10/8/17

Schoodic Peninsula

We had some business to take care of yesterday morning. It's pretty inconvenient when life's business intrudes into one's travel plans, but that's the way it goes sometimes. Mike's truck was whining about needing its oil changed "soon," and so we did that. While we were waiting for that, I took the opportunity to walk to a nearby Walgreen's to pick up some personal care items. Pretty boring stuff. Finally (and the truck took seemingly forever), we were able to make our way out to the Schoodic Peninsula. Along the way, we stopped in at a local quilt shop, and I'll tell you about that in a separate post.

Having spent so the morning on all of that, it was time for lunch by then, and so we stopped at a local restaurant. It's always fun to stop in where the food and the people are local, and we chose wisely for our lunch. We were looking for a good bowl of clam chowder, and "The Galley" looked promising.


It was a family-owned restaurant. Daughter was doing the serving, while mom was doing the cooking. Their restroom signs were so cute.



Just because we went there looking for clam chowder didn't mean we actually ordered it. Instead, we each had a lobster roll. So far, we've had lobster every day since arriving in Maine. It is delicious, cheap, and served up like fast food here.


Also...sweet potato fries. These were particularly delicious.

As we drove out to the peninsula, we saw lots of fall color. It's amazing what a difference a few days can make.


When we reached the peninsula, we pulled off at one of the first turnouts. There, we had another view of the Egg Island Light Station we saw the day before.


Around every turn were stunning views. Looking to the right at this turnout, this is what we saw.


Looking to the left, this is what we saw.


Here's a panorama of this particular inlet.


And here's another just a little ways down the road.


When we reached Schoodic Point, it was among the loveliest places I've ever seen. There were quite a few people there, but not the crowds we'd faced in the park the day before. There were a lot of painters present as well.


The weather was perfect. With so many large granite boulders, it was a nice place to sit and take in the view.


Our shadow selves came along on this trip. It's the first really sunny day we've seen in a while, and they were all over it.


Even our faces came along, squinting in the bright sunlight.


Our tour book tells us that Schoodic Point is marked by massive granite rocks that are laced by black diabase dikes, the product of magma that welled up into cracks. Here's a good example of that.


Here's another. It was easy to see here how the magma had forced the rock surfaces up and away from one another.


The scratch marks were caused by glaciers that smoothed and polished these rocks.


It was possible to walk right to the water's edge. Looking back, this is what we saw.


We soaked up the sun for about an hour, and then headed back. Along the way, we paused to take a picture of this marina. We also saw a lot of lobster traps along the way, piled up in people's yards.


And we saw lots of fall color. I took dozens of pictures, and I'll show you a few.



As I took the pictures off my camera and phone, I came across a few images I shared on Facebook, but not here on the blog, and so I'm including them here. This one below was taken in New Hampshire as we drove by. It's someone's home, but I was looking at the colorful trees.


And since some of y'all get weird, nervous, and thirsty when I don't include pictures of the kitties, I'm including these. Here, Smitty is claiming Mike's lap yesterday morning before we left for the day.


Sadie rarely yields on lap time, but she gave Smitty a chance by taking her morning nap in the chair.


Also, this is the best part of any driving day. We stop for lunch, and then Mike has his nap. While he's napping, the kitties and I sit in the back of the trailer with a quilt. That's when I work on my embroidery. When Mike gets up, we have a cup of espresso and a bite of chocolate, and then we move along.


As you can see, Sadie is completely stressed out. Not.

So we'll be moving along today, and we *really* need to be moving along. Things are shutting down here in Maine, and we suspect most places in New England. Columbus Day seems to be the end of the season. We had hoped to visit Boothbay Harbor on our way south, but couldn't find a place to stay. The RV park we'd hoped for shuts down for the season tomorrow. So, that was kind of a rude awakening. Instead, we're going to spend two nights at a park in Kennebunkport. You might recall that it was the summer home of President George H.W. Bush. There is a wildlife refuge there, and we might take that in on a day of sight-seeing. Mainly, we just want to see the town. It sounds charming.

From there, we're heading to a state park near the water at the tip of Rhode Island. Thanks go to my friend, Debbie, for putting us onto this park. It will be our first visit to Rhode Island, and we'll be driving through Massachusetts and Connecticut to get there...at least three new states for the side of the RV. We've been to Massachusetts on a previous trip, and so we won't spend much time there. Rhode Island and Connecticut will be new to us both. Possibly I visited there as a child with my family, but I don't remember anything about either state.

We're slowing down a little bit for the next few days, but don't let that fool you. After Rhode Island, it's New York City...a little overwhelming to think about, but we're getting a handle on it by consulting all of our resources. We spent several hours looking at everything from RV parks to bus tours to walking tours to ferry schedules last night. By the time we were finished, we'd decided on a few things, but our trip to the Big Apple is far from nailed down. More on that as we make some decisions.

20 comments:

Debbie said...

I just covered the last 2 days of posts....wow, I am tired! All the photos of the fall colors are a delight for the eyes. I am glad you got a bit of sun to enjoy and bask in. The sights are just amazing. And the lobster makes me hunger for a taste:)

Frog Quilter said...

So enjoying sharing your travels. Love the tree colors and all the rock / water pics. Wow.

