10/6/17

Bar Harbor, Maine

It was a long day of driving, made seemingly longer by the terrible roads we traveled yesterday. We thought we'd never get here, but we find ourselves in Bar Harbor, Maine, this morning, and we'll be here for the next several days. Before I go on, I need to select a winner for the September Bag Lady stitch-along. Mr. Random has spoken, and September's winner is:

#3--Judy!

Congratulations, Judy! I'll be sending you an email, so check your inbox.

As for our traveling adventures, I have this to tell you about yesterday's drive. For one thing, the kitties used to run for cover as the slides came in. Now, Smitty is such a seasoned traveler, that he just watches out the back window as we go down the road.


Even Sadie is relaxed enough now that she just rides in on the slide as it closes.

We drove through raking light and fog as we left New Hampshire yesterday morning.


The fog was really just low-flying clouds.


The clouds prevented the sun from shining through the leaves, and so they weren't as bright as they might have been.


Part of the reason the roads were so bad is that we took the back roads over the path known as the 13-Mile Woods. There, we were promised the best foliage and the best possibility for seeing moose. We saw plenty of foliage, but no moose. The farther north we drove, the brighter and more intense the colors.


We drove through plenty of historic towns.


The object of my itchy shutter finger for yesterday's drive were churches with steeples. (I need something to keep me awake.)


The problem with taking pictures while driving down a road is that the power lines are always present. It's pretty hard to get something like this without getting plenty of power lines in the bargain.









But don't think my lust for church steeples meant that I neglected the barns.




Also, we passed by this outlet store. The name of the business was unfamiliar to us, but they were selling Adirondack chairs. We are lusting after these as well. When I downloaded this picture from my camera, I noticed I'd also caught a quilt block there on the left side of the image. You can make it out behind the reflections of my shirt on the window.


Shortly after that, we passed into the state of Maine.


The roads improved a bit when we reached the interstate, near the end of yesterday's journey. The foliage also grew more colorful.


After so much driving, we were very glad when these signs started appearing.


Acadia National Park is located on Mount Desert Island, and I believe this might be the area known as Western Bay.


We're staying at a KOA in Bar Harbor and I have laundry going as I write this post. We'll be here for the next couple of days. There weren't many choices this late in the season, and this park will shut down for the season on Monday. We may decide to stay an extra night, but after that we'll need to move along. The park is a typical run-down KOA, but the scenery is spectacular. Also, this nice young man cooks lobster dinners in the RV park each night.


Wait a minute...lobster dinner and we don't even have to drive anywhere? Count us in. We purchased two dinners, which included corn on the cob and coleslaw, and took them back to the RV to eat. Here, he's cracking their shells with a very sharp knife.


While we waited for him to cook our lobsters, we watched the sun set.


Day is done.

Today we'll spend our day exploring the park. As of this writing, I haven't studied the parks book, and so I'm not sure where we'll start. It's just one of the cliffhangers you've grown to expect when you read this blog...tomorrow's post will tell the tale.

15 comments:

Debbie said...

I am along for the trip, but I get to miss/forget/not endure the long miles! I think I might have had to stop at that outlet store....interesting things to view. Lobster dinner looks wonderful!

Anonymous said...

I haven't yet left a comment during your trip, but rest assured I've been right there beside you all the way! It brings fond memories of 1953 when my parents took my brother and I on a trip from our home in Iowa to Maine through all the eastern states, into Canada at Niagara Falls, and back into the US in Michigan. Obviously it was only half of the US, but it was a wonderful trip. Because it was summer we missed all the colorful foliage but we didn't miss much else. I'm so happy you are having such a good time.

Vroomans' Quilts said...

After traveling bad roads for a long period, having dinner prepared right in your backyard so to speak - sounds like a given. Glad you are getting to enjoy some color foilage finally.

Julierose said...

Always wanted to visit Acadia--my uncle used to be a lobsterman off the coast of Maine on Cliff Island in Casco Bay off south Portland--many summers spent lobstering and eating...enjoy the park...hugs, Julierose P.S. are you planning a church/steeple quilt??;)))

Lisa England said...

If you have a chance to visit a Marden's store while you are in Maine, you ought to. I first discovered it many years ago when we visited Acadia and other places in Maine. I think the location was in Bangor, but there are a bunch in the state. Anyway, my first impression was a Big Lots type place, but they have a surprisingly nice selection of fabric. Name brands, good prices. I did not expect that! I went to a couple other locations when we visited Maine last fall and they are not all the same, but you might just discover a treasure.

WoolenSails said...

The foliage looks beautiful, wish we could head north ourselves, but too late now and there may be rain coming in. I do love that you can get lobster at most camps, nice to have it cooked and ready to eat. You have to do the park drive, that has the most beautiful views and of course drive up Mount Cadillac, that is free and i assume you have the free park pass for us old people, haha. I hope the fog clears and the weather stays nice so you can enjoy the views.

Debbie

QuiltShopGal said...

This is a dream destination on my bucket list. Now you've inspired me to definitely go in the fall. Love your photos.

QuiltShopGal
www.quiltshopgal.com

Henry said...

This looks like an incredible place to visit! Thanks for the share, keep up the posts!
Henry

CathieJ said...

The sixth church picture looks just like the plastic one my mom puts in her Christmas village. I loved scrolling through the church and barn pictures. I think it is funny that the kitties now just enjoy the ride on the slides. So glad you are enjoying your trip.

Celtic Thistle said...

We visited Bar Harbor on a cruise a couple of years ago, it is a lovely part of the world. Hope you enjoy the rest of your stay there.

Kate said...

We visited Arcadia a couple of years ago and loved it. The scenery is gorgeous. Lots of great hiking trails. Looking forward to seeing what sites you decide to visit.

Unknown said...

Hi. Following your trip. Im from Maine and I will say New England had some horrid roads. Freezing and thawing for 4-5 months a year is very hard on them. I share your love of barns and church steeples. Great photos.


Hope you enjoyed your lobster and Acadia NP, beautiful places. Lots of those (beautiful ful places) in New England. Foliage is changing late this year as we had so much heat in ,S ptember--it tajes cold nights to help the process.
Enjoy your trip

quiltzyx said...

It seems a very 'churchy' part of your journey! Nice that not all of them had the heavy electrical lines crossing them. And some great barns too. Yay!

Even in the overcast, the colors are beautiful and I can imagine how they'd look in the sunshine.

Mmmmm fresh lobster for dinner! Where's my bib??

Angel, Kirby and Max said...

So many different shaped steeples! My Dad always commented on how hard they would be to put a new roof on. I did get to see the beautiful fall foliage in New Hampshire many years ago! There are so many old quaint towns in that part of the country! I hope the lobster was as good as it looked!

Lyndsey said...

Mmm lobster sounds yummy and not having to cook it is a definite win. The trees are looking fabulous in their autumn foliage. Do I see a church quilt in your future as well as a barn quilt? I do hope so as they look great even with the power lines in the pictures.