9/6/17

Counting Down the Days

Yesterday was a run-around day. It was time to pick up my quilts from the fair, and so I headed down to Salem early. It's always fun to read the comments from the judges when quilts are entered in a show, win or no-win. This is what they had to say about Snips & Snails:


The comment to "strive for consistent quilting stitch length" amused me. Guilty as charged. These were the comments from those who liked it for the Viewer's Choice:


Hoping you can read those.

Here was the judges' worksheet for Gingerbread Square.


And here were the comments from those who liked it for Viewer's Choice.


Neither won Viewer's Choice. That honor went to the quilt that was Best of Show...not surprising at all. It was a fabulous quilt, and very unusual.


When I got home I had just a few minutes before I needed to pick up the CSA share, but I took some time to switch out the large quilts hanging in my sewing room for these newest versions of quilts returning from shows. It's good to change things up now and then.


This one below functions to cover up an ugly plumbing access panel in my basement sewing room.


And then I just had a little bit of time to get ready to greet our housesitter, Holly, who came for dinner. She'll be moving in Monday after we leave. We gave her final instructions, handed off keys, and generally told her to enjoy the place as if it were her own. It'll give us some peace of mind to have someone here while we're away.


Holly is a student at one of the local colleges, and she should be fine taking care of the place while she attends her classes this year. We have helpful and friendly neighbors who can help her out if anything goes wrong.

This morning I'm heading out early for a dentist appointment...hopefully, nothing will need doing except cleaning and a routine check-up. After that, I have a short grocery shopping list to cover before I head for home. I'm hoping to get my green tomato salsa canned today, and then continue with packing. Things are happening slowly and leisurely for now, but I expect we'll have to pick-up the pace within the next day or two.

Fires are still burning out of control on both the Oregon and Washington sides of the Columbia River in the Columbia Gorge, and the roads are also closed on both sides. We may need to rethink our travel plans for the first days of travel, but we're giving ourselves until Friday to make that decision.

14 comments:

gpc said...

How nice to be able to read the comments about your quilts! I love that people took the time to respond, I don't even know whether we have a viewer's feature at our state fair, or at the one I attended in Illinois. I was a house-sitter several times while I was in college, and I have a cousin who, I believe, made an actual career out of it! It's a good deal all around.

Vroomans' Quilts said...

It's nice to receive the comments - helps with improving ourselves or confirm 'we got it right'. The fires are just heart breaking (along with the flooding). I did house sitting in my college days, too. She looks very sweet and nice to have that stress of an empty house looked after. You've had your share of traveling bad weather areas - make for a safe journey this time.

liniecat said...

So lovely to know others too appreciated your Snips quilt and the reasoning behind it. My friend retired and took up house sitting here in UK, she loves doing it and selects homes with animals so she can care for them too.
Hope those fires settle down and don't cause you any trouble

Debbie said...

So glad you have a housesitter while you take the long trip....excellent idea! Nice to have the quilts home...at least you got instructive comments:)

beaquilter said...

congrats on the ribbons, love those quilts!

Sandra W said...

Interesting comments and suggestions all round. It was interesting that one person like Snips and Snails because you designed it yourself. Also that several people commented on the sentimentality behind it. Both quilts look lovely at home. The other quilt looks so delicate.

Olka said...

It's good, that you have someone reliable to take care of you home! I have only my mom, so when I travel somewhere she can take care of my cats and flat. And actually she's the only one, I can count on. If she's busy, I'll have huge problem.
And please take care of yourselves and if there is dangerous there - change your plans. You can still go in different time!

Lady Jane said...

Fun to read all the comments on your quilts. Love your quilt room. Inspiring place to work.I pray for a safe trip for you and all goes well for your house sitter. Comforting to know she is there. Hugs, lj

Brown Family said...

Nice comments from the judges and viewers! Hopefully Holly will be a good house sitter.

Bertie in Illinois said...

Just discovered your page while looking for a crazy cat pattern I saw a picture of on Pinterest. The barn cats. Your sewing room is gorgeous and your quilts are wonderful! You should never be afraid to enter any quilt you make in a quilt show!

piecefulwendy said...

I think the comments were very encouraging and fun to read. Neat that you've hung your quilts, so they will be there to greet you when you return home. A nice reminder of the wonderful work you do! Sorry that the fires are still burning out of control. So much destruction of such lovely places! Glad you have someone staying at your house. I'm sure Holly will do a wonderful job!

quiltzyx said...

Great comments on your quilts. I especially like, on Gingerbread Square, in the 'needs improvement' box it says N/A!! They look wonderful hanging up at home now too. Nice comments on the viewer's choice ballots too.

I've done some house sitting too, but never for such a long period of time. The very first time I did it, I was taking care of a parrot, an ancient dog and a horse! They actually told me not to worry if the dog died! Oy!
Good luck Holly!

Kate said...

Congrats again on the ribbons from the fair. Very fun comments. Hopefully the they can start getting control of those wild fires so you don't have to rethink your route.

UplayOnline said...

I believe, made an actual career out of it! It's a good deal all around.


ทางบ้าน