8/24/17

WIPS On the Move

There was grocery shopping to do yesterday, but my first task of the day was to harvest some lettuce from the greenhouse for our salad at lunch. I like to wash it, give it a spin in my salad spinner, and then refrigerate it for a while before using it. It crisps up so nicely when done that way.


While I was harvesting the lettuce, I noticed some of the tomatoes mocking me by turning red. Possibly I'll get enough to make something with them, but I'm not holding my breath. Regardless, I will harvest enough green ones to make some green tomato salsa. The green tomato salsa is surprisingly delicious, and it's especially nice on eggs. I've tried green tomato relish and green tomato chutney. Neither of those appealed to us, but the salsa isn't half bad.


Tomorrow I'm picking up 40 lbs. of Romas from our farmers, which means it's going to be a weekend spent tackling the tomato tonnage. (Awesome Alliteration.) This year, I'm focusing mainly on pasta sauce, but I'll make one batch of tomato salsa and one of tomato jam before I've used all of them.

On the way to the greenhouse, I noticed the mystery squash/pumpkin plant cultivated by the squirrels is blooming now. It'll be interesting to see what the squirrels are cooking up.


With the tomatoes turning red, I decided to approach my other heartbreak crop...the plums. The tree is shedding some of its fruit now, which is does before the remaining fruit ripens. They're starting to turn purple, but it'll still be quite some time before they can be eaten without having their tartness turn your face inside out. If I can get just one plum tart from these before we leave, I'll be able to declare it a successful harvest. (Our neighbor will make jam from them after we've gone.)


As for the tart, I'd like to try cutting down the recipe to make a Plum Tart for Two...seems like there should be a song using that name, doesn't it? We're doing really well on our diet. I've lost 18 pounds now, and Mike is down 30+ pounds. He's nearing his goal, and I'm about 60% of the way there. He says he'll stick with me on the diet until I've reached my goal. Hopefully, he'll be more than just a wisp of a man by the time we get there.

Having explored the crops, it was time to head to the grocery store. When I finished with the grocery shopping, I had hours to work on the latest block for "And on that Farm." First, I made the onions and carrots.


Then, I made the eggs. With those finished, I could fuse one more of the chicks to its final resting place.


After that, I built the basket, which was a bit of a challenge. I couldn't really fuse it together until I fused the whole thing to the background piece. And then it was finished.


The carrots won't be added until the whole quilt is sewn together. They overlap the sashing a little bit.


So that one is finished. The next time I work on this project, probably next spring, I'll be doing the fourth block, "Here a Bahhh."


Today I need to do a housekeeping chore, feed the birds, water a couple of hanging pots, and then I'll get on to the next block for "It's Raining Cats and Dogs." The next one is the Kitty Hotel. Please note the sign, "No Dogs." Sorry dog people. Kitties do not like woofies.


Sadie is wondering if there is a pool at the hotel. She's practicing to get a gig as the first kitty model in Sports Illustrated's next swimsuit issue. 


8 comments:

Julierose said...

Your "And on that Farm" is really coming along so well...it will be a lovely piece....hugs, Julierose

gpc said...

Can't wait to see the sheep! It looks like it will be baaaaa-utiful. You are doing so well diet-wise. I am helping you out by gaining most every pound you lose, but thinking I had better get on the bandwagon with you one of these days.

Kate said...

Lots of progress. It seems so easy, but I know that those things take lots of time to finish.

crazy quilter said...

If it makes you feel better my tomato crop was very disappointing as well but the okra has been consistent so I am happy. I love your 'On that Farm quilt! Can't wait to see the finish...

WoolenSails said...

I do miss having a garden and fresh tomatoes, I think I need to dig a new plot next year, since our old one is covered with pine tree shade. Love how that is coming out, such a fun piece.

Debbie

Brown Family said...

So even in the sewing room you were dealing with vegetables! I could not believe that I was able to have ripe tomatoes well into August. I picked the last over the weekend and pulled up the vines. They had a lot of new growth and flowers, but it is just to hot for the fruit to set! I had a good run and there is always next year!

claudia said...

Great tip for the lettuce! I'll try to remember that if I ever get to growing lettuces...I suck at gardening. I do have an artichoke and a couple of orange cherry tomatoes. But mostly weeds.
Um...my plum tree. It's a mystery tree this year. Last year it had these beautiful purple juicy tasty plums. Lots of them! This year, a few beautiful juicy tasty purple plums and a plethora of little quarter sized ORANGE plums! They are tasty, and juicy, but I have no clue what the heck is going on. They are all on a completely separate branch so I am thinking someone grafted them, but last year there was no hint of them! It makes me feel even more clueless when it comes to gardening.
Still no sewing on the sewing front. A five year old is not conducive to that pastime! Next...his dad will be here and I am on a break! Then school starts, so he will be there all day... I love him, but YAY!!!

piecefulwendy said...

Tomato tonnage. Hahaha. You are a ball of energy. Congrats on the weight loss for the two of you! Hope you can snag at least one sorta ripe plum before you go. Your quilt is so cute! Enjoy your day, Barbara!