9/29/17

Back in the USA!

Thanks for the memories, Canada. You were great! We may cross over again in a week or so, but the weather will be the deciding factor.


We left Gore Bay yesterday morning and drove off Manitoulin Island back to the mainland. We saw more barns along the way.




Usually the barns are either red, or weathered wood color. Sometimes we see green ones, and those are my favorites.


We've seen a few wind turbines in Canada, but not many. Here were a few we saw on the island.


It was one of the few days we've driven without rain...just passing from Point A to Point B. When we stay in a free spot, there is never any water, electricity, or sewer, which isn't a problem because we're completely self-contained as long as our propane and water hold out, and as long as we don't fill our "drainage" tanks. Eventually, we need to dump our tanks and fill our potable water tank, and it's sometimes hard to find a place to do that.

Enter my friend, Cathy, who put us onto a couple of nice Provincial Parks in Canada. We didn't reach Grundy Lake at the right time for a stay-over, but we did use their facilities to dump our tanks and fill up with water.


Also, we parked and had lunch, so it was a good use of their facilities even without an overnight stay. Instead, we moved on to Parry Sound where we spent the night in a Walmart parking lot. It was the first time we'd done that, and generally, we are not fans of Walmart. Nevertheless, they were friendly and welcoming, and we bought some groceries from them.

Just before pulling out today, Smitty exasperated Sadie by finding an unexplored portion of the RV that she hadn't thought about. He sat there sneering at her, while she sat on the floor wishing she was in his spot.


It was a terrible day of driving because it was very dark and rained most of the day. There weren't many opportunities for pictures, but I did get this barn.


And this one.


We were warned of the city traffic on Hwy 400 through Toronto by my friend Elaine, but we really didn't have a choice about our route. It was dark and wet as we passed through Toronto. We couldn't see much, nor did we want to, but you can see the city off in the distance in the image below.


Fortunately, the weather cleared so we could get our first glimpse of Lake Ontario off in the distance below.


And shortly, we crossed over a big tall bridge connecting Burlington and Hamilton.


From there, we could see Lake Ontario


on both sides of the road. You have no idea how much this thrilled us. By "us," I mean me.


And then it was a short distance before we started seeing these signs. If you don't want to go to the USA, better disembark now.


The signs were plentiful.


And eventually, we reached the border crossing into Lewiston, New York.


Here's what our tour book told us about Lewiston:



The customs official at the border crossing was rather unfriendly. We've noticed that the Canadian border crossing people are friendly, while the ones at the USA are rather unfriendly. Hmmmmm. Anyway...he wanted to see inside the fifth wheel. I warned him of the attack cats inside and asked him to come inside quickly and shut the door to avoid releasing them on the public. He seemed unconcerned by this, but did close the door as instructed. Then, he shined his flashlight all over the place and looked inside the bathroom. Apparently no Canadians trying to escape to the USA today, and he allowed us to cross over without further incident. Thankfully, no cats escaped. Also, he spoke with a thick Russian accent. I blame Trump's America.

So anyway...we were in the sweet land of liberty once again, and it always feels good to be home. And, hey, New York! How are ya? It's our first time here!!!


Believe me...we are so ready. From here on, we're going to be crossing off a lot of bucket list items. Niagara Falls is only the beginning.


It's still raining, although the sun is shining temporarily. We unhitched and set up in a loud thunder and lightning storm. There is a little bit of business to take care of...we need to get the rest of the groceries we couldn't get at Walmart (Grrrrrrrrrr), like Campbell's French Onion soup (Really?), and a couple of other things. Also, we need to add Lake Huron, Lake Ontario, and the great state of New York to the side of the RV. We're waiting for warmer drier weather before doing that.

Tomorrow, we'll be off to explore Niagara Falls, and we're pretty excited about that. The forecast is for no rain, so let's hope it's correct. We're here for the next three nights...our longest stay anywhere so far.

16 comments:

Cathy Smith said...

I have noticed the same thing about US border agents. I had an EARLY morning flight coming out of Montreal several years ago. Montreal had been the terminus of a cruise up the Atlantic coast and along the St. Lawrence that originated in Florida. I stayed over a few days to tourist. In Montreal, you clear US Customs while in the airport, prior to boarding your plane. When I reached the agent I greeted him with a friendly hello and handed him my passport. He glared at me and asked with a rather surly manner "What were YOU doing in Canada?". I'm just old enough it was all I could do to not answer "Draft dodging, you a-hole". But, since I wanted to get home, I smiled sweetly and said "Tourist".

