9/14/17

Ringing Rocks of Montana

Oh what a fun day yesterday. We drove way out into the boondocks to see the Ringing Rocks of Montana, and that was our main reason for coming to Butte in the first place. The Ringing Rocks were so remote that the navigation unit on our truck couldn't find them, but Google Maps could! It's magic, I'm telling you. This, from a woman who has considered everything a magical marvel since FAX machines came on the scene sometime in the early 1970's. Yes, I'm very old. And when you consider that FAX machines have pretty much gone extinct, it kind of makes you wonder, doesn't it? Next, I'll be telling you about the pet dinosaur I had as a child.

So anyway...we wound our way over increasingly rugged terrain to find them...


One wouldn't want to try this without a high clearance four-wheel drive vehicle of some kind. It's actually an OHV (Off Highway Vehicle) recreation area located on BLM land. Dirt bikes or ATV's would be perfect, but we were out there with Mike's new truck, which handled it well. There were many ATV trails, which had us wishing this was an ATV trip. We might return to this area on a future trip with the truck camper and the ATV's. And being on BLM land, camping is free.

We reached a point where we were out of cell phone range, and miraculously, Google Maps was still hard at work. Even the voice giving us directions worked right up to where the rocks were located.


When we reached this point, we grew nervous about those sharp, jagged rocks poking up from the surface of the trail. It would have been a bummer to get a flat tire. It was just short of a mile to our destination, and so we got out and hiked the rest of the way.


The place was pretty much abandoned on this Tuesday afternoon, and so we left the truck parked just off the trail. Bye-bye, Truck.


The trail was gravelly and mostly up hill. It was an easy enough hike, but after about half an hour, we were pretty happy to see this sign.


Just about 500 yards farther, they came into view.


We'd brought our own hammer to tap on them, but we wouldn't have needed to. There were plenty supplied right at the site.


Mike was like a kid in a candy store, and he took off to test out their musicality.


So...wanna hear what they sound like? Here's a video of Mike playing them. If you can't see the video, then click right here.


We spent about half an hour there, eating our Clif bars and enjoying the scenery. This image below is the first entry into my sketchbook for The Sketchbook Project. You can click on that badge in my right sidebar to read more about it. My thanks go to my friend, Sandra, for putting me onto this.


My sketchbook will be made up of images from our trip. I'm calling it "One Word Wonders." My one word to describe the Ringing Rocks is "Melodious."

While we sat there, this little critter came along looking for a handout.


Got any Fritos? Cheetos? Doritos? Oh, wow, Clif bars! My favorite!

This part of Montana is really very beautiful. It's high desert, and it reminds us of Bend, Oregon, although it's quite a bit rockier. It was a cloudy day, but we did see the sun at times. Also, it rained in the morning, and I know Montanans are as happy to see the rain right now as Oregonians are. It will help with the fires that are burning. It is still smoky in Butte, but not as bad as it was farther west.


Here's a panorama of the area. You can see the Ringing Rocks on the right side of the image. Remember that you can make the image larger by clicking on it.


After that, we made our way back to the truck. At one point, we crossed a cattle guard. This was something new for us. No wonder those bovine don't want to walk across these. I didn't want to much myself. And, hey, check out my new waterproof hiking shoes...worn for the first time. Stylish, no? Who says old lady quilters can't be fashionistas?


Along the way, I paused to take a picture of these juniper berries. Juniper berries are used to make gin. If you crack them open, they have that perfumy gin smell. Of course, I can never resist cracking one open and sniffing it when I am in their presence.


We found the truck right where we left it...always a welcome sight.


And then we headed for the quilt shop...back out over that rugged terrain we'd come in on. Along the way, we crossed over some abandoned railroad tracks. Off in the distance, the tracks crossed over what appeared to be an earthen dam.


Here's a less-zoomed-in view so you can see it in the context of its surroundings.


