10/10/17

Kennebunkport, Maine

It was raining when we left the RV yesterday morning, and it only rained harder as we drove toward Kennebunkport. It was, in fact, pouring. A real "frog strangler," as my father would say. Or, he might say it was "raining like a cow peeing on a flat rock." Shall I go on?

Just so you know I'm not kidding, this was the view out of the windshield of the truck:


Looking at our weather app, we were hopeful it would stop fairly soon. We were thinking we'd like to walk the streets of Kennebunkport since it was described in the tour book as "quaint" and "picturesque."


We decided to first go to the Goat Island Lighthouse at Cape Porpoise, a little ways south. It's a very old lighthouse. We knew it was offshore on an island, and that we wouldn't be able to get any closer. Still, my pictures aren't that good. I was holding an umbrella, and it was still pouring rain. I was wishing I'd worn my waterproof shoes because there was standing water everywhere. Nevertheless, I persisted, and managed to get a couple of shots of it. You can see better pictures at that link I've given you back there. Also, it has an interesting history. It is very nearly 200 years old.


Here's another shot...zoomed in for a better look.


Since it was still raining, I pulled out my quilt shop directory to see if there were any nearby quilt shops. We found one. As it turned out, it was technically a "quilt shop," not a "fabric shop." Still, it was cute on the outside. It was a part of a B&B complex.


When I walked in the front door, this is what I saw. Otherwise, the place was abandoned.


I strolled through looking at things. It was really more of a gift shop. There were a few bolts of fabric...maybe a couple dozen. Also, some lovely quilts for sale with some beautiful hand quilting.


While I was inside, Mike called the RV park we were hoping to stay at while we visit New York City, and we were able to get reservations for the dates we wanted. That was a big load off our minds regarding the New York City visit. I'll say more about that later. Our trip won't be until the end of the week.

So, I didn't spend much time at the quilt shop, and I never did see anyone working there. It was wide open. Fortunately, I'm an honest person. Besides, would a quilter steal from another quilter? I think not.

We drove on, looking for Kennebunkport. There seem to be a constellation of little towns here, and it's a little difficult to know when you've moved from one town to the next. Along the way, we saw this church with a steeple. There were lots of churches with steeples, and I've noticed that many of them have clocks and weather vanes.


Finally, and after just a few minutes, we reached Kennebunkport. Amazingly, the rain had slowed and by the time we were parked and ready to get out of the car, it had stopped altogether.


We found free public parking just a few blocks from the town proper. As we walked along through a residential area, I snapped this picture.


Standing on one corner, I snapped all three of the next shots. See the fish weather vane in this next image?



This is the Kennebunkport post office. I was kind of interested in when the building was constructed, but I couldn't see a year anywhere.


It was a short walk to the town proper.


It was lunch time, and we were on the hunt for a place to get some New England clam chowder. Along the way, we passed this shop. Can you read the sign?


It says, "Scalawags: This and Thats for Dogs and Cats." Well. We'd be back for that. But first, lunch.

As we went into the restaurant, the folks coming out urged us to order the clam chowder, claiming it was delicious. They said they'd had it the day before and came back for another serving. Thanks! Don't mind if we do!


I liked the sign inside.


It's hard to pass up the lobster rolls, but they had a mini (really?) lobster roll with a cup of clam chowder on the menu, and we each had that. Yum. Yum. Yum. It was as delicious as we'd been promised.


From there, we just walked on down the street. This is the Kennebunk River, which seems to flow inward from the sea rather than the other way round. We're thinking the water must be brackish.


On the other side of the street, I snapped this picture.


And this one.


There was an informational sign there. This is historically a ship-building community, and the history of this bridge was interesting.





From there, we headed back to the Scalawags shop.


The signs inside were just too cute.






And not to offend anybody, but, sorry...my sentiments exactly.


It's a small town, and we'd seen what we wanted to see. We headed back to the car. Along the way, I saw this place. I could swear I have some books from them. Mike noted that some of the cookbooks for sale in the shop were published by Cider Mill Press, and so maybe that's where I've seen the name. Certainly, I have enough cookbooks to open my own library.