Sarah said...

I can't believe you are already in Niagara Falls and just 1.5 hours from me!!! Can't wait to see your bucket list for NY. If it includes Letchworth State Park (Grand Canyon of the East) you must speak up as it's just 5 minutes from my house. Welcome to NY and thank god the surly agent didn't release the felines on the public!

gpc said...

Welcome back to our cranky country. My border experiences coincide with yours, although I do recall that the US agents were nicer to me back in the day when I was young and skinny. Coincidence, I am sure.

liniecat said...

LOL when I was young and thin I was also greeted with a smile when entering the US too, of course I was in an RAF aircraft back then and the Trump wasn't around trying to stop anyone not of Arian-like appearance from entering : )
Glad none of you, cats included, had a hands on body search!

Vroomans' Quilts said...

Welcome to New York!! At least beep your horn at Sarah, I know she would love it. It will be interesting to see what is on your list of stops. Like Sarah, if you are stopping anywhere close, I would be thrilled to catch you.

Quilting Babcia said...

Lots of New Yorkers coming to your aid with info. Letchworth Park is one of the places we highly recommend and it's only about 45 minutes north of us. Lewiston Bridge was very congested this morning. When we went through at about 10 p.m. one Saturday last year we were the only ones going through and they just looked at our passports and waved us through. Go figure!

Terri in BC said...

You should have stopped on the Canadian side of Niagara Falls! You get a much better view of the American and Canadian falls from that side LOL. I was there last September, but was lucky enough to have much better weather than you seem to be having. Have fun on the remainder of your trip!

Cheryl's Teapots2Quilting said...

You are close to Sharon V now. Maybe you'll get to meet up. She has some great barns to check out (and kitties, too).

Brown Family said...

I guess the US wants to make sure there are no stowaways ! Just business, no pleasure in their job! Have fun at the Falls!

Robin said...

Welcome back! Now you will wish you stayed in Canadian Niagra. US Niagra is a tourist trap(at least when we were there). **I guess I'll add my Canada/NY border crossing story. As we stopped they asked for our liscense &said "I see you have FL car tag & liscenses. How many guns are you carrying? Our mouths hung open. C was real nice,said none officer.I very boldly said not everyone in FL has guns. When I get like that my northern accent comes thru. I got an evil eye from C and the guard gave C as look like "poor guy". You have to drive all the way back to FL with her. He let us go I think because he felt sorry for my husband. Enjoy the hikes in/on the cliff + the boat ride. :)

JudyT said...

The waterfalls in NY are awesome and so many history places to see. Watkins Glen is incredible if you can do all the steps or walk up the trail. The Finger Lakes area for wine Sodus Point for beauty. You will have an amazing time in NY!

piecefulwendy said...

Oh yes, we've had the cranky border cross experience too. Too long of a story to tell here. We've stayed in the Finger Lakes area of NY and I would agree that the wineries are worth a stop. Even if the wine isn't all that great, the wineries themselves are beautiful. I have another long story about our stay while there, but that's for another time. Hope the weather holds for your Niagara visit!

quiltzyx said...

The few times I've been through US customs, coming home from Australia, everyone was pleasant. Maybe the ones at the Canadian border are tired of cranky because the Canadians are so nice? LOL Who knows? Glad he didn't let the cats out!

Great barns. I always wonder about the ones that are falling apart. Are they still in use and the owners don't have the time &/or $$ to fix them? Hmmm.

Kate said...

You've covered a lot of ground. I can't imagine driving an RV in city traffic, it's bad enough driving a car! We went to Vancouver when we were in Washington State last July. Going to Canada was easy. Coming back was a nightmare!

Cinder Gal said...

As a truck driver my husband went thru the border a lot. At one border crossing the same guard can work on either side, Canadian or USA. My husband found that when the guard was on the USA side he was cranky but on the Canadian side he was all smiles. Go figure!

SewLisa :o) said...

Welcome to NY state! Not to be confused with New York City. LOL. When we took the ferry from Cape Vincent to Wolf Island, it was the Canadians that weren't at all friendly. It didn't help any that the guy ahead of us tried to take the guard's picture. Yikes!