Cheryl's Teapots2Quilting said...

I wish I remembered the name of the great restaurant in Kennebunk, across from Kennebunkport, that we ate at. We got there too late in the day to check out the shops. Last time I was NYC, I was 5 years old.

Vroomans' Quilts said...

Glad to see you were able to catch some more color. Yes, much of the NorEast close shop Columbus weekend - so we can prep and be ready for the four letter word (snow).

liniecat said...

That magma strip is amazing, such remarkable forces at work and yet so strikingly innocent now they are cooled and a part of the calming scenery - clever use of the loo signs too lol
Precious moments with kitties and quilt as well - lovely

Kate said...

Hmm, we missed the peninsula on our trip. Looks like a very cool place. The fall colors are gorgeous. We've still got mostly green leaves here. Probably another couple of weeks before we start to see fall color. Safe travels.

Lana said...

Makes me really want to visit New England. Love the fall colors, beautiful water, and the interesting rock formations. When I visited a friend in the fall, in New Jersey a few years back, I just oooed and awwwwed over the beautifully colored maple leaves, picking them up, and wanting to take some home. She just laughed at me. I laughed with her and told her we don't get this beautiful color in South Texas. And I really want one of those lobster rolls. Yum! What a bit of heaven, sitting in the sun, coffee, lovely quilt AND 2 adorable kitties.

Annie said...

Welcome to my home state, we're very proud of it and like to have visitors from around the country.

Dorothy said...

Am still loving tagging along with you on your trip. Some "quilted hearts" are being found in places you've been through----your doing ??

Quilting Babcia said...

What a difference a few days make is right! The fall colors have popped out like someone waved a frosty magic wand and said "now!" I love the pictures of Maine and the coast. I'd really like to get back there someday.

quiltzyx said...

More great pics - and cool to see all the Plein Air Painters at work too. My sister Nancy does that. So many amazing views and colors. Whew! I am working on my walking/fall recovery - I would love to get out & give my camera a good workout! As usual, thanks for taking us along!! Oh, and have another lobster roll & sweet potato fries for me! Hah!
Glad to see the kitties are such chill travelers now. LOL I wonder how they will act when you're back in OR & the house stays in ONE PLACE all the time?

OXO

DeeDee said...

I just love going along on your adventures. The pictures are absolutely gorgeous. I also love your kitty updates. My sweet little Olive likes to sleep on my lap the same way Sadie does yours. I can't wait to hear about your Rhode Island adventures. My parents were born there and several of my mom's brothers and sisters are still there. I spent many summers there fishing with my grandpa and soaking up the sun. What a grand adventure you're having. I'm envious and enjoying it, all at once!

Sandra W said...

In NYC--The night boat tour on the Hudson is very nice. You see the lights of the city and Statue of Liberty etc.
The city bus tour you can get from anywhere is also good--you see Seinfeld's apt. and Harlem etc. The trick to this tour is DON't get off the bus. Stay on, see everything, and then if you really like something go there the next time. I always enjoy the Guggenheim and MOM. The MOM is free at 6 p.m. Fridays.
Purl Soho is a nice shop--but half of it is yarn. City Quilter, sadly, in only online now.
But really the great thing about NYC is, well, NYC.

WoolenSails said...

You got a beautiful day to visit Schoodic, we always get fog. Loved seeing the photos since all we saw was fog, lol. I see you are going through mass and then Ct. to get to RI? Or are you staying in Ct. First? Looks like a nice week coming up, maybe a little rain on one day.

Debbie

ytsmom said...

I am so jealous of your lovely trip. Would love to change places with you! And those lobsta rolls! So how cheap is cheap, really?? LOL

piecefulwendy said...

I've been gone over the weekend, so haven't been commenting (I'm sure you've been wondering - ha). I am amazed at how much the colors have turned! So glad you were able to see some of that before heading on down the road. I didn't realize everything closed up so quickly in Maine. We didn't stop at Kennebunkport, so I'm looking forward to hearing what you thought of it. Fun to see the photo of you, Mike and the kitties.

Susan said...

Your trip to Maine is bringing back so many memories. Makes me want to go there again.

We lived about 20 miles north of NYC. We loved going into the city for concerts, museums and visiting different landmarks. Would love to go back there someday. We have a niece and nephew who now live there in the Queens area.

I bet the kitties miss you when you are gone all day.

QuiltGranma said...

I thank you for taking your readers on a vicarious trip with you. And a vicarious snuggle with those adorable kitties! What wonderful color there. Here in the high desert of eastern Oregon just about everything is either brown dirt fields tilled for winter planting of wheat, or golden color of the dry grasses or wheat stubble from this years crop. We get so little rain the fields get to take turns , every other year, for crops... unless it is alfalfa for the cows, then they have irrigation.

Brown Family said...

The rocks with the lava pushing up between them in fascinating! And the leaf colors are stunning. Another great tour! I am sorry Sadie is so stressed!

Lyndsey said...

The rocks with the lava pushing through is amazing. I've never seen any pictures of that before. I love the fall colours and hope to see some more here in the UK this coming weekend as I am going away to the New Forest. The kitties seem to have settled into their big adventure very nicely.