Also, we went on a disappointing treasure hunt when we saw this sign.


You might not be able to see what caught our eyes. Maybe now you can see it.


How about now?


A catwear showroom. Now, this we had to see. So we walked on and came to this sign.


And we walked on, but we seemed to lose the trail. Then, we looked online and were disappointed to see that it was Purrmanently closed. Bummer.

So from there, we drove to Walker Point. This was the summer home of President George H. W. Bush. Hard to see in the fog, but there it is.


These were their across-the-street neighbors...no slouch either.


By then, it was starting to rain again, and so we headed back to the trailer. Of course, no visit would be complete if I didn't find the requisite refrigerator magnet.


They didn't have shot glasses, but I found one next door.


We've had a relaxing couple of days here in Kennebunkport. In addition to grocery shopping and sight-seeing, I got some stitching done. I'm about halfway finished with Abigail.


She looks like a New England fisher person, doesn't she? Now she's hooped up and ready to go again.


We'll be moving on to Rhode Island this morning, but I'll be doing a little stitching first. We're looking forward to three nights at our next stop, and then at least four nights in New York City. I said we were slowing down, and we are. From here, the weather is going to dictate our travels as we move south to warmer climes.

13 comments:

Sher S. said...

I definitely think Smitty would make a puurrrfict president. a 1000 times better than what we have. Love following you around the country. Love the fall colors too.

Renata S said...

Thank you for taking us on your trip. Love seeing the sights without the driving.

Vroomans' Quilts said...

We had buckets of rain for the day, too - our part of Hurrican Nate. What a quaint township to visit. I love those totem sign poles and too bad you missed out on what I think would have a fun store to visit.

Mary in Peoria Handmade said...

I'm pleased I found your blog. Love your photos and thanks for taking us along. mary in Az

quiltzyx said...

I'm so glad the rain let up for you. Those are some wonderful photos! And as the freezing a/c is dropping down on me from above, I REALLY like the looks of your lobster roll & clam chowder!!! I may have to make myself some hot tea shortly, just to warm up!

Continued safe travels my friends!

WoolenSails said...

Looks like you got to enjoy some time exploring, even with the rain and always fun to eat out and try the local fare. I have never explored the lower areas, one year we will camp in the lower towns so we can explore more.

Debbie

Brown Family said...

Kennebuckport was a lovely place! We were not there long so I don't remember all the churches or the ship yard. I wish er had taken more time explore.

I love the Scalawags! What s fun shop to visit! I am about as far along on Abigail as you are!

Robin said...

You do realize the crazy nonstop rain is due to the change of weather/seaso I like the Kennebunkport village sign with the houses, etc on it. Going to try and download from your pic and enlarge. We will see.

piecefulwendy said...

Looks like we should have stopped in Kennebunkport! That lunch looks really tasty! Thanks for posting the pictures. Did you get anything for the kitties at the store?

Beth said...

So interesting to see the East Coast towns--so different in feeling from the West Coast, don't you think? You're definitely not in Mendocino or Malibu, even though you're on the coast, near great wealth.

The doodads at Scalawags would be hard to pass up. Thanks for making me smile first thing in the morning. And I must say: one of our cats coughed up a hairball this morning that might make a better president...Grrr...at least it wouldn't take us to the brink of WWIII.

***All angry political retorts should be directed to me, not Barbara, who is not responsible for the outrage of her readers.

It's rain, rain, rain here in Oregon, too. Quilty weather, suddenly, just as Christmas is looming large on the calendar. Very convenient, I say.

Looking forward to your NYC adventures. One of my favorite places on planet Earth.

QuiltGranma said...

when hubby went to a conference in Savanna, Georgia earlier this year he felt confused, because the ocean was to the east, not the west as we are accustomed to here, in the beautiful Pacific North West! Do you have that problem too?

Kate said...

What a cute town. Thank you for sharing the pictures. I have to agree, Smitty would get my vote for president too. Though Sadie would also be in the running there too.

Lyndsey said...

It looks a great town and I love the signs in the dog and cat shop.