9/8/17

Signing Off

Packing will start in earnest today as we start loading the fifth wheel for our journey. I'll start with my sewing items and then move on to food and clothing. With three days ahead, I'm expecting full days, but also plenty of time to do a good job of organizing. It'll hardly be blog-worthy, and so I'm going to sign off for a few days until after we get on the road. Our first stop is Spokane, and then on to Butte, Montana. I'll blog again as soon as I have something interesting to talk about or until my head gets full of words, whichever comes first. I'm betting on the latter.

The fire in the Columbia Gorge is still burning, and Interstate-84...the main road east out of town...will remain closed through the weekend. We will be able to move east using SR-14 on the Washington side, but it will add about an hour to an already-long day of driving. Firefighters can do little more than control the flames since containment has been next to impossible. Smoke and high winds have prevented any kind of air support and the steep terrain makes much of area impenetrable for that sort of work. I've seen some very sad images coming out of the fire. This is a screenshot I grabbed from a video showing the devastation at the popular Angel's Rest Trail.


It's hard to see through the smoke, but it's pretty much scorched earth in that area. As for Multnomah Falls and the historic Multnomah Falls Lodge, there's plenty to celebrate. Here is a picture of the firefighters who risked their lives to save the lodge and control the blaze around the falls. You can see there is still plenty of green.


The area has been described as a mosaic from the pattern of the blaze. Some areas are barely touched, while others have been completely denuded. When I heard last, the blaze had grown to 33,000 acres, but it has probably grown larger since then.

Yesterday, I made good on my promise to use up some leftovers in the refrigerator to make some Lemon Cheesecake Mousse. I neglected to take a picture of it, and so I'm recycling an old image from the blog.


When I make this for Mike and me, I only make half a recipe, and so I end up with unused whipping cream, cream cheese, and lemon curd. By making this up yesterday, I was able to get all of those things out of the fridge. And besides, it makes the most delicious light dessert. By "light," I am not implying that this is diet food. It most definitely is not. You can find the recipe for these right here. They're easy to make, but you'll use a lot of bowls in the process.

Also, I had half a watermelon to use up, and so I pureed that to be turned into watermelon sorbet this morning. I'll pack that into the trailer in the freezer and we'll take it along. Watermelon sorbet is one of my favorites.

On the sewing front, I finished the last of Mathilda this morning.


The next time I work on the bag ladies, I'll be stitching Abigail. She's looking hale and hearty with her fishing gear there. It looks like she's planning on doing some sewing while she waits for a bite.


If you're stitching along with us, you should stitch whichever bag lady you like.

And now...it's the moment I've been waiting for. Tomorrow morning I'll take the first stitches on the Sundress quilt.


I've already traced out and hooped the largest center block.


When I purchased the pattern...years ago, I think...I also purchased the floss kit. I'm loving these bright colors, but I question whether there's enough here to stitch the whole quilt.


Time will tell. It's easy to overestimate how much floss will be needed, which explains the big box of extra floss currently residing in my sewing room.

Smitty is not feeling good about the goings on here at the Three Cats Ranch. When our routine is altered, it is never good for cats. Here, he is demonstrating how a cat becomes "small." The idea is that if one can scrunch oneself into a small enough profile, then one will go unnoticed and not be packed up with the rest of the travel gear.


Sadie was being her usual helpful self. Here, she's preparing to knock my "sharps" container off onto the floor. I keep broken and bent needles and pins in an empty medicine bottle for safe disposal.


And yes, she's perilously close to the magnetic pin cushion, but pins do not interest her. I had to be more careful when Smitty was a kitten. He liked to pick them up in his teeth. Yikes!

When the kitties are a little too helpful, a dose of catnip always distracts them. I put a little in a custard cup. It used to be all for Smitty, but now Sadie has taken a liking to it. She's very rude and noses him out of it while he imbibes. Now, he gets his own private seating area off in the distance there.


