be one of the best state parks in the country. It happens to be alongside the Assateague National Seashore on a tiny spit of land extending out into the Atlantic Ocean on one side, and the Chesapeake Bay on the other. It will be a nice quiet place to retreat from the past week of noisy city crowds and traffic. We would have liked to stay three nights, but sadly, the park shuts down for the season on Monday, and so we'll just have two nights there. It's possible we'll be out of range for internet there, and so if you don't hear from me for a couple of days, that will be the reason. Oh yes, and we won't have electricity, which makes blogging difficult as well.

Yesterday afternoon, I planned our next couple of weeks of travel, which always gets me excited to be on the move again. I'll fill you in as we go along. For now, it's time for breakfast and more stitching.

16 comments:

Sarah said...

I hereby dub thee the Polka Dot Queen. There is no way I have the patience or skill to do so many fench knots - until I've done them all. LOL. I'm soooo going to the top of the Capital dome next time I'm in DC. That was an awesome video. Ok, so no hexie tile floors but the buildings, floors and ceilings are just stunning. They could be viewed for hours and not see it all.

gpc said...

The D.C. buildings are so amazing, one would think that working amidst such beauty would elevate the mind and raise us to our highest selves. If only. I've never heard of the Assateague State Park but look forward to learning more -- it sounds like the perfect place to be. National Seashore areas are always a winner in my book.

Kate said...

Those buildings are incredable! I'd never get My Guy out of them. Thanks for sharing. Hope you enjoy your next location.

Quiltdivajulie said...

Another marvelous post -- DH and I are believers in exploring our USA before we head overseas. At the rate we're going (or not going), we will likely not make it over any oceans. Love that final photo!

QuiltShopGal said...

Having never been to DC, I've thoroughly enjoyed seeing your pictures and hearing about your trip. Great insights. LOL about the snakes!

QuiltShopGal
www.quiltshopgal.com

Cathy Smith said...

This may sound crazy, but the floors! I was amazed at the shine with so many people walking across them for so many years. What a great trip! Thanks for bringing us along!

liniecat said...

The Congress building looks totally amazing!
And patchwork designs every which where too!

Judy1522 said...

I am so enjoying your posts about Washington DC as it is a place I hope to visit eventually. You have really highlighted some interesting things to see and I appreciate that as it will help me in planning what I want to see most when I do make it there. This country has so much to see that it would really take years to see it all.

Shirley said...

While I have always enjoyed your blog posts, following along on your trip has been fantastic. It is so informative and I am sure you will treasure all the photos and descriptions you have posted on the blog. What a wonderful scrapbook. Thank you for sharing this trip with your readers!

WoolenSails said...

I can imagine how amazing it is in person, sometimes the enormity of a place cannot be shown in a photo, nor the beautiful art work. Loved seeing all the art work, never knew they had so much, always thought of it as white walls.

Debbie

piecefulwendy said...

What beautiful buildings and wonderful pictures. Thank you for sharing them! I love the kitty pics too. Enjoy your next leg of the adventure!

CathieJ said...

I love your pictures of the capitol. I have been there a couple of times, but always with children or as a child so I have never noticed the beautiful floors and carvings.

quiltzyx said...

Wow! Simply incredible photos today. I can see soooo many quilts in those floors & ceilings. :)
I looked up California's statues in the U.S. Capitol building on https://www.aoc.gov/capitol-hill/national-statuary-hall-collection/nsh-location . Father Junipero Serra & Ronald Reagan. I looked up Oregon's too - John McLoughlin & Jason Lee, both Canadian born!

I remember the book, Misty of Chincoteague being one of my favorites growing up (I think I read ALL of the horse-related books in my local library!). Had to check, and yep, it is by Assoteague. Hope you see some ponies!

Happy Trails to you!

Quilter Kathy said...

There are more quilting design ideas there than my brain could even comprehend!
Loved seeing your dress blocks!

Deb said...

Your dress block looks good, you are a master of the polka dot for sure. The next dress is lovely too. Great photos of the Capitol, and I love how your cats get the comfy chairs.

Brown Family said...

When we were in D.C. we did not visit the Capitol or the Library. I am disappointed now that we did not. Our tour guide took us through the White House because he use to work there. I enjoyed the Go-pro video, but would not enjoy that part of the tour. Thanks for showing Taurus the Bull, That is my sign, too!

I feel like I have missed a lot of your posts, but I can catch up to you! haha