10/1/17

Quilt Shop: Auntie's Attic, Niagara Falls, NY

We had to visit the quilt shop yesterday because it was closed today, Sunday. It's good having a traveling companion who understands what's most important to his happiness in life.


As you walk through the front door, this is what you see.


It wasn't a large store, but she had it well-stocked with lots of pretty fabrics.


I have no idea for the fabric requirements of the Bag Ladies quilt, but this one certainly tempted me. I considered buying several yards, but restrained myself. It also came with a green background.


She had a nice supply of notions, and to the right and out of the frame, some good quality needles for machine and hand-sewing.


Moving toward the back of the store, she had plenty of pretty batiks. The ones with leaves were also tempting. See that one on the right side of the lower shelf. I pulled that one out and opened it up. It was beckoning, but I didn't buy any.


Also, she had a great supply of calicos. Some of these were just precious.


The woman minding the store (Auntie, I presume) was friendly as could be. There were some other cute notions and hand-made items around, but I really loved these little plaques.


These little turtles were cute...about the size of a softball. I was taken with them because the one in the middle has a fabric I used when I made my very first quilt almost ten years ago.


For my purchases, I chose a fat quarter of this one. It was so cute, I was tempted to buy more yards of it, but I wasn't sure how I'd use it.


And I was on the hunt for a regional print. Something suggesting Niagara Falls would have been relished, but I didn't see anything like that. Instead, I picked up another leaf-peeping variety. The veins of the leaves are metallic gold. It's very pretty.


This was probably the friendliest store I've visited so far this trip. It would be worth it just to meet "Auntie," but it's also worth it just for the fabrics. Definitely stop in if you find yourself in Niagara Falls. It was a great stop-off after visiting the falls.

7 comments:

quiltzyx said...

Ooooh! Pretty fabrics!! And those turtles are so cute - did they have a pattern for them? Were they pincushions or maybe beanbags? That middle one's shell reminds me of a Mary Englebreit fabric.

Happy to see that the weather is nicer. Continued safe travels & Happy Trails to you!

Kate said...

What a fun shop to visit. You came away with some beautiful fabrics.

n Carter said...

Now you're getting toward my neck of the woods. If you're thinking of coming to Rochester I can recommend a quilt store or two. Maybe a campground as well. Not sure where your travels are taking you next.
.

Gretchen Weaver said...

I'm enjoying following along on your trip from my chair. Thanks for sharing! Love the leaf fabric.

piecefulwendy said...

Thanks for sharing this, I didn't know about this store, but I've heard the name somewhere. I hope you're not like me and will regret not buying those temptations after you are a few miles down the road! I'm still thinking of one piece I should've bought in Maine. Haha.

Lou said...

I had that one on my list to visit but we just didn't have the time:( So glad I got to see it through your eyes!

Brown Family said...

That fabric would be great for the nag ladies! The leaf fabric is very pretty! I am always looking at turtles for my Daughter in Law!