So, that's all I have to tell you for now. I'll be spending the next several days packing, packing, and more packing. As for blogging on the road, it always depends on whether I have internet access. Daily blogging is important to me because of all the pesky words that crowd out my ability to think rationally. (Some might say "rational thinking" never happens.) Blogging sometimes isn't possible because of lack of internet access or cell phone coverage. Usually I have an idea ahead of time when we'll be out of touch, but not always. If days go by without word from me, you can guess it's because I can't get online.

It's always wonderful when you, my dear blogging friends, travel along with us. Any advice about things we should see (especially quilt shops!) in your local area are always appreciated. Also, we sometimes see mysterious geographic/geologic formations, and we've learned a lot from you locals when we're in those areas. So please chime in if you have something to say!

Finally, for those of you in the path of the hurricane(s), you are constantly in my thoughts. Please be safe, and I'm keeping my fingers crossed that you come out the other side unscathed by predicted destruction. Take good care, my dear friends. I'll tell you what I always tell my kids: Don't take any unnecessary risks, and by all means, fasten your seatbelts and/or wear your helmets.

See you on the other side.

28 comments:

Cathy Smith said...

Have a WONDERFUL adventure! Looking forward to your "on the road" posts with eager anticipation! Be safe!

Marlene said...

Have a fantastic trip. Look forward to following your travels froom afar.

Ioleen said...

Enjoy your adventure. Looking forward to traveling along with you two.

Ray and Jeanne said...

Let the Journey begin! Enjoy and stay safe. ~Jeanne

gpc said...

Good of Sadie to be sure the sharps container is tightly closed. Can't be too careful. The lemon mousse looks amazing -- I made a no cheat cheesecake tonight that we'll try tomorrow. No sugar, no flour, no good stuff. I don't think we are going to be blown away but am hoping to be proven wrong!

Vroomans' Quilts said...

Safe travels to you as well. Watching Irma as friends/family reside in FL and the Carolinas. Look forward to your travel shares.

Terri in BC said...

Have a wonderful trip! Looking forward to hearing about Smitty and Sadie's adventures on the road!

UplayOnline said...

Looking forward to traveling along with you two.


ทางบ้าน

Teresa in Music City said...

Happy travels my friend!!! I'll be checking in often to see what you two kids are up to. Tell Smitty that Rocky knows exactly how he feels and sympathizes with him. Well, actually, Rocky is just glad it's not him having to travel :*)

Lyndsey said...

I'm pleased you've got the prioritises organised and the sewing gear is being loaded first. Good luck with your packing, which for me is always the worst part of any trip. Picasso read the post with me and he feels for Smitty. Just in case we get any ideas of going on a long trip he's hidden himself under a blanket, curled into a tight ball and gone to sleep. I will be following along and eager to read any, and all, sensible and rambling words that fall on the pages.

Debbie said...

Wow....you have lots to do and packing for such a long gone time needs to be organized. Love your description of words crowding your head and blocks rational thoughts....lol. I feel that way too sometimes. The kitties will find a routine once you hit the road and I am looking forward to all the new sights to see.
The devastation of the fires is heart wrenching , and the massive blast coming this way from Irma. My bother left Naples at 2 am this morning.....I finally got some sleep then.

Jenny - the lilac cat said...

Good luck with your packing and organising. I along with all your blogger friends are really looking forward to 'our' trip across N America seeing places in all likelihood I will never see so you will have to be my eyes. I especially love to see the cats on tour and their antics.

Kathy H said...

Safe travels. I look forward to reading your posts when you can.

Nita said...

Oh, I am so excited for you! Youre going to have an awesome time. Lookimg forward to your posts as you travel along. And you picked the perfect travel project...in fact I might have to google that sundress pattern, lol. When I retired a couple of years ago, I made a goal to learn to sew my own clothing...in particular, sundresses. I still haven't tackled a proper fitted bodice...I'm still perfecting shift dresses. But sun dresses are on my horizon. :)

Californianativedaughter said...