I've already posted about the quilt shop where I made a significant "donation." Thanks to all of you who've pointed out the error in my ways in thinking I actually have to "store" my fabric purchases. Silly me...now why didn't I think of the flat-rate box? Our mail is actually being forwarded to a mail service. We aren't asking Holly, the housesitter, to monitor the mail, but Good Sam (an RV club) has a mail monitoring service. We have a physical address in Florida (closed during the hurricane, by the way) where someone opens our mail and then scans it into email for us. Pretty nifty, huh? Anyway...I can always ship parcels to our kids, but their space is not unlimited either. Still, I don't imagine I'll purchase more fabric than will fill two or three rooms of their house. They won't mind, will they?

As I mentioned it rained here yesterday morning. Smitty has staked his claim to the back of Mike's chair where the largest window in the RV is located. From there, he monitors all woofies and other human activities out of doors.


Neither kitty has been out for a walk yet, but we're hoping we'll get them out in the next day or two. We're spending tonight in Billings, Montana, and we're trying out another service where we can find free camping for one night. This second service is called Overnight RV Parking. It's less glamorous than Harvest Hosts since the spaces are located in parking lots of truck stops, Cracker Barrels, Cabela's, Wal-Marts, and others. I haven't read the welcome message yet, and so I can't say much about our obligation to the business in question. There are six located in Billings, and so we'll scope them out when we arrive and see which one we like best.

By the way, thank you to my friend, Jean, who informed me that the KOA in Billings is a nice one. We're looking to save some money this time around, but if none of these free spots looks good to us, we'll definitely give it a shot. And thank you to all of you who have sent me recommendations about restaurants, trails, quilt shops, and other places of interest. Your recommendations are welcome and appreciated.

As for Harvest Hosts, we were able to find accommodations at a winery up the road for Friday. We're asked not to name the host publicly, and so I won't say more about it than that, but I will take pictures while we're there. It will be there that we're hoping to get the kitties out of the trailer for a walk. I've spoken to the hosts on the phone now, and they were very friendly and seemed delighted that we were coming. They asked for no more information from me except to say that we should call when we're about five miles away so that they can "greet us properly." I like the sound of that! Kind of makes you wonder if they'll be throwing a big welcome party, doesn't it? I should probably take a shower, or something.

So that brings you up to date. Today's journey is a relatively short 200 miles, and we'll be getting underway in a few hours.

15 comments:

Debbie said...

Can't believe those tones were from rocks! who would have thought or figured that out! Very cool. Thanks for sharing the hiking adventure too.

Sandra W said...

Those rocks are very interesting. I loved seeing the hammers ready to get used. Wonderful scenery. The mail service is interesting.
We pay for mail forwarding. When at the cottage all mail comes here and when in Toronto it goes the other way. Maximum time it can be used is 6 months so we have it timed perfectly. But it costs us about $175 for each 6-month period.
I'm not a camper or RVer but I do see a lot of KOA sites along the highway. In Canada they seem sort of low-end and are always near the highway. Winery camping seems to be a much better choice. Are their any hosts who have fabric stores.
In my cottage town we often see campers at the local Walmart. I think it's a great idea and saves people money although it's not exactly a camping experience. It's good public relations for Walmart. Canada does have some "Walmart haters"--people who will not buy anything at Walmart and blame the chain for taking away business from local shops.

QuiltShopGal said...

Melodious is a perfect way to describe the ringing rocks. Nature is so intriguing. Thanks for sharing. I've added this to my bucket list, of places to visit. Glad you were able to enjoy it. Great adventure so far. I hope all of it is as wonderful.

QuiltShopGal
www.quiltshopgal.com

Vroomans' Quilts said...

What an amazing natural musical instrument! Thank you for sharing this - I had not heard of this (I don't get out much). I love the documentation of flora, landscape, and especially all the barns - I have a passion for old barns. Continued safe travels.

quiltzyx said...

Good job 'playing' the ringing rocks Mike! Thanks for the video too Barbara!

Cool shoes, very fashionista, I agree. :)

Continued happy camping - give Smitty & Sadie a pet or 2 from me.

crazy quilter said...

Funny being from Texas Cattle guards are a common occurrence in these parts. I am glad you got to experience one. I think got sound of hoofs on the metal and the distance of the rails keep the cows from crossing. But as you probably know Cows are not smart animals so they don't realize they could probably jump over them in most cases. The ringing rocks are new to me and quite interesting. Thanks for the video . Keep on having fun and I do hope you get some stitching in.

WoolenSails said...

What a beautiful place and fun with the musical rocks.

Debbie

Brown Family said...

the ringing rocks are so fascinating! I am glad you shared them! I grew up with cattle guards! I never liked walking over them either! We have been known to shop things home when on a long trip!

I knew you could park on Wal-Mart parking lot for free. We were always under the impression that all you had to do was let the manager know you were there. Also, they are dry camping. You have to have a self contained RV to have bathroom and water.

Christine M said...

Those rocks are amazing, Barbara.

Kate said...

What a cool place! I love Mike's impromptu performance on the rocks. My Guy has been to Billings a lot for work. He enjoys going there, so I'm sure you will find lots of fun stuff to check out.

juliehallfeldhaus said...

I am so enjoying your trip with my morning coffee!! If you are going close to Sheridan Wy be sure and stop at Kings Saddlery and Museum.

Beth said...

Now I'm thinking you should plunk on rocks wherever you go...just in case, and for the contrast.

Dots said...

I enjoy your travels. I have never been to Montana before. I did listen to your video of the Rocks. How cool is that? I had not heard about these rock before. Plus those ones on the road looked pretty sharp. Yikes! What a TRIP! Love to read you story. FUN, FUN, FUN! Wonderful pictures.

rosemt said...

Thank you for posting pictures of your Montana journey. We spent 10 years there and absolutely loved it. So much to see and great quilt stores. This is where I started my quilt love 27 years ago. Have a great time. However, while we were there it did snow everyone month during the 10 years. We were in Great Falls so we got the chinook winds and that did help.

kc said...

Very cool rocks! I'd never heard of ringing rocks before, so thanks for taking us along! Yeah, those rocks along the way look like they're just waiting for some gullible redneck to come along and say, Hey, watch this! or perhaps, Hold my beer! :) Anyway, after your video played, this one popped up, about ringing rocks in PA:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y5cJbcoWaH8

I didn't watch the whole thing, as it was over 3 minutes, and we're on KOA (shudder!!) free internet, which is to say, not very good. But, it's free, and, as you mentioned, free is good. Though, it's NOT really free, when you factor in the cost of overnight at KOA! But, since we're on Holiday Rambler's dime, we're not concerned with price as much as we are location on this trip.

So, about those cattle guards...I didn't know there was any other kind? When we were visiting our friends, who were workamping (yes, we went to visit them for ONE DAY, and ended up WORKING for ONE WEEK, but that's what friends are for, right?!) at a b & b outside Sealy, TX, I got up close and personal with one - much more so than I ever had in the past. Apparently, it was early in the morning, and the dew was still on...and I was in a hurry to go get something for the boys (who knows what or why, but when the boys are working, and they need someone to fetch something, it's usually best to do so in a hurry, especially when it was electrical they were working on), and I stepped on that bad boy, and whoops, foot slipped right down in between the rungs. Down I went, like a sack of potatoes. Of course, the foot stayed trapped in the rungs, therefore the ankle twisted badly. And yet, the boys still needed whatever it was I was fetching. I haven't stepped on one since.

BTW - love the boots! Happy trails, can't wait to see where we go next! (we are headed to KY, for one more sleep, then we land in Indiana, for who knows how long, but I sure hope it's not too long, as it's much cooler here than we are accustomed to or planned for.)