8/31/17

A Trip to the Fair

Mike and I made our way down to Salem yesterday to see the quilts. Of course, it was fun seeing my own quilts there, but there were a lot of cute quilts in yesterday's show. Also, it was fun having Mike along for the first time. He's always been working on these days in the past. I think it was fun for him to see some of the techniques that don't usually make an appearance in my own sewing room.

For today, I have some photos of the quilts. Tomorrow I'll show you some of the other things we saw in other competition categories. Also, I wanted you to see this...the last carnival ride I ever subjected myself to when I was 18. Actually, I didn't even want to go on this ride, having sworn off carnival rides months earlier. But I was there with a date, and I wanted to be a good sport. It might actually have been the last time I gave in to the "good sport" mentality because this ride just about had me barfing before I was mercifully allowed off.

I give you "The Zipper."


If you've never seen or ridden The Zipper, congratulate yourself for your good sense. The cars spin around individually, and they are all on a belt that rotates around the whole ride. Then, for one final appeal to nausea, the whole shebang revolves around on an axis giving you a triple, um, opportunity to upchuck. Yes. That was my last carnival ride. Ever. Just looking at it makes me sick all over again.

Let's move on to the quilts, shall we? This one was hanging at the extreme left of the quilt exhibit on an outer wall. You know that I try not to get too invested in winning when I enter a quilt in a show, but I really wanted this one to win something.


Gingerbread Square was hanging a few quilts down.


I loved the colors in this next quilt. It was hanging right beside Snips and Snails.



Mike was quite taken with this next one. He'd never seen hand applique before, and this one was beautifully done. Incredibly tiny stitching and pretty fabrics.




This next one was hand quilted with the cutest detailing.



I like how she'd used the quilting to add detail and texture to the structures.


Some cute kitties.



Here's one for you woofie lovers.


This quilt had some nice work done with printing on fabric, and it's just a cute quilt to boot.



There was a civil war soldier inside the tent.


To the right of the tent were these details. The dog's ears are three dimensional.


Here's a cute idea. This quilt is made entirely with this woman's retired McDonald's uniform shirts.




Here's a combination t-shirt and machine embroidered quilt honoring the lowly Edsel.




This one gave me a chuckle. Very cute idea and nice work on the embellishing.




This next one won best of show and a slew of other ribbons. Fantastic work, machine quilted using the embroidery module of a domestic machine.


I briefly dabbled in machine embroidery a while back and I quilted a Downy Quilts for Kids using the embroidery module. I certainly didn't do anything as elaborate and beautiful as this.



We took a peek at the back and realized that this was a quilt-as-you-go quilt. The blocks were first quilted and then sewn together. It was impressive how well she was able to get them to match up.


Finally, there was this exhibit. It almost looks like a quilt the way it's hanging there.



I have a few more pictures to show you from the fair tomorrow. For now, I need to get a move on. I'm making an early trip to the grocery store because I have an early afternoon appointment for my monthly pedicure. We have a guest staying with us overnight, here for the memorial service of a friend from high school. I'm not going to the memorial service, since I haven't seen the friend in years, and I've never met his family. It'll be good to see our guest, even under such sad circumstances.

17 comments:

gpc said...

Seriously, you were still doing the Good Sport on Carnival Rides??? Mike is one lucky man. I quit that game when I was 20. Never never again. You know I love your quilts, but fun to see what other people are doing. I checked out the quilts at the Illinois State Fair and am always impressed by how talented and creative people can be. :)

Vroomans' Quilts said...

Two very well deserved ribbons and how delightful to be photo'ed with them at the event. I haven't done carnival rides since a very young child - my stomach couldn't handle them way back then!

Quilting Babcia said...

Congratulations again! And thanks for showing some of the other quilts from the fair. Haven't been on a carnival ride in probably 40 years, and that suits me just fine!

claudia said...

I love seeing you next to your winners! You must have had so much fun. Thank you for including pictures of the other quilts. It always amazes me what people do. It motivates me to try harder.
Can't wait to see your other pictures tomorrow.

Judy1522 said...

Congratulations on the first place win on both of your quilts.

quiltzyx said...

I was never one for carnival rides really. I am quite sure I wouldn't have gone on the zipper in any case!!

Love the pics of you with your quilts. :) And thanks for showing us some of the other quilts too. Glad also to see those blue ribbons!!

Sandra W said...

The photo of you with your winning quilts helps give a perspective of their size--especially with Snips and Snails. That really is a super quilt. I enjoy it when you share photos of q-fairs. Nice to see what's happening elsewhere.

WoolenSails said...

Congratulations on the ribbons, well deserved.
The houses quilt looks like a yoko Saito pattern from the quilting magazine?

Debbie

Brown Family said...

Beautiful quilts! Especially the first two! The childhood memories is a cute concept! The details on the houses is fantastic. and of course, there is a kitty and a pup! I did an in the hoop embroidered quilt and ti took many spools of thread and months to make. I am not fond of the quilt now.

Dana Gaffney said...

The news has turned me off to carnival rides and I know that Zipper wouldn't be on my list anyway, I remember it well from my youth.
It's nice that Mike was along and enjoyed looking at the quilts.

Debbie said...

Congrats once again for the quilts. Thanks for sharing some great photos of others....loved the detail of the hand applique one and its quilting.
As for the Zipper....someone would be crazy to think they could get me on that thing. I am sure you are smarter than ever now:)

piecefulwendy said...

I rode on a similar ride, but I think it was called the bullet. Same principle, way too much spinning. The ride didn't bother me, but the guy running it was creepy. So great to see you by your quilts! Congratulations! Thanks for sharing the other quilts as well; there were some beauties.

Lou said...

Congratulations!!!! I love both quilts!
I do not ever ride any rides anymore! I have control issues so if I can't drive them I want no part:) haha!!! Sounds good right?
The other quilts were lovely as well:)

Beth said...

Thanks for the trip to the fair! Seeing your quilts beribboned was the best part, but it was fun to see what else was happening, and to hear about Mike's opinions. I'm always interested in what catches John's eye--sometimes I'm even surprised by what it is he likes about a specific quilt; I'll be thinking it's the subject and he'll say, "Don't you like those two colors together?", or the opposite. Good thing I quiz him, or I could run off in the wrong direction when I start on some Top Secret Project.

Kate said...

Looks like you have a wonderful fair. I don't do rides, motion sickness gets me ever time, even since I was a kid. Beautiful and fun quilts. Congrats again on your ribbons. Very, very cool!

Jenny - the lilac cat said...

Many congratulations on your quilt ribbons. Very well deserved. I especially love the quilt of your brother. Every fabric and stitch carefully made in his memory. It's an amazing quilt and tribute to him.

Lee said...

Shoot! I missed seeing your fair entry quilts. I was there on the 28th. As my aunt has limited internet, and had already used up her allotment for August, I hadn't been following my blogs. Her grandson had shown a sheep, and gave a presentation in probably the same building...I did see some quilts there, but as we were under some time constraints, I didn't take the time to actually look at them. My bad!