I had to give up my sewing/quilting pins with the little round ball on the top because our black female was helping me by pulling the pins out of my projects. I had to resort to the flat head style. Also, as I'm sure you do, have to be careful about leaving any thread around. My thread organizer, like yours is high-up above my small four drawer filing cabinet that I use as a small cutting table. Right now it's piled high with projects and fabrics. Our former kitty, Gus, who resembles your tabby, loved thread, hair, anything stringy. He would get up on my sewing machine cabinet and pull the thread out of the sewing machine to chew/swallow, so I've learned when not in use to cover it. He was famous for pulling all the hemming thread out of our draperies and sheers, so when we remodeled we opted for blinds and shades.
Have a wonderful trip. I'm looking forward to you posts as to where you are and what you see. Is it three months that you'll be gone?
Rosemary

Lou said...

Safe travels!!! I will be following along:)

Janet said...

Have a great trip. I was curious about you not having internet service, but then I remembered you're coming to Canada... Ah yes.

Beth said...

Bon Voyage! I kind of love the part of the trip that involves check list and ticking things off. That is when I feel quite efficient and as if everything is under control. (As opposed to later on, when it becomes quite clear that the opposite is true.)

Since you're going to be in Spokane I want to put in a good word for an absolutely wonderful quilt shop I visited when I stayed with my niece who was posted there. The shop is in Coeur d'Alene, but it's well worth the extra time, and you can take a minute to walk by the gorgeous lake if you'd like, although with the smoke your view might not be as scenic as mine was.

Here are the shop details:
Bear Paw Quilting
Phone: 208-664-1554
600 W Kathleen Ave Suite #10
Coeur d'Alene, ID 83815
Email: bearpawquilting@roadrunner.com

It's a splendid place with a huge variety of fabric and projects and a very friendly staff.

Safe travels to the four of you. Can't tell you how much I appreciate you taking us along. Otherwise, I'd never go anywhere!

xxx Beth

kc said...

Safe travels! Only stops I know of are/were in Rockport, Port Lavaca, Portland, Corpus. Pretty sure that's all out of your way, plus they may be all gone by now.

Heartbreaking to see aftermath of the fires.

Please do share your travels, always interesting for us!

Signing off from the Eye Of Irma!!

claudia said...

I can't wait to start reading about your adventures! I just know you are going to have a blast! Safe travels!

Brown Family said...

I have sewing friends that visited Multnomah Falls and the historic Multnomah Falls Lodge this past summer. I told them the fire was dangerously close. They will be happy to know that it did not burn! Packing for an extended trip must be tedious! What to take, Winter costs of jackets or both So many decisions to pack into a small space and not feel cramped!

QuiltShopGal said...

I've not had much internet access this summer and as my computer died, what access I have had was via my phone. I have just received a replacement laptop and finally able to leave a comment. While I've been in smokey areas from fires in BC and Washington, I didn't realize the fires were near Multnomah Falls and the historic Multnomah Falls Lodge. So glad to hear they were saved, but sad to know that the general area, so beautiful and green, was damaged by fires.

Have fun on your trip and share updates as you can.

QuiltShopGal
www.quiltshopgal.com

Sherry said...

Happy trails...I will be following along on your adventure.

quiltzyx said...

Have a good time packing the 5th wheel...:) Those little lemon mousses look so good! I watched a no bake lemon cheesecake video just last night on the One Pot Chef. Also not a "diet" food, but it made me drool anyway. I've really been in a lemon kind of mood lately.

Bon voyage & safe travels to the 4 of you. Thanks, as always, for taking us along and sharing all the photos & info along the way.

OXO

heartsease54 said...

Safe travels to all of you. While you are in the Butte area, there is a really great quilt shop in Deer Lodge, it is in an old bank building. http://www.quiltsinmontana.com/ Well worth a stop and the old territorial prison is there too. It is now a museum.

Kate said...

Hope the preparations over the weekend went well. I didn't check when you were leaving, you may already be on the road starting off on your grand adventure.

Judy1522 said...

Have a great time! I look forward to reading all about it when you are able to post.

QuiltGranma said...

My sis in law had to take one of her cats to the vet, x-rays showed a needle in kitty's tummy. A threaded needle can be a dangerous thing to swallow! Surgery got it out, it was an expensive snack that kitty swallowed! Be careful out there with your quilting and threads, and